STAR WARS: episode III

lucylooloo

i cannot wait till this movie comes out!! my best friend and i had a Star Wars movie marathon in celebration of seeing the trailer on Fever Pitch. lol. I even got myself a Anakin shirt (in the way he looks in the third episode) so when we go watch it on the 19th.

yay! Force be with you. 420059yoda.gif

I have mixed feelings about Episode III....

Yes it's awesome that we see darth vader again....and we see his birth

Yes It's awesomethat we see the birth of luke

Yes it's awesome that we see tons of wookies

No it sucks that the last two star wars movies have lacked in story and this one probably will too

No it sucks that the special effects will be TOO good.

Dorks. :jester:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Jr is camping out too, ADMIT IT !!!!! In fact, he PMed me and said he's been wearing his Chewbacca suit for a week or so now and the wife is starting complain because he's shedding..... "...not tonight, honey, I just can't get into Wookies ...." :: :laughing: :laughing: :doh: :rockon:

"Watch your mouth ,kid, or we'll all be floating home !!! "

I understand that money is what makes the world go 'round, but it makes me sick to see all of the unnecessary merchandising surrounding this movie. Sure, sell some stuff to make a few bucks, but you should draw the line somewhere. I saw a commercial that had Darth and the incredibly disturbing 7 foot Burger King staring at each other. It just turned my stomach to see them pimp out the dark lord like that.

I saw it on friday, after school. It was at a 3:00 showing, so I just went over there with 6 other friends after school. I was shocked that I did not have to wait in line. There was no line, and all 7 of us were able to get tickets. We bought them right at 3.

Anyways, I have mixed feelings about this movie. It was not as good as the originals, but definitely better than the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. On one hand, I was mezmerized by the special effects the whole time. The battle scenes were amazing. Also, this movie reminded me of the old star wars much more than the other two did. But on the other hand...

• The acting was terrible. Anakin and Obi Wan had the same voice tone whether Padme was pregnant, they were about to die, or they were happy.
  • the conversation with Padme and Anakin "do you love me because I'm beatiful? Maybe I'm beatiful because you love me" made no sense and was stupid
  • I like the puppet yoda better than the CGI effects yoda
  • Darth Vader saying "nooooo" at the end (if you saw the movie, you know what I'm talking about)
  • they relied on special effects too much.

But on the other hand, I wasn't thinking about any of this while the movie was playing. The only thing that I noticed before the movie ended was Vader's "nooooo." That was about it. So I liked it while I watched it, but not so much afterwords. Oh George Lucas! Why must you toy with my emotions?

This movie is great. I loved the effects and the story came together very well. It dropped us off where the first one started. Here's me nitpicking:

Natalie Portman is a great actress, but she is horrible in this. She's way to girl-next-door (Garden State) to play a princess with cheesy dialogue. The casting people probably didn't know she would turn out like this, so you can't blame them.

The lava scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin fight looked cheesy. When they were floating around, it looked like they were doing it in front of a blue screen.

Did anyone else love it when Yoda waved his paw and wiped out the 2 dudes guarding the emporor?

yes carl i totally agree with you about natalie portman - she's far better at roles like the one in garden state than this one. the acting overall in star wars episodes I through III was disappointing and the dialogue was cheesy but that's only to be expected! i guess i wasn't too disappointed when i saw episode III yesterday though because i was expecting the acting to be bad! the 'nooooooo' was pretty awful though, i must admit. i loved the movie though!

i think one problem is that we judge these movies by modern standards even though by necessity they have to made in keeping with the original three. so as a result, the one-liners which in the first ones were fresh and funny are by now tired and cliched. also over the years we have become accustomed to a much higher standard of writing in widely accessible movies.

i agree with batman, it was much closer to the original three, though nowhere near as good, and streets ahead of episodes I and II, which i didn't really enjoy. the main problem with episodes I through III in my opinion is that no one charcter has the personality of either han solo or princess leia in the original ones, although they try really hard to cringical effect. many of ewan mcgregor's one-liners were an obvious attempt to capture some of han solo's charm and wit but it just did not work.

that said, i thoroughly enjoyed the movie, as no-brainers go, and loved the way everything slotted into place at the end. for example, it was so cool seeing the way darth sidious becomes deformed to look like the emperor in the later movies. the effects were amazing and the battle scenes were very impressive. they did well too to keep the light sabre fights interesting which is difficult when you're limited to one weapon.

and carl you are so right, the bit where yoda walks in the the door and brings the two huge guards to his feet was cool - in fact yoda's fighting in general was pretty cool - i loved the but where he threw his light sabre into a clone's chest then jumped up to pull it out - kickash!!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm a little late on this whole thing, but I had to register my opinion about the film. I attended the opening night show. 12:00 midnight, the first showing in the city, I had my tickets purchased for me by an enthusiastic friend who insisted I come in full costume, 6 hours early to wait for a good spot.

Let me start by saying, I'm not a fan of the star wars films. I've seen them all, many times. Watched for the bloopers and all that when I was a kid. But as I grew older I realized that the dialougue was for [bleep], the acting piss poor and the entire mythos of the series was built by over zealous nerds in the 80s. It was not intened to be as grand as it turned out to be.

So I call with car trouble, saying I won't be able to come wait in line because of it. I show up around thirty minutes to show time and take advantage of my friends zest for the series and join him in line. Many a scathing wookie sounds and angry lightsabre noises were tossed my way for this manouver. I was mainly there to witness the cultural event of the year. There were thousands of people, all clad in robes, storm-trooper gear and insanely detailed alien make-up, exchanging stories about how Star Wars affected them and correcting one another on missed sylables in quotes.

Attack of the clones was a boring, horribly written love story, bumbled by wooden dialouge and terrible pacing. "The Phantom Menace" was a glorified Disney movie, too juvenile to be taken seriously. It made the muppet filled "Return of the Jedi" look like "Rambo". So I wasn't exactly expecting a miracle.

"Revenge of the Sith" is not without its good points. There are some terrific action sequences and it is no doubt darker then the last 2 movies, but the same problems still plague it:

Acting

Writing

F...ok so I just want to use the AWFUL acronym!

Unbelievable character development

Lack of real human element

I don't want to give anything away because this thing is gigantic for alot of people, like my friend who cried the whole way home "It's over!!!". Its gonna be terrible when this guy loses a parent. evenge of the Sith is a mediocre movie with great special effects. If you aren't too invested in the series, you can pass it up. But we all know you're gonna see it. This thing is going to make more money then we could ever possibly hope to see. So as I sit here at my computer sipping my Darth vader slurpee in my Wookie underoos (itchy) and Yoda-head slippers...I lost my point. I'm going to bed, those Ewok bedsheets are calling my name.

-The Coz