This ain't no party, ain't no disco, save CBGB's

RonJonSurfer

CBGB Owner Launches Festival Idea to Save Club

The longtime owner of New York's historic CBGB nightclub is launching a last-ditch effort to save the punk mecca - and he's asking the acts who got their big breaks there to help him.

Hilly Kristal is set to launch a month-long festival of punk icons in a bid to raise the funds he needs to save his club.

The CBGB founder and owner is hoping to host a 30-date festival of big-name acts this summer and has invited Patti Smith and former Talking Heads star David Byrne among others to help him.

He says, "If the Beastie Boys are around, I think they'd play. Green Day came in one night and just played. Maybe they'd come back."

Kristal has been fighting to keep the club open for months after his landlord, the non-profit Bowery Resident's Committee, announced plans to double the rent for the space.

He adds, "They want me out."

CBGB became a punk mecca in the late 1970s and early 1980s when acts like the Ramones, Talking Heads and Blondie made the venue their New York home.

that's so funny, jeff refers to the cbgb in one of his live recordings and i never knew what he meant. i was just thinking yesterday i should post a thread asking, but now i know!

on a much smaller scale, the lobby, cork's most famous music venue, is closing down :( there were fire safety issues and the owners couldn't afford to comply so it's been sold and will be made into offices - damn the man!!! i've been to many of my favourite gigs there and have been lucky enough to play there several times myself. there is no replacement for this venue in cork. it will be a sad loss. the last gig ever is on 31st july so i think i'm gonna move home that day so i can be there.