Anti-Rap?

I dont listen to rap, but I do not want to keep anyone from expressing their bad selves. The thing I object to is having it forced into my ear at a stop light. I would be a hypocrite, though, if I complained because I used to want to share (inflict) my "musical taste" on others 20 years ago. I guess rap is the latest incarnation of how some teens drive those older than them batty. I guess I'm getting old... :puppyeyes:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You raise a very interesting theory. The theory that each generation of mankind actually becomes worse than the one before it.

Rap proves it. Mankind has also, since it's beginning, probably making it the fastest species to extinction of all time.

What's after Rap for the next generation?

Hope I'm not around and die before I get old as the Who once said but inevitably not living up to it. ::

But even an infant is old if it dies.

• 6 months later...

You write about what you know. If that?s how you grew up, you wouldn?t write about living in the suburbs and joining the Boy Scouts. Rappers are modern day poets reporting on what they see around them.

I could not disagree with you more, peaches, girl. Now I'm a 25-year-old black man and I grew up in Gary, Indiana, an if you don't know a thing about the city, well lemme tell you, a lot of it is pretty depressed, what with the steel industry dying an things in general not holding out a lotta hope for too many people. So I guess Gary might be representitive of the 'reality' you spoke of that rappers write about.

Well, I was lucky and blessed enough to grow up in a family that refused to accept the 'reality' of the situation and instilled values of hard work and honesty and respect for women and for people in general into all of us, and i for one think that the people writing this woman-hating, glorification of violence an drugs B-S are NOT describin what they see as much as are being exploited by people who want to make money offa them. And I know you are a very thoughtful woman an I love to read yr posts here, but please do not glorify these fools as poets as it sullies and dishonors the true poets who have fought for rights and justice and refused to be used by the purveyors of greed.

Yes, there are rap artists i respect--an somebody mentioned Tupac--definitely he coulda been a poet, he had a great gift for words, but he could never rise above the slime of the violence an drugs an dirty money an he paid for it with his precious life and he is a prime example of an artist being exploited to death. And as far as music goes, I believe that rap has barely evolved as a form beyond the Sugar Hill Gang where it first started and will NEVER be in league with blues and jazz, but instead if it continue on the same course--an where else can it go?? will continue to be about producin mutant toxic novelty trash such as 50 cent and eminem, and will never be about anything positive an constructive. That's just my opinion tho.

I also think some people look at rap and attack it unnecesarily. I like some kinds of rap 2 and some rap artists r very express and r good lyricists. I agree with wat jayson said earlier, they aren't really musicians exactly. For the most part i dont like how rap sounds but i respect it as a genre of music.

I could not disagree with you more, peaches, girl. Well, I was lucky and blessed enough to grow up in a family that refused to accept the 'reality' of the situation and instilled values of hard work and honesty and respect for women and for people in general into all of us, and i for one think that the people writing this woman-hating, glorification of violence an drugs B-S are NOT describin what they see as much as are being exploited by people who want to make money offa them. And I know you are a very thoughtful woman an I love to read yr posts here, but please do not glorify these fools as poets as it sullies and dishonors the true poets who have fought for rights and justice and refused to be used by the purveyors of greed.

That's just my opinion tho.

Mr. Evil, thank you for such a thoughtful post. I almost forgot about this...I think I was responding to a bunch of silly "rap is crap" threads. I have a problem with people saying that they hate something without giving it any sort of thought whatsoever. Jumping on the bandwagon, you know? But I totally respect where you are coming from. I'm not saying I want everyone to like rap, but if you don't, at least have some sort of legitimate reason not to like it.

I adore you, sweet Mr. Evil. I'm glad to see you outside of the "Guess the Song" threads. My brain bleeds everytime I try to figure out those convoluted clues. ::

You raise a very interesting theory. The theory that each generation of mankind actually becomes worse than the one before it.

Rap proves it. Mankind has also, since it's beginning, probably making it the fastest species to extinction of all time.

What's after Rap for the next generation?

Muzik, we DID recover from Punk. I think Bob Dylan might have nailed it when he said in the 60s that if we never wrote another song, we still had enough music to last forever. That was probably said tongue in cheek, but I do believe that pop/ rock music has "marked time" since then, with the only real innovations being Punk, Disco and I suppose Rap. The thing I dislike most about rap (besides the bad language - although I've never learnt any new swear words from it) is that, though the lyrics may be creative, it "steals" from real music for the backing, although the term used is sampling. A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !

