Anti-Rap?

I have noticed a lot of anti-rap sentiments on this board, and I am wondering why. Being a woman, I understand the whole misogyny aspect of rap, but I try to consider where it comes from. Most of the rappers I see are not that attractive, and they go from being undesirable when they are struggling to hot sh*t when they have money and fame. Who wouldn?t have a bad opinion of certain types of women if that is all you ever saw? I feel the same about the violence in rap. You write about what you know. If that?s how you grew up, you wouldn?t write about living in the suburbs and joining the Boy Scouts. Rappers are modern day poets reporting on what they see around them.

And it isn?t all like that crap in the clubs??Aww, skeet, skeet, skeet?? (YEAH! Chapelle's Show!) There are some great acts out there with socially aware views, such as Outkast, the Roots, the Blackeyed Peas and Mos Def. I just don?t think someone should give the blanket statement ?I don?t like rap? without giving any of it a chance. Thoughts?

:afro:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a little rap. Tupac being my favorite. But I always ask myself, "are rappers really musicians?" Seeing how most of them dont play any instruments. Plus most talk in their songs, not sing. I tend to think they are not musicans, rather "lyricists."

I haven't seen a lot of Anti-Rap in the posts.

I beleive it's just a music preference.

It doesn't mean we do not like rap - it just means we would rather fill our ears with other types of music.

I listen to a little bit of everything - I like

Eminem, Dj Quik, Fabolous - I also like Keith Sweat, Sade, and Christina Aguilara -

I just prefer Maroon 5, Depeche Mode, Our Lady Peace, Juliana Theory, Stone Temple Pilots, and Live.

I say to each their own..... :blah:

I have to agree with you guys, im not a rap lover, i admit to show off your new subs, the beat is good. And there are songs that are catchy like Snoop Dogs Gin and Juice. And Tupac will always be respected by me cause his songs had meaning, they werent all about sex and drugs, yes some were, but others werent. And you have to respect Eminem for what he did, making it as a white rapper, raising a kid and keeping a wife. Rap is poetry as all music is, we just sometimes take it for granted.

I don't appreciate misogyny or violence in music and I have a terminal hatred of drum machines and synthesisers in certain contexts (i.e. most dance and rap music). As Dr Teeth once said on The Muppet Show "It ain't got no swing, when it's played by a thing".

Having said that, I do listen to Pubilc Enemy and Run D-M-C because they actually rap/say stuff that has some substance, or at least it isn't sexist and violent.

Here's an opinion on the extreme side. I got it off of some website. This is NOT my opinion.

Rap is that distinct horrible music that you constantly hear at your highschool, or on the street if you live in a city, or on the radio, or on TV. It can be identifyed by the "drum" beat that continually loops over and over. Often, listeners of rap identify the quality of a rap "song" by how "phat" its beat is, or something like that.

Another major characteristic of rap, is the stupid a** f***ing sh***y lyrics that a bunch of "bad a** muthas" try to sing over the equally stupid a** f***ing sh***y drum machine and synthesizers. These lyrics are basically always about how they just busted a phat cap in their homeez azzes. Or about how "life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody f***ing gives a s*** how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the f*** up.

There will always be people who can't stand rap in any phylum or phlow, the Hip or the Hop will drop pounds from their cerebellums wasting The Time like Prince's backup band at the car wash.

Sorry, every now and then I have to bust a flow.

At its best, rap is innovative, thought-provoking and set to a killer beat. My problem with rap is that it's gotten lazy. Great rappers like Jay-Z have this incredible talent, but use it in song after song to talk about the same tired cliches (We get it, you drink Cristal and wear Burberry). There has got to be more you can write about. It's also a little disturbing how obscene the lyrics have gotten. Again, it's lazy - using a naughty word instead of something clever. Unfortunately, there's an audience for this stuff, and as long as it sells, there's no need to tweak the lyrics.

You know what the problem is with rap? It is akin to a modern day artist that takes a dump on a Canvas and tells

us that that is art!!

In otherwords, they are doing things that take no Talent in the least..........and that is why Rap is so appalling and deserves to join disco in the dustbin of history...

A 5 year old can create a rap hit......it is simply brutal idiocy that demeans true talent........Ironic isn't it....Black Americans have given us some of the most wonderful music from Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Rock ,R and B, Soul but they then give us Rap......ugh.....

Of course, we Whites cannot talk......we gave the world heavy metal.....bleech......

Being myself i hate rap! i think it is just people talking, rap is great fro some people but it just dosent work for me. i love only two rap songs i have ever hears. one being an old song redone from led-zeppland kasmire wich is now "come with me " by p.diddy back when he was puff daddy and two being by the transplants "dimands and guns" wich is classafied rock-rap :headphones:

There is one key ingredient that makes a song a great song. This ingredient is melody.

Where is melody in Rap?

