Most Unique Guitar Tones

Batman

A lot of the guitar on Abbey Road. Also, Boston has a pretty recognizable sound. And as Batman said, Jimi Hendrix. The only Hendrix album I own is Electric Ladyland, but I love it.

That's probably my favorite Hendrix album. It's terrific!

the edge - you can recognise his playing a mile off from the tone.

Yes, but not only the tone, the style in which he plays. He plays very minimaly, and relies a lot on reverb.

Also, I agree about Thin Lizzy. The dual guitar solos are very recognizable.

Come on the most instantly recognizable tone is none other than Mr. Young. No matter if you're listening to some Buffalo Springfield or some CSN and Y or crazy horse, or solo work, the instant a solo comes in you just go 'holy crap, it's Neil' 'cuz his style is just so grungy and angry, and that comes out in the tone.

P.S. 'Everyone knows this is Nowhere' is probably my fave LP that I own, Down by The River and Cowgirl in the Sand just rock so incredibly much.

kevin, the thread is not about best or most innovative guitar players, a thread which has been done to death! this one is about 'unique guitar tones' and whether you think the edge was particularly brilliant or nor, you can't argue that his tone isn't unique!

Come on the most instantly recognizable tone is none other than Mr. Young. No matter if you're listening to some Buffalo Springfield or some CSN and Y or crazy horse, or solo work, the instant a solo comes in you just go 'holy crap, it's Neil' 'cuz his style is just so grungy and angry, and that comes out in the tone.

P.S. 'Everyone knows this is Nowhere' is probably my fave LP that I own, Down by The River and Cowgirl in the Sand just rock so incredibly much.

Couldn't have said it better meself. Listen to his unplugged album too, nothing sounds so full of emotion and raw and real as that.

But I'd have to say John McLaughlin has the most distinct style. No one sounds like him at all. Robert Lockwood Jr. is pretty distinct sounding too.