Songs mis-used in commercials

bazooka

Ok, I was listening to the radio when i was coming home from school, and I heard a Commerical for The NTJ news network, And For What It's Worth by Buffalow Spningfeild was on it.

It was about a Little girl asking her Dad about things Like "Daddy, do only birds get the Flu?"

Isn't For what its worth a protest song?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst song misuse ever may be the 1-minute spot for the TV series Lost that ran on ABC during Super Bowl XL. They used the late Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love" (and even incorporated footage from the song's famous video) but digitally edited the chorus: "Might as well face it, you're addicted to Lost". To make matters worse, Palmer's accent makes it sound more like "you're addicted to lust". Two weeks later, I'd wager Palmer's still turning in his grave.

"Fortunate Son" was used by Wrangler to push the patriotic splendor of their jeans. The song is about a kid who gets drafted and has to fight a war while George Bush got to sort of serve in the National Guard because his daddy was important.

I remember that one. All they played in that commerical were the lyrics "Some people born made to wave the flag, ooh the red white and blue!" and then they just said the jeans name. It was really tacky.

Not as tacky as incumbent politicians who must have been half asleep while they listened to the radio and picked songs like "Born in the U.S.A." and "Pink Houses" (songs that clearly talked about problems within America, probably created by the current administration) as their rallying anthems. Hmmm....a song is only about 4 minutes, surely they can listen to it all?

The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" has been used countless times...Queen's "I Want to Break Free" was used in a Coke Zero commercial...Led Zeppelin's "Rock 'n' Roll" in the car commercial...AC/DC to seel the black RAZR phone...ERRRGH!! WHEN WILL IT END?!?!?! If you're gonna use music for commercial purposes...use Twisted Sister...they were a commercial band from the beginning. I'm just waiting for Anarchy in the U.K. by The Sex Pistols to be used to sell Nike shoes or Wrangler pants.....and it's not a commercial, but "Who are you" used as the CSI theme...what the hell?

I saw a Target stores commercial playing of all things, "Nothing Can Change The Shapes of Things To Come." As I recall, this was the main theme for the 1960's "We'll toss everybody over 30 into reeducation camps and take over the world" movie, "Wild In The Streets." The movie was thin and exploitative, even in it's heyday, but there's no mistaking the "Youth Fascist" message. Oh well, I suppose it's no worse that Mercedes-Benz using Janis Jopiln's "Mercedes-Benz" to sell their overpriced German iron. :stars:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...