US vs UK

Batman

UK=Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Clapton, The Who, The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, U2, Cream, Queen.

Us=The Blues, Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, Dead Kennedys, Nirvana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Satriani, The Doors, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, Joplin, Santana.

I'm going to have to go with the Uk.

US: Bob Seger, jefferson Airplane, Cars, Blondie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Smithereens, R.E.M., Bruce, Jimi, Janis, Doors, Flying Burrito Bros, Quicksilver, Neil Diamond, Carpenters, Neil Sedaka, Carly Simon, New York Dolls, Bob Dylan, Beach Boys, The Band, (may I borrow Neil Young and Leonard Cohen?), Simon&Grafunkel, Elvis, jerry Lee Lewis, Santana, Eliott Murphy, Otis, Motown: Robinson, Four Tops, Supremes, Marvin gaye, etc. Ike and Tina, CCR, Byrds, Patti Smith, Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, well, that´s enough...

UK: Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Brit Pop, Cure, Ultravox, Clash, Pink Floyd, Animals, Them, Who...

I voted for the :bow:Brits :bow: cos they have The Beatles, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Hollies, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Elton John, The Who, Queen, Def Leppard, The Zombies and Pink Floyd.

My fave bands from the US are The Ramones, Alice Cooper, The Doors, Metallica, KISS, The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and Fleetwood Mac.

One of my favourite musical periods was the Brit Invasion, so that's why the Brits get my vote!

The British rockers were far and away more creative and more talented....and still are to this day. The Americans try to duplicate what originates in Britain, but by then it's already been done....and usually done better.

Not to say that there are no great bands in the U.S., the great ones that immediately come to mind are the Ramones, Doors, Cheap Trick, Seger, Skynyrd. These guys were very original, but as a whole, Britian rules!!

(In my best Johnny Rotten voice)

"ROCK ON, YA BLOODY FAGS!! GET PISSED...DESTROY!!"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I think that alot of the reason for the popularity of U.K music is that it addresses the class system --- which is/ has been alive and well in N. America , too. It is just (smugly) denied by those in positions of priveledge, and the rest of us like to play along with the fantasy . But something is eating at us ... which we all know the answer to , but can't clearly define -- because it is cleverly denied.

US: Bob Seger, jefferson Airplane, Cars, Blondie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Smithereens, R.E.M., Bruce, Jimi, Janis, Doors, Flying Burrito Bros, Quicksilver, Neil Diamond, Carpenters, Neil Sedaka, Carly Simon, New York Dolls, Bob Dylan, Beach Boys, The Band, (may I borrow Neil Young and Leonard Cohen?), Simon&Grafunkel, Elvis, jerry Lee Lewis, Santana, Eliott Murphy, Otis, Motown: Robinson, Four Tops, Supremes, Marvin gaye, etc. Ike and Tina, CCR, Byrds, Patti Smith, Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, well, that´s enough...

UK: Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Brit Pop, Cure, Ultravox, Clash, Pink Floyd, Animals, Them, Who...

You may NOT BORROW Neil young, Robbie Robertson, Leonard Cohen, The Violent Femmes ...... "Oh, Canada, our home and native land ,... True , patriot love, in all our sons command......." :: :: :beady:

Ok , FOR YOU, they're yours... do as you will, but be gentle .... , but we're giving up a lot !

You may NOT BORROW Neil young, Robbie Robertson, Leonard Cohen, The Violent Femmes ...... "Oh, Canada, our home and native land ,... True , patriot love, in all our sons command......." :: :: :beady:

Ok , FOR YOU, they're yours... do as you will, but be gentle .... , but we're giving up a lot !

Oh, thanks, Kevin... I didn´t know the VF were from Canada... I´ll be nice with everybody, never mind... :bow: :bow:

The VF were very nice with me... ::

Fleetwood Mac
US?....I think not, however I will acknowledge some help from across the pond...Brits all the way for the first part of their career. Buckingham Nicks were a tidy outfit before F Mac...but basically a folk duo.

Wasn't (isn't) Joni Mitchell Canadian? When you add it all up, apart from Zappa and Hendrix, the US look a bit lacklustre in these comparisons....even a quarter of the Monkees were British. :: ::

I think it's a tie. Yeah the Uk has the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Kinks, on and on but... besides most of the early stuff being US there are entire genres that don't fall into the UK. Like the entire Southern/Country rock thing, Country in general, Dylan. Joplin, Morrison and all the blues/rock stuff. Who cares where it comes from if it's good? ;)

. Wasn't (isn't) Joni Mitchell Canadian? When you add it all up, apart from Zappa and Hendrix, the US look a bit lacklustre in these comparisons....even a quarter of the Monkees were British. :: ::

CSN&Y are only half American but I would consider them as an American band.

I wonder if I listed them or not... :stars:

For quality, I narrowly give the edge to British bands. For quantity, however, it's no contest. The U.S. wins hands down.

America, John Mellencamp, The Eagles, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Buffalo Springfield (even though, arguably, the band's most talented member hailed from Canada), Bob Seger, C.C.R., ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Chicago, Styx, Journey, The Beach Boys, Elvis Presley, Blue Oyster Cult, The Stray Cats, The Monkees (c'mon, Davey Jones banged a tambourine, was not the group's best singer and did precious little songwriting), The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, The Allman Brothers, Grand Funk(Railroad), Jefferson Airplane, Three Dog Night, Little Feat, The Steve Miller Band, Tommy James & The Shondells, The Atlanta Rhythm Section etc. etc. And this isn't counting other popular music genres like Folk Rock (dominated by American artists) R & B, Motown etc. Rock music originated in the U.S., was refined by the British and has subsequently spread around the world. We are all the beneficiaries.

Rock On!! :headphones:

The Monkees (c'mon, Davey Jones banged a tambourine, was not the group's best singer and did precious little songwriting),
No, Neil Diamond and Carole King wrote their best stuff....I'll give you that, but Davey Jones did bash a cute tambourine :: As for volume over quality, well the US does have five times the population so it makes sense that they'd have five times as many sad imitations of the real thing. Rush were Canadian too weren't they? The more I think about it the harder it is to think of REALLY good US bands....I mean Styx, Journey, Metallica...give it a rest ::

:googly:

Rush!!! Puhlease!!! I'm embarassed to admit they are Canadian. You can't think of any good American bands? You don't get out much, do you? Tom Petty, C.C.R., Bob Seger and The Eagles are as good as or better than most British bands. And Britain has produced its share of clunkers.

:happybanana:

I voted for the UK too...it was a tough choice but most of the pioneers emanated from the UK...Queen, Beatles, Stones, The Who etc...

Quick question.....what pioneers? Besides being the pioneers of the British invasion they were not the pioneers of rock! My vote goes to the colonies! When you read interviews from the Stones, Beatles, Elton John and so on they all talk of first loving rock and roll when they heard the American rock pioneers including Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, the Beachboys and even the Everly Brothers. Let's give credit where credit is due.