Musical Cults You Don't Understand

Batman

Hi Gisela, Katie and Kevin. Yep, John Paul is in Rock And Roll Heaven right now XXX. I think ONE Kiss album (Best Of) would do me Katie, although my eldest son has a few of theirs. Also, Zappa in Small Doses only Kevin.

As Batman says, he's more of an Album person, but I'm really a Singles person. The last CD I bought that wasn't a "Best Of/ Greatest Hits" compilation was "Come On Over"/ Shania Twain. That was 1998/99?

When I look at buying a 50s/60s/70s Compilation now, I have to count how many songs are on it that I DON'T have to see if it's worth it. And make sure they're not re-records too.

Cheers to All. :)

Hey - except for KISS (and ICP) - I really like most all the groups you guys have mentioned - and THE WHITE STRIPES are on a par with Tool, Kings of Leon, Audioslave, and Heartless Bastards as far as my current obsessions go. Jack White proved himself as producer with his work on Loretta Lynne's "Van Lear Rose" -- had to be one of the best albums of last year- along with Elephant. And before the Kiss army declares war - I understand the impulse but really - are they any different from Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, and any number of later copy cats.

Katie, I LIKE Kiss. I would put "I Was Made For Lovin' You" in my all time Top 100. "Shandi" and "Sure Know Something" are 2 more of my favourites (and they didn't even make the U.S. Top 40). I'm not an Album listener. I usually have my stereo on "random play" if I'm not playing Compilations.

:D :D :D

• 2 months later...

I don�t think so, Laurie... I did take acid (doesn�t it show in my posts? ) but never really loved the Dead. And even on acid, I loved the Bee Gees..

On the other side, I have always been a super fan of Jefferson Airplane and Pink Floyd... even before I begun to take acid!

I think I found one of Edna's lost posts! :shocked:

Here's one I don't get: Stevie Nicks

I used to be pretty big on her music but I still don't get people's obsession with her. Her voice is pretty unique but not great. Her lyrics can be poignant but mostly they're just... how do I put this? Out there. Weird. Half the time I don't know what the heck she's even singing about. And the songs of hers that are really great usually derive their greatness from the contributions of other musicians she's worked with, like Tom Petty and various members of the Heartbreakers.

Her fans - or chiffonheads as they refer to themselves - are something else. Let me tell you. They're absolutely rabid. Even the slightest criticism of her and they're on you like a pack of wolves.

A lot of her fans are gay men and there's an annual event called "The Night of a Thousand Stevies" that is a freak show of men in chiffon drag (and a few women dressed up too).

But that's normal compared to other things I've come across. I've come across several pieces of fanfiction (some very sexually explicit) in which her fans have come up with all sorts of fantasies of Lindsey Buckingham's wife being kidnapped or murdered or otherwise taken out of the picture thus allowing him and Nicks to be together as a family with his three children. I also recently came across a post on another message board in which a fan had a dream that the mythical character Rhiannon came to her and told her, among other things, that Stevie is a lesbian and that she's secretly been in a long term relationship with one of her backup singers (the singer in question is married to Stevie's brother). Rhiannon also told this fan something very important and urgent that the fan must somehow relay to Stevie, but the post did not say what this was.

I could keep going on and on... but I think you all probably get the picture.

I have to say I never got the excitement over Pink Floyd. Personally, I find them overrated, highly.

As for the White Stripes, I think some of their stuff is brilliant and some of it is just bad. But then again, is that not the case with most bands?

Also, I take huge issue with the amount of mainstream 'screaming' going on. I can't take much more of it before I die. It's terrible.

As for newer bands, The Shins and The Killers are highly overrated. It's insane.

Laura

Edited by Guest

Here's one I don't get: Stevie Nicks

Her lyrics can be poignant but mostly they're just... how do I put this? Out there. Weird. Half the time I don't know what the heck she's even singing about.

What intrigues me about this is that I understand completely what she's singing about. Or at least I think I do! I've always loved her lyrics, first and foremost, and her voice and music, of course.

Maybe she is strange and unusual, but as Winona Ryder said in "Beetlejuice" ~ "I myself am strange and unusual." Maybe it takes one to know one. =:P

The stuff I write is hard for people to figure out, too, sometimes. But it makes perfect sense to me! :jester: