What's going on with the boards

Carl

This is a transitional period for Songfacts. We had a lot of trouble keeping the site fast and stable, so we did a lot of testing. We decided to upgrade our database software and make some code changes to get the searches moving faster. We also decided to upgrade the boards.

During the diagnostic process, we took down the boards so we could see what was going on and start the transition to the new boards. I wasn't sure these boards would work with the new software, but they seem to be doing OK. We'll keep a close eye on them and there's a chance we will have to take them down again if they clog the main site, but it will be just until we get the new system working.

Best case scenario:

Everything works great until we make a smooth transition to the new boards.

Worst case scenario:

We have to take the boards offline until we develop the new system (all existing posts and users should import).

I hated taking the boards offline, but we had to really hunker down and get these technical problems solved. To be clear: we love these boards and they're a very important part of the site. I'm hoping that in a few months, we can spend a lot less time dealing with technical issues and focus on the many exciting things we can accomplish here at Songfacts.

• 1 month later...

SQL ERROR: Wed, Aug 03 2005 14:20:35 -0700 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 157

I get this error between the main menu bar and the forum list every now and then.

No, now I'm getting this one in Films and Music and Random Thoughts when I post something:

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 104

SQL ERROR: Thu, Aug 04 2005 01:13:41 -0700 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 130

Whenever I do a search for anything, I get a SQL error and it always draws no matches, even for a simple word like "music".

SQL ERROR: Thu, Aug 04 2005 04:20:06 -0700 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /Users/songfact/Sites/songfacts/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 157

The last 2 weeks, we've had a ton of traffic. The main site has held up very well, but the boards are having a hard time handling it. Fortunately, we're moving to a new system that will be much faster. We won't give up on you guys.

I understand the frustration when the boards are slow - I just ask that you guys at least periodicly check back because we will have a great system in place soon.

:shades: