Prog Rock

Batman

What's your opinion on prog rock? Some people think it's too grandiose, and some use the word "masturbatory" to describe it. I personally like it. Well, I like the good ones anyway. Such as Yes. Some bands make long songs just for the purpose of being long songs. But Yes doesn't seem like they force the longness into their songs, they just have a lot to say, musically. I usually prefer their long songs, though, because by the end it feels as if you've gone on some sort of magical journey.

Bands as Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Focus and even Pink Floyd, as the best knowns (half of the bands were into that music by the mid 70´s or were influenced by it) were a result of simplicity in pop and rock music. Some musicians wanted to go further on and some of them did great things. But I believe the use of drugs was also important, just as well for musicans as for those who listened to it... like, "take an acid and listen to the last ELP album". It soon became tedious for some people, others (jazzy or fusion lovers) still love it... and the result this time was punk explosion by the late 70´s.

Well, that´s to make a long story short... :P

There's an Al Dimeola song that he plays with Steve Vai, but I don't know what it's called, and in the beginning there's a radio switching around and it lands on some action sequence with an orchestra, and I just heard that part of the song in a commercial.

Actually, progressive rock was called so to make a difference with "commercial rock"... at least in the late 60s. Bubblegum, standard pop, even Beatles or Rolling Stones were considered "non prog rock".

Honestly, it could be quite boring too... I´ve had my share of Mahavishnu... :P

Alot of Prog rock is egotistical, self serving bullshit. Dragging the same idea out over 12 minutes with minor changes. Though there is some truly inspired stuff out there. Stuff like Steve Vai, Satriani and Liquid Tension Experiment serve to showcase the technical prowess of the players. Not much more then 74 minutes of personal advertising space. But bands like King Crimson, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta and Yes have sprawling epics with complete feels and concepts. Sometimes an epic is just what you need.

That sig is from a steely dan song..

And honestly, isn't all music self-serving egotistical bullshit, when you boil it down? Besides, who are -you- to say someone else's music is self-serving or bullshit? I mean, you might think it's a bit much or something, but that's someone's work and art, and you're just dismissing it like it's not worth the tape it was recorded on.. That's pretty self-serving and egotistical, don't you think?

Hahaha, I suppose in a way music is pretty self serving. But I just think certain albums are the artists just saying "Look how f'ing good I am at this!" Could just be me. I meant no offense by it. I still love Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. But not Buckethead. haha