Favorite solos not on a standard rock instrument

Aunt_Acid

You know, this has probably been covered, but everyone else reposts and reposts heavily covered topics and gets away with it. This topic is about solos on anything like Sax, Violin, Flute, Trombone, Trumpet, Cello, Jew's Harp, or other things that aren't a staple of rock bands. The reason I thought of this is because I just bought Relics by Pink Floyd, and really liked the Trombone solo on Biding My Time. It's grand. A great flute solo is in Anonymous by Focus. And my favorite violin solo is probably the one in that off-the-wall version of I'm A Believer. I'm not sure who did it, but that violin solo in the middle of it is just so cool.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The synth/moog type solo on Virginia Plain (Roxy Music) always gets me playing air keyboards ...nnnnnyaaa eee aaaay......neeeeye ooooh. :o

By the way, trivia buffs. The violin solo on Baba O'Reilly was played by a guy called Dave Arbus. Apparently it was a last minute studio decision to try a violin outro and one of the Who's roadies (one Chalky Chalkley) had just come off a tour with a band called East of Eden who had a violinist and who he knew lived just around the corner...he nipped round in Moonies Roller and got him out of bed...he did it in one take....well, that's the story Chalky told me and, on researching it a bit, the story stacks up....how sad am I :o

Curved Air have some great violin intro in their album "Air Cut". Jefferson Starship also had good violin solos with Papa John Creach. I can´t remember the songs but I know they are in the "Dragonfly" album and probably also on "Baron VonToolsomething..."

I don´t think piano counts as it´s the base for rockabilly, see Jerry Lee Lewis... or Elton John, Billy Joel, etc.