Big Mess this Weekend

Carl

Last week was going great in the world of Songfacts. We were getting tons of traffic, the site was behaving beautifully, song information was pouring in, the birds were singing...

So it's late Friday night and I'm about to go to bed. As an insomniac, I have to build up a sizable "sleep dept" before I can get any R.E.M.s, so I had been up for a while and ready for a good, healthy slumber. We had some good new song entries, so I figured I would update the database before I crashed (bad choice of words). Without getting too technical, all hell broke loose. The site went completely wacky and nothing would bring it back to life. Of course, this happened early on Memorial Day weekend when any tech support person worth his slide ruler was off duty. Let's just say my sleep debt reached unhealthy levels.

Some nice people did what they could and we were able to get the database loaded and bring the site to life. We'll look into why it happened and do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

One thing I hate about these total meltdowns is that there is no way to let you guys know what's going on. We couldn't even keep a homepage up for more than a few minutes. Hopefully, all will be well and we can learn from this one. :elvis:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that you do this on purpose from time to time to highlight our emotional and psychological dependence on Songfacts. As we sit there, dumbfounded, believing in our inner recesses, that you have singled "just me" due to some indiscretion...we keep entering songfacts new ways only to find we are still shut out.

then on a sunny Monday morning...You are back and all is right with the world...but lurking in our minds is the thought that "It could happen again"...You guys are smart! :stars:

I understand that you do this on purpose from time to time to highlight our emotional and psychological dependence on Songfacts. As we sit there, dumbfounded, believing in our inner recesses, that you have singled "just me" due to some indiscretion...we keep entering songfacts new ways only to find we are still shut out.

then on a sunny Monday morning...You are back and all is right with the world...but lurking in our minds is the thought that "It could happen again"...You guys are smart! :stars:

RonJon, you are so right!! These thoughts were also racing through my head!!

:laughing:

Seriously, it is great to be able to get back into the site. Next time, can you please crash on a weekday rather than the weekend? ::

What's frustrating is that we make some tweaks and everything will be great for a while, and then it will bog down again. We're going to bring in some new blood to look under the hood. We appreciate your continued patience.

That's a good marketing spin, call it Classic Computing. All the best computer technology of the 60's and 70's. Have a contest to win a Bowmar Brain Calculator. Original value $200...same technology today $1.89.

All kidding aside, songfacts is worth the wait. Yeah it's frustrating, but it will be dealt with in time. The cost of new equipment and consulting is astronomical. None of us a paying for these services.

Keep checking for the fix...I'm sure "It Won't Be Long" Beatles