To me, Rap is the realization that people are bound to accept anything as music.

Personally, I've never hummed a Rap song in my head. There's nothing to hum to or, IMO, look forward to when it comes to the angry, superficial, narrative testimonies that many consider music.

To me, rap isn't worth downloading illegally, and certainly not worth my $13.99. I'll Put my stance on rap this way. I don't care what cars you have, and what inch rims they have. I don't care how "gangsta" you think you are. I don't care how many "hoes" you have. You wouldn't have crap if it wasn't for your cash. I also don't care if you like women with big a$$es. I think thats nasty and I don't want to see them shaking in my face.

I'm kind of like those people who only like classic rock. Early rap was really cool. I was listening to Run DMC just yesterday. Earlier today I was listening to the Sugarhill Gang.

Check it out

I'm the C - A - S - A, the N - O - V - A

and the rest is F - L - Y

You see I go by the code of the doctor of the mix

And these reasons I'll tell you why

You see I'm six foot one and I'm tons of fun

and I dress to a T

You see, I got more clothes than Mohammad Ali

and I dress so viciously

I got bodyguards,

I got two big cars

that definitely ain't the wack

I got a Lincoln Continental and a sunrooffed Cadilac

So after school I take a dip in the pool

which really is on the wall

I got a color TV so I can see

the Knicks play basketball

Totally cool song. Now I'll compare it to a rap song I was forced to listen to in a friends car the other day

Yous a pimp

go on brush your sholders off

ladies is pimps too

go on brush your sholders off

Rappers delight definitely has a melody even though the guys still talk. The other song, or whatever it is, made me "want to hurl". At first I thought it was a Head and Sholders commercial. It wasn't until I could make out the word 'pimp' in the lyrics that I realized it wasn't a song about problem dandruff.

My favorite rap group is Third Bass. It's white people like the Beasty Boys but Eminem is white as well. Everlast is also made up of white people and Cypruss Hill is a latino group. I liked some of Tupac's songs. It's too bad he had to get in that fight with Biggy Smalls and get himself killed. Some other rap / hip-hop groups that I like are Tribe Called Quest and the Jungle Brothers, both from the eighties.

Most of todays rap has no melody and the lyrics are just horrible, they "make me want to hurl." My thanks to Garth (Wayne's friend, not Brooks) for the regurgitation metaphor. It saddens me a little that rap has turned into what it now is, when it can be done so well. But I probably sound just like those people who say there is no good rock music anymore. Of course Vanilla Ice was old rap also so what do I know.

Here's another sample of some lyrics from the Golden Age of Rap . I'm sure the space these lyrics occupy in my head could be used for other things. But since they are there it is a great song about family values, self confidence, and problems getting dates.

Your best friend Harry

Has a brother Larry

Who in five days from now

Is going to marry

Hes hoping you can make it there

If you can cause

In the ceremony you?ll

Be the best man

You say neeto

Check your libido

And go to the church

In your new tuxedo

Bride walks down

Just to start the wedding

And that?s one more girl

You won?t be getting

So you start thinking

Then you start blinking

Bridesmaid looks and thinks

That your winking

She thinks you?re really cool so

She winks back and

You?re feeling really fine cause

The girl is stacked

Reception?s jumpin

Faces pumpin

Look at the girl and your

Heart starts thumpin

Says she wants to dance

To a different groove

Now you know what to do

Just bust a move

If I wrote any of the lyrics wrong, then apologies to Young MC. Rappers used to at least give some thought to their lyrics, and I don't think a single swear word was used in the entire song.

Disclaimer:

No women were injured, killed, or even just slapped around a bit during the making of this song. :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't go for modern rap, but good classic hip-hop like Run-DMC :coolio: and The Beastie Boys(they're more rap-rockers though I suppose)Rage Against the Machine was cool, once again rock-rap though, although my favorite rapper is.........Anthony Keidis :headphones: (classic chili peppers he did it a lot (he always called it "white boy rappin'")and still does it every now and then (like with "Can't Stop")

You know what the problem is with rap? It is akin to a modern day artist that takes a dump on a Canvas and tells

us that that is art!!

In otherwords, they are doing things that take no Talent in the least..........and that is why Rap is so appalling and deserves to join disco in the dustbin of history...

A 5 year old can create a rap hit......it is simply brutal idiocy that demeans true talent........Ironic isn't it....Black Americans have given us some of the most wonderful music from Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Rock ,R and B, Soul but they then give us Rap......ugh.....

Of course, we Whites cannot talk......we gave the world heavy metal.....bleech......

You really should listen to "the seed" by the Roots, it implies that Hiphop is the bastard child of rock and roll -

it's intense - also listen to "All good" by dela soul and chaka kahn and then tell me you don't like any rap. :rockon:

If you don't like any metal I just don't know what to say- it's just the blues on meth...