Whatcha Watchin On TV Now?

_Laurie_

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

"Weird U.S." on The History Channel, where "Mark and Mark," two New Jersey guys search out strange facts, people, etc. outside of New Jersey. Now they're on their way to New Orleans to look at "The City of The Dead," the above ground crypt cemetaries! (THIS is a vacation stop!?) =:P

• 3 weeks later...

I can't stop watching the news from New Orleans - this is beyond unbelievable! It looks like a third world country. At least the President finally shows up today and they get some food and water to the refugees -- refugees in the United States? How is that possible...babies dying on camera --- I don't understand why they don't put these people up at all the closed up military bases - it wouldn't take much to turn the water and power back on. We got medical care to the victims of the tsunamis faster than this. People don't have insulin or heart meds they need. Soon they'll be dying from dysentary and malaria...I'm at a loss to figure out how this is allowed to go on and on.

I just watched the Concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief. There were only a handful of artists, ones with some sort of connection to the disater area (i.e., relatives, home, etc.)

It was only an hour long. Here are a few thoughts:

Harry Connick was ok, he did a few tunes, backed by a really good ragtime ensemble.

Tim McGraw was his usual wimpy, weepy, blah, bland spineless, untalented self. The other half of the fan-plastic duo, his wife Faith Hill, was also there, and is easily the better of the two singers. He sings like he's got a stomach ache. Over all, they were forgetable.

Aaron Neville is just freakish, with his linebacker body and tiny voice. What's up with that cross on his cheek? Is that a tattoo?

Between artists, there we celebs reading off telepromptors, asking for donations. One who didn't read off one, though, was Kayne West. He made a complete idiot of himself. He went on this diatribe about U.S. soldiers shooting and killing black people down in N.O., finally getting in "George Bush doesn't care about black people" before they finally cut away from him.

Now, I understand he's upset with the portrayal, and I have to agree, it is embarrassing for white people, the way the media has portrayed the race images from N.O.

However, there is a time and a place for everything, and this wasn't the place for him to act that way. This was a somber setting, designed to raise money for hurricane victims.

Jr I watched the same show and had exactly the same feelings. Didn't it just seem, no matter how good the intentions, and these people had a vested interest in this situation, that it was just not enough? Obviously nothing will be enough.

I keep thinking about 9/11. The entire country rallied at a moments notice. We see what went into this tonight. No matter how good the intentions, it's not enough.

I don't know when we get actual numbers, but the scope of this disaster far outweighs 9/11. The death toll mey turn out to not be as great, but when you think about it, in some cases these peoples have lost thier lives as much as if they had died. asome optimists will come back fine, but some were so frustrated and depressed to begin with, they may never recover. We may be losing an entire major US city. At least 9/11 was contained to certain areas.

I'm not ashamed to say I shed more than a few tears this week. My tears and pennies are not enough. But with enough people...The American people will prevail I believe if it's inspite of our government!

Why don´t they send the whole US Army there? or maybe just half of it? It´s America... I´m frightened to think there is such a desorganization after such a mess... and I´m so sorry I won´t be watching the news for a while. I wish I could do something.

You know edna, we can't do that. Bush has almost all outr resources tied up in Iraq. Although he denies it, the National Guard (the entity that should be coming to the aid of new Orleans)is extrememly depleted here at home. I don't mean to question any Iraq decisions, but we have to be able to care for our home!

All in all it's just not right. I've become so depressed over this situation. My Aunt is there, and although I now know she's physically ok, she is within walking distance of New Orleans(maybe 20 miles, across the causeway) and I fear displaced people will be looking for any dry spot, with a roof, water and food. Her son is with her now, and I hope he will be able to convince her to leave, as we now know it will be months before she has power again. He cannot stay forever, and I would truly fear for her safety.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with TV, although it started with that TV special.

Carry on... :crazy: