Wasted Talent

Batman

Name any time a talent has gone to waste, in any sort of form. I'm not going to go for the obvious and say Hendrix, because I know everyone else will say that anyways, and I think in his short career, he jam-packed it full with great music.

Travis Barker - Great drummer, terrible band (blink 182)

Cream would have been better if they were more versatile

Led Zeppelin spent a long time making the movie "The Song Remains The Same" and that time making the movie could have been spent making another album or two, while they were still in their prime.

The guy who does the guitar solos in the band Sum 41 is pretty good, but I can't stand the band.

This sorta has to deal with wasted talent or lack there for of.....

The Beatles having a trumpet in For No One. They should have been smarter than that to have a bleeping trumpet in any of their songs.

I think Rush would have been a great band if they switched singers, so you can could say it's a waste of talent since the other people were good and he ruined it.

I think Metallica may fit into this. They were a great, talented band in the 80's, but they changed their sound during and after the black album, and now they pretty much suck. If they could go back to playing songs in the style of "Fade to Black" and "Master of Puppets" I think all the fans they have lost would come back.

Yes, but bands eveolve, and they may lose a certain percentage of their core of fans, but they also gain new ones.

a perfect example of this is Aerosmith. I was with them in the 70's and the early 80's. Then, they changed. I can't stand anything they've done since 87 or so, but they still sell records. New sound, new generation, new fans.

Queen - One of the best bands of the 70's, gave in to 80's peer pressure (the pressure to make bad music). I like some eighties Queen, but much of it is bad.

Guns n Roses - The band is one of the best, but I can't stand Axl's voice. He sounds so whiny and high pitched and annoying. He sounds like a screeching cat on the high notes, and on the low notes, he sounds as if he is kind of vomiting the words out of his mouth.

Queen - One of the best bands of the 70's, gave in to 80's peer pressure (the pressure to make bad music). I like some eighties Queen, but much of it is bad.

Guns n Roses - The band is one of the best, but I can't stand Axl's voice. He sounds so whiny and high pitched and annoying. He sounds like a screeching cat on the high notes, and on the low notes, he sounds as if he is kind of vomiting the words out of his mouth.

:bow: I could have written this myself.

I'm sure there are many who will disagree with my selection, but here goes. Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist. Technically, he is every bit as good as Clapton and Page, but almost nothing he recorded after he left the Yardbirds is worth listening to. What a waste of talent.

:drummer:

This sorta has to deal with wasted talent or lack there for of.....

The Beatles having a trumpet in For No One. They should have been smarter than that to have a bleeping trumpet in any of their songs

Jman....being a fan of brass bands (Blood,Sweat & Tears - Chicago - Earth, Wind & Fire, etc.) I think the use of brass in song brings a new quality to the song. As far as Beatles songs go, Earth, Wind & Fire did a nice cover of Got To Get You Into My Life using brass.

I'm sure there are many who will disagree with my selection, but here goes. Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist. Technically, he is every bit as good as Clapton and Page, but almost nothing he recorded after he left the Yardbirds is worth listening to. What a waste of talent.

Agreed. Except for the song E-Pro.

i'm pretty sure everyone ricky jervais knows has seen him in 'the office' and i'm pretty sure he doesn't mind either - his bank balance is looking quite healthy these days!!

Ahhh... did not know this was an actor/comedian performance. I thought someone had caught a slightly tipsy fellow at an office party with their home camera. Thanks for the heads up. In that case.... Dance on, Ricky!

Yes's later stuff. I also think that they should have recorded an unplugged album with just the Grand Piano, Bass, Guitar and singer. Sounds crazy huh.

How about Blind Melon! God stupid stupid Shannon Hoon, goes and OD's after coming from rehab and kills a band that could have In my opinion been ther greatest of all time.

Finally somebody other than me recognizes Dave from Sum 41's talent! Thank you Batman.

Jeff Lynne. I can't stand ELO.

Yeah, I was baffled how Beck Hansen came into the picture. The guy was pretty much one of the best musicians to come from the 90s.

Wasted talent? Look no further than Johnny Marr or Stuart Copeland. After the disbandment of The Smiths and The Police, they pretty much faded completely into oblivion as a footnote of once great bands. Further wasted talent? Guns 'N Roses could've been the next big thing for the entire decade of the 90s had they stuck to business. Once they broke up, it was the different parts not adding up anywhere close to the total put together. Only musicians whose solo work I liked was Izzy Stradlin and he barely cut it. Anyway, the guy was doing Blues-Rock, so it's like comparing apples and oranges with his past work in G'NR. Maybe Gilby Clarke, but he came later into the scene of the band and of his solo work...