The Girl From Ipanema

Tionne

Hey

I'm trying to find the English version of The Girl From Ipanema that was sung by a male in the 1960s. For some reason I keep thinking of Bing Crosby, I know it's not him but I think the guy I'm thinking of sings in the same kind of laidback way.

Anybody know who I'm talking about?

You're probably thinking of the Joao Gilberto version (the original). I have that on a Stan Getz compilation and I recall feeling disappointed it wasn't Astrud on vocals :beatnik:

Edit: You couldn't possibly be thinking of the Frank Sinatra version that I just read about on AMG!

You're prolly thinking of Stan Getz. He hit the #5 position on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1964 with that song. The song was recorded together by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto.

This version was also a #1 adult contemporary hit in the US

The original was on the Getz/Gilberto album. The song was to be sung in Portuguese and in English by Joao Gilberto. During the recording session Joao had difficulty pronouncing the English lyrics. His wife, Astrud was coaching him. Getz (who played sax) suggested that she try singing instead. She gave it a try and the rest (as they say) is history.

I'm sure the version you are thinking of is indeed by Frank Sinatra from his mid 60's album with Antonio Carlos Jobim. Many other singers at the time recorded this song including Johnny Mathis and Tony Bennett. But Sinatra's sounds like the one you describe.

I know it's not Sinatra's version cause I would have recognized his voice.

I think I saw one of those infomercials for CDs and I saw the guy singing it on that, you know how they show little clips?

I'm looking into the other people you guys mentioned so hopefully it's one of them, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...