Dental Work

PSYCHOcatholic

Picture this...

Its friday morning...you get up early and head to the dentist. You take 4 mg. of Ativan and Lortabs with some orajel on your gums. They pull...only..11 teeth and replace them! YOWZAS! It hurt pretty dern bad! Im swollen. But, i have movie star teeth now...this is a reason i havent been around posting. Im in some pain, and on lots of drugs.

I like ativan, that stuff works! I look like a chipmunk...when i get a picture, ill post it.

Peace!

Tell me some of YOUR dental stories!

Um..I'm with Rach on this one...Why would you have 11 teeth pulled?!

I have the weakest teeth on the planet. I get a filling almost every time I visit the dentist, call me his favourite customer - I'm funding his kids private schooling! I have acidic saliva which causes all the wonderstuff in all the new toothpastes not to work and not protect my teeth. I floss daily, and take calcium supplements as well as get my RDA of all the healthy stuff I need, brush twice daily or after every heavy meal, and I still get cavities. Go figure ::

One of my friends had 16 teeth removed in two days... it´s a long story. But Psycho, you are very young to have your teeth removed... Keith Richards did but he was fourty or more... and good reasons to do it. And the money for the new ones.

Teeth... :doh:

Being a dental nurse, I have plenty of horror stories to tell you! A lot of people need to have all of their teeth removed for various reasons, and I can sympathise with you Paul. It really knocks you for six.

Personally I have had four permanent teeth removed to stop crowding in my jaw, then I had braces. After the braces came off I had gum surgery to snip all the little ligaments in my gums so my teeth wouldn't spring back to their original postion. Then I went into hospital to have four wisdom teeth removed and a frenectomy (that's where they cut the piece of skin that joins your top lip to your gums).

Now I have nice straight teeth!

well i have something that will be a horror story soon, i haven't changed two teeth, had an x-ray but there are no teeth under them, so my baby teeth will fall off! so i'll have to put fake ones

my best friend had a cold water bottle thrown at her and her front tooth fell out, with the root. they managed to preserve it and the dentist had to put back-she had to wear a wire (not braces) to keep it in. a few year later she had an accident and two front teeth came off (dangling from the root) and were put back. what a nightmare!

When i was first born, i wouldnt grow...so the doctors put me on steroids, which turned my teeth very very soft. Cracked all the time, chipped alot. And it was just the top teeth, so they decided to pull em and fix em. I can smile again!! Im very happy now.

Er, ah....and, ahem....what about the not growing thing? Over that? Hope so for your sake. (oh yeah, and for hers).

I have a few fillings.

I had one tooth pulled last year. There wasn't anything wrong with the tooth. There was an abcess (is that spelled correctly?) under the tooth.

Root canal: 1100.00

Pull the tooth: 25.00

And that's with insurance. A no brainer.

I don't have any dental horror stories to tell, touch wood they have just been your routine fillings and the occasional abcess to deal with. Whats the betting I get toothache tomorrow for saying that.

Anyway, once I've had my abdomen operation in 24 days time I guess I'll be able to open my own thread about our hospital experiences!

my parents have spent a fortune on orthodontic work for me. i had a very weak jawline and really crooked teeth. started with a retainer at thirteen, then train tracks til sixteen, and a retainer ever since. i didn't wear the retainer enough and had to put my train tracks on again last summer. it's still not all sorted and i'm fed up with it at this stage. i think my dentist has grown quite attached to me and that's why he keeps having me come back! :P otherwise my teeth are very straight, white, nice and healthy, a few of those fisher sealant things (sp?) but nothing else, thankfully. have to be careful though - my mum has cared for her teeth obsessively and they've still gotten bad. it's best not to take them for granted even when they're good i think.

About twenty years ago I had a horrible toothache. My wife told me to take it like a man! She went through the whole "I gave birth to your son and pulled through it" story to which the only reply I had was this is worst than childbirth! (All you ladies can now yell at me)

Anyway, it was about 2:30 in the morning and I could not do anything but cry as the pain was so immense. I have had temporary back paralysis, broken bones, etc. but nothing could ever exceed the tooth pain I felt that night. It was so bad that at one point I was banging my head against the wall. I went out in the middle of the night hoping to find some Bronx bodega open. I did, they had OraJel and I sucked on it all night like it was candy. Next morning the dentist started root canal and I was finally relieved.

I have always believed nerve endings in your teeth was just one of those little jokes God pulled on us!

Root canal work has a low success rate. Sometimes you spend all that money on root canal and end up having the tooth removed anyways.

Needles at the dentist are often the worst part for a lot of people. We have observed that women face the prospect of needles much better than men. We've had grown men screaming, sweating and running out the door!

Needles don't scare me at all :thumbsup: Had enough of them jabbed into me over my lifetime to have developed a respect for them and their work.

What does bother me is that I constantly dream that I am losing my teeth or that they are loose in my mouth or have been knocked out ::

Root canal work just gives a couple of years to your tooth before it´s removed definitely. I think God was sleepy or something when he invented teeth, he could have done them better. Humans are bound to the dentist chair for all their lives, unless they are very lucky. Cleaning your teeth eight times a day and seeing your dentist once a month is OK but there are so many other reasons why you can finally lose them...

I´ve always been very carefull with my teeth and they were really beautiful until I had a health problem when I was 25. Now they are beautifull again, but I had all kind of problems... and tons of money spent.

I´m not afraid of needles, I have to check my health twice a year... but I wish I would never go to see a dentist again.

It's amazing how many of you folks with dental complaints are UK/European. Have you folks added fluoride to your public drinking water yet?

Scientists in the US fear a dental epidemic due to the popularity of bottled spring water which of course has no fluoride. It's what I drink, but I didn't start on it until I was in my 50's and my teeth are strong and white.

• 2 months later...