The 50's

_jr_

"Rock Around The Clock" / Bill Haley & His Comets and "The Great Pretender" / The Platters were the first two 45s I ever owned. The Platters will always be one of my favorite Groups, Jane. It must have been fun to watch your parents dance. I always wished that I'd learned to dance properly; I just managed the Bridal Waltz.

:)

Funny, the album title "Mighty, Mighty Man" isn't included in the tracks bluesboy. I have a Bobby Darin version of that, but I don't know who did the original ?

You got your money's worth there Steel. Two great A sides really. I remember "Rockin' Robin" got all the airplay first, then the Jocks flipped it over (and over).

Funny, the album title "Mighty, Mighty Man" isn't included in the tracks bluesboy. I have a Bobby Darin version of that, but I don't know who did the original ?

Here's a compilation album released by Rhino with Mighty, Mighty Man

and

Big Town

Looks (scroll down) like Roy Brown did the original.

:cool:

The first rock and roll record I ever played was in 1958, when on a visit to my aunt's house, I found the 45rpm "Rockin Robin" by Bobby Day and the Satellites. I must have played that song 20 times that day. I wanted to memorize every word in it. The flip side was "Over and Over," ironically.

My intro to rock and roll came in 1959 when my family visited a relative in Stockholm. They had a "radio-grammophone" and you could put a stack of 45's in the player and they would drop down and be played automatically. I liked to sit and watch it happen. I didn't care for the music which I think was jazzoriented, but then suddenly I heard a kind of music which made me jump up and listen real hard. I liked it! It was the only record of it's kind and I played it over and over again every time we visited that relative. It was Johnny and the Hurricanes playing Red River Rock .

Hey Sweet Jane my parents were also big into the big band sound. I have seen my parents swing dance to the big band sound. Wow they could really cut a rug as they say. They loved to dance to those tunes. My mom who is 77 can still move pretty good. On New Years Eve we were hitting on all cylinders to "Proud Mary".

rtstuff