60's POP CLASSICS!

Mike

I can still remember, 1968, downstairs in our house near Richmond Beach in Seattle.

The sounds coming from my mothers kitchen as she baked, songs like To Sir With Love by Lulu, Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond, Downtown by Petula Clark, and of course a the next year such famous songs as the one I recently submitted songfacts for - Raindrops keep falling on my head - by B.J. Thomas, others I remember like Frankie Vali and the Four Seasons - Can't take my eyes off of you.

Yep, not just great rock and roll came out of the 60's, plenty of great pop songs did too. I know I'm forgetting a bunch ... help me out here... Please!!

-Mike

I love those 60's compilation cds that you can buy. Or those box sets of cds containing just 60's music. Those things are a virtual goldmine of great forgotten pop songs.

I've got one called 'Simply The Best 60's' and it has some great songs on it, like 'Let's Dance' by Chris Montez, 'Rhythm Of The Rain' by The Cascades, 'Venus' by Shocking Blue, 'The Wanderer' by Dion, 'No Milk Today' by Herman's Hermits, 'Bus Stop' by The Hollies, 'When You Walk In The Room' by The Searchers, 'My Girl' by The Temptations, 'I Can't Help Myself' by The Four Tops, 'Daydream Believer' by The Monkees, 'Big Girls Don't Cry' by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons and lots of other good stuff!!!!

Bad thing about these compilations is you have some original songs but you also have remastered or re-recorded hits... you don´t find the original arrangements or the new version is bad, bad, bad... :doh: just like Freda Payne´s "Band of Gold" on one of my tons of compilation CDs... she sung it all over like if she was doing calypso or Julio Iglesias style... :stars: :stars:

There were so many great pop songs recorded in the 60's. Some of my favourites are:

Do You Believe In Magic - The Lovin' Spoonful

Get Together - The Youngbloods

Downtown - Petula Clark

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas

Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

Help Yourself - Tom Jones

I'm also firmly in the "I like the Monkees " camp.

:thumbsup:

The 60's pop hits were great. You were able to sing to them whether they were just fun songs or songs of social meaning.

A quick note about Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees.....if any of you don't know this, Mickey is now a morning DJ (has his own show) on WCBS-FM in New York City. I listen to him every morning. He is very witty. I believe you can listen to his show every morning if you have AOL. There is some application on AOL which streams CBS-FM every day. BTW, WCBS-FM is one of the oldest oldies stations in the U.S. (they may have been the first) and you can listen to 60's hits among others all day!

I was a founder member of the Monkees Fan Club (UK) and thought everything they did was fab....around the same time I got 'Wild Thing' by the Troggs (who were also fab)...yup, a great era...they were my first singles...saving up my pocket money and blowing it all on music....wonderful.

:D :D

Two shows from the 60's that meant everything in the world to me were 1) The Monkees 2)The Soupy Sales Show (Soupy's boys played with Bowie in the late 80's or 90's).

I watched every second of The Monkees and was crushed that I had to wait another week to see the next episode.

There were a couple great pop shows that came on weekdays right after school. My sister was older than me and she watched these shows religiously...I soaked it all up too.

One was called ACTION. I remember the theme song, "Oh baby come on, let me take you where the action is" Paul Revere and The Raiders was essentially the house band as far as I can remember.

The other show might have been called Hullabaloo....

I also read her Tiger Beat and 16 magazines for my rock and roll info...amazing I got beyond Bobby Sherman.

Monkees question (since so many fans popped up on this thread)

I remember two bands "goofing-off" in the mid sixties, The Monkees and The Beatles The Monkees TV show (obviously even from the show's opening) the other was in the movie Help! The Beatles.

Did one lead to the other do you think? Silliness competition? You wouldn't catch other acts doin' this stuff.

There were so many great pop songs recorded in the 60's. Some of my favourites are:

Do You Believe In Magic - The Lovin' Spoonful

Get Together - The Youngbloods

Downtown - Petula Clark

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas

Solitary Man - Neil Diamond

Help Yourself - Tom Jones

Dandy -Herman's Hermits

Cherish -The Association

Let's Hang On -Four Seasons

Sloop John B -Beach Boys

Bend Me Shape Me -American Breed

Piggies -Beatles

Sugar Sugar -Archies

I remember two bands "goofing-off" in the mid sixties, The Monkees and The Beatles The Monkees TV show (obviously even from the show's opening) the other was in the movie Help! The Beatles.

I have always wondered the same thing. There is a quick scene in the opening of the Monkees show where the four of them are walking close together somewhat in unison with eachother's footsteps (sort of like there legs were tied together). I am having a hard time recalling if there was a similiar scene in Help but my old brain is saying there was. The Monkees producers obviously ripped that scene off. Outside of that, I have to agree that both the Beatles and Monkees antics were very quite similiar on the big screen and television.

The Monkees was of course America's answer to the Beatles so why not copy them? Imitation is a form of flattery!