There is a lot of garbage in the rap and hip-hop genre - but there is some good tuneage too - try Black Eyed Peas (pretty good current stuff), A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and The Roots for starters - they are all a little more intelligent than the thugs that are popular with the masses of suburban white kids (go figure). :afro:

That being said we must recognize that jazz, big band, swing, pop, rock, punk, grunge and rap have all evolved from classical music.

Ahh, evolution. Not always good, is it?

But, revolution , that we can sink our teeth into.

So, where is your turntable?

Quite rightly -

As was the habit of Roman society, the Romans did not invent their music. The music of Rome has its origins in Greek traditions. Our term for music itself is derived from the Greek term Mousike, which means "the art of the muses."

Early Greek music was purely melodic, or homophonic,utilizing only one melody without chordal accompaniment. The Greek musical system used Pythagorean mathematics to organize the chief concodant intervals according to simple numerical ratios.

2:1 = octave

3:2 = Fifth

4:3 = Fourth

Somewhere around the fifth century B.C. evidence shows up that melodic lines were now being accompanied at the fourth of fifth interval. Also about this time, specific melodies were being used only for certain occasions. The new applications of these melodies were called "nomoi", or laws. The nomoi are what translate into our current concept of modes.

Greek philosophy held that there was a relationship between the laws of sound and the laws of human behavior. These modes correspond to different human moods, and, because of this relationship, Plato advocated banning the lydian and ionian modes frm education. Aristotle, as well, believed that music imitates the states of the soul and has the ability to produce said passion.

This philosophy carryover into Latin philosophy made music a very powerful element. Musical performances were limited to the higher-classes, as they were educated enough to handle the power. Music also became the servant of religion, and was used to exemplify the principles of order and harmony in the universe.

Notation -

Musical notation didn't appear in Roman music until the ninth century. It was used mainly by the clergy to standardize chants.

Can anybody explain the meaning behind the outstretched back of hand and the crotch-grab? What about the rap walk, loping from side to side like.....well,....something that lopes too much. Who is the hardest rapper? Who actually does control the biggest prostitution racket?

If we knew the answer to these questions then the gendre could get over itself and move on.

Can anybody explain the meaning behind the outstretched back of hand and the crotch-grab? What about the rap walk, loping from side to side like.....well,....something that lopes too much. Who is the hardest rapper? Who actually does control the biggest prostitution racket?

If we knew the answer to these questions then the gendre could get over itself and move on.

Please....allow me to field these questions, thank you.

1. The side-to-side loping is caused by an excessive amount of excrement permanently encrusted in the rapper's underwear. If you notice, most rappers eyes are a medium to dark shade of brown. Why? Because they're so full of sh*t. One should be extremely cautious of those rappers with green or peanut-shaped eyes.

2. The crotch-grabbing "ritual" is a need to regularly adjust the Beef Stick Summer Sausage that most of them keep in their pants for "artistic license". 75% of rappers frequent the Hickory Farms website and kiosks at the malls, and the most frequent items purchased are, of course, Beef Sticks. This statistical information comes directly from the Hickory Farms website.

3. The above would also answer the question about who is "the hardest rapper". Obviously, it's the one with the oldest Beef Stick.

4. Those rappers who have "no need to visit Hickory Farms, yo" grab their crotches just to make sure that their "talent" is still where it belongs. Why? Because they're afraid that other rappers might rip it off and use it for their own self-promotion. The gangsta lifestyle is indeed a nasty one.

5. The biggest prostitution racket is controlled by the record companies themselves. The wh*res are the rappers soliciting this filth to an unsuspecting public. The johns are the public who purchase what the wh*res are offering.

6. I'm not sure what you mean by "outstretched back of the hand", but I'm sure it's some kind of reflex action that has developed from years of being fitted with handcuffs, either by the police or by their many beeyatches.

I hope this answers all of your questions. Thank you.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Good questions, what about the alternating pointing with the index finger and pink from the sides inward...

"you rappin' to me, huh, is ya?"

Sammy, you've just been commissioned to write "Rap For Dummies". Your items 1 thru 6 will be the first chapter. Can you produce a finished manuscript by March 1st? Please remember the illustrations.

PS: I'll never be able to pass by a Hickory Farms at the mall now without picturing your rapper grabbin' hisself. Forget about eating beefstick. Uh, none for me, thanks!