Vacation plans this year?

Mike

Hey, anyone planning a fun filled family vacation this year?

Let's hear it! You know what else would be fun to hear about? -Your most "interesting" vacation, could be good or bad. I'll bet there are some good stories out there! Maybe even some that would make a trip to Wally World with the Grizwolds seem mild by comparison.

We are planning a few outings to our favorite getaway spots in Eastern Washington, Lake Chelan, Leavenworth. Then we also make a few trips up to a lake just north of us about 50 miles; in August. My son is determined to catch some fish this summer, my job is to see to it this happens!!

The best vacation story I can think of back several years ago we were headed to Wenatchee, we hadn't been on vacation in a few years, we packed everything up and hopped in the family car and headed out! Half way there the car started making a knocking sound, louder, and louder it became, soon the oil light came on and over to the shoulder I retired.

After letting it cool down a bit, I decided to drive the car

to get to the next rest stop, and from there we waited until someone else stopped, they had a cell phone, but it did not work out there in the boondocks, so the nice elderly lady said she'd call a service garage when service to her phone became available.

We rode in a tow truck back home and spent our vacation purchasing a new car, we did find some things to do around town, but still, it was quite a disappointment.

The next year however, was awesome, we stayed at a nice hotel with a pool, and enjoyed ourselves very much.

-Mike

i went to japan with my boyfriend in october last year. let's just say nature was against the trip. two days in, the worst typhoon of the past 16 years happened! at first we thought it was just rain, but the wind was getting ridiculously strong! my mom thought i was dead because she couldn;t reach me, and i forgot to call my dad!

the second week we went to tokyo and some of the worst earthquakes they've had in years took place! we had a great time anyway!

i'm hoping to take 3 weeks off and go home, don't know exactly what i would do, but it would involve going around greek islands, swimming, sunbathing and generally relaxing. my boyfriend will come for some of the time, and i'm hoping my friends will be there too.

This year it has been a long weekend at Center Parcs (a group of wooden lodges in a wood, with a large covered swimming pool, bikes for hire etc), and will be 10 days in Menorca in September. We also will go camping for a few weekends, probably to The Lake District and Northumberland. Our next trip though is a 'boys' only job -myself, my two lads, two friends and their lads for a weekend at a round of the British Touring Cars championship, probably Oulton Park. Tents, dads cooking food, fast cars, late nights and beer-prumps. Marvelous!

Regards

Depends what they are wanting to do Invisible. The Lakes are perfect for walking and late nights in isolated cosy pubs, but not for wenching (not that your boyfriend would be doing any of that of course!). Windemere is a good base.

Regards

Best described as hills, lakes and woods. If you like walking from pub to pub it is idylic - just remember to bring a waterproof coat as the weather is very changeable. I've known it go from sunshine to snow in minutes, and back again to sunshine just as fast again. You get a lot of caravans on a weekend, so if you plan to drive to see the area be prepared to do it slowly. Ironically you also get lots of speed-traps, as it is a favourite playground for motorbikes due to the twistyness of the roads and the undulations. The air-ambulance is kept busy picking up broken bikers during the summer. Lots of narrow roads with steep drop-offs, and sheep.

If I were going with couples and no kids, I would probably get a house in Windermere, take some pushbikes and be prepared to drink copious amounts of 'Old Gussett Scratcher' with hairy-arsed walkers, American tourists in shorts and big cameras (sorry folks), and the odd local sheep rustler in a Barbour and wellies.

Regards

resizeofresizeof10022191my.jpg

resizeof10022279aq.jpg I got my open water scuba certification just last weekend! I swam straight into an airplane.

I swam through a schoolbus!

bussilhouettelg1di.jpg

plane2lg3vi.jpg And for a vacation, I am going with my next-door-neighbor and some friends Here . Micronesia. If you check out the site I have included here, check out the slideshow that Judy Newton offers here. It will knock your eyes straight out of your head. Truk lagoon was where 'Operation Hailstorm' was played out on February 17th and 18th, 1944. It caught the Japanese totally unaware, and led to one of the most successful U.S. engagements of WWII.A US Task Force led by the giant battleship USS New Jersey (with nine carriers) launched air raids against Truk. During the battle, the Japanese lost 275 aircraft and 45 ships (over 220,000 tons) including 6 destroyers/cruisers, 5 sub-chasers, 5 tankers, and 26 merchantmen. In addition, 27 ships were damaged. In contrast, the US only lost 25 aircraft with 29 crew killed. A torpedo hit on the carrier USS Intrepid also killed 11 crew. From 14 March to 7 April 1944 B-24 Mitchell bombers repeatedly attacked Truk from Bougainville destroying 130 aircraft. On 29-30 April 1944 further attacks by aircraft from 12 carriers destroyed 123 aircraft and 3 ships.

After a follow up attack in April, 1944, Truk was reduced to rubble with over 70 shipwrecks, 400 aircraft destroyed or sunk. What lies there now is nothing short of amazing. Soft coral adorns light fixtures. Sea life has claimed all of the shallower wreckage and colors run riot.

God, I can hardly wait.

Ken.