Rod Stewart

Nick_Burke

Ok, I have seen some majour Rod Stewart-bashing on this and other sites and I wondered why. As far as I can see he is a great guy. He payed the medical bills of his song-writer (when he was with the faces)when he had multiple sclorosis.

Also, loads of people describe him as a "cover singer". He has only recently covered songs and they were the swing ones for "The American Song Book". Many bands such as Oasis and Stereophonics have convered songs like Handbags and Gladrags. They have done good versions, and well done, but I don't think Rod should be labled a cover singer when he wrote the songs in the early 60's! Any oppinions? Mabey I'm just ranting... either way...

I too am coming out of the closet to say I like to listen to small or even medium doses of Rod Stewart. His voice has deceptive range and his pitch is pinpoint sharp. His is also a uniquely distinct voice during a time when many singers sound closely related. And when he covers a song, he adds his style to it, much like Willie Nelson does. My favorite Rod Stewart song is the one he sings with the Temptations, "Old Motown Records" (or whatever it is titled.) His soulful falsetto and phrasing justs clicks with me from in that and other songs. Have heard a couple of his latest Broadway revival numbers and say, stick with the gritty rock and R&B you do best. Have always wanted to hear a duet with he and Bonnie Tyler (Nothing But A Heartache.) That song would be a great testimonial for gargling with Draino. Don't know a thing about the man's character or habits; but I just listen, we don't call one another on the phone.

my boyfriend loves rod stewart!! i on the other hand am not a fan, mostly because i can't stand to look at him! still i have to say, he has had some great songs like maggie may, handbags and gladrags and many others. i don't particularly like his voice but i agree with S2V, very small doses are okay and can even be enjoyable! i don't really mind established artists who write their own material covering other songs. so many have done this, one example that springs to mind is johnny cash. he brought out albums of covers before he died and nobody labelled him a cover artist!

imo,

Rod's most prolific albums were

Jeff Beck's ('68) Truth album

+

the first 4 Albums up through ('72s) Never a Dull Moment

+

Faces -

First Step ('70)

A Nod is as Good as a Wink...To a Blind Horse ('71)

Long Player ('71)

basically (1968 - 1972)

_ _ _ _ _

Ain't superstitious,

black cat crossed my trail. ~ Willie Dixon

Also, loads of people describe him as a "cover singer". He has only recently covered songs and they were the swing ones for "The American Song Book".

About 15 years ago he covered Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately". On the Every Picture Tells a story album he covered 3 or 4 songs as well including The Temptations "I Know I'm Losing You". He has also done Dylan's "Only A Hobo" and "Mama, You Been On My Mind", Elton John's "Country Comfort", The Beatles "Get Back", and Jimi Hendrix's "Angel". That is only a few of the covers he did back in the early seventies.

I have liked most of his music but I have always thought of him as a cover singer. Just about every album he ever made had a cover in it.

I think I mentioned it before, but i ran into Rod and Rachel Hunter on a very empty side street in the fashion district of NYC. I said "Hi", thanked him for the music. He said "Hi" back and thanked me. Very nice, very brief meeting.

Stay With Me, is a ripping classic by Rod. The stuff he did with Jeff Beck was great. He even did some of the best disco around when he traveled off the beaten path. I don't blame him one bit for doing as many covers as he has....he adjusts his career path to keep it moving forward.

It's hard not to like Rod Stewart. "Mandolin Wind" is among my favorite songs, and he's put up more that are on the list.

But I've seen the man in concert. No photography, no autographs, and a goon squad that ensures there will be no audience participation. These things protect him personally and professionally, and I have no problem with that. To me he comes across more like a businessman than an artist.

I like his early stuff as well. Also, I'm a fan of his "Unplugged. . . and Seated" album. Lots of his songs were begging to be stripped down and IMO it's a good album.

I was going to say the same thing. I think it is one of the best live albums by almost anyone. I fell in love with Tom Traubert's Blues as soon as I had heard the Unplugged version. I haven 't herad much of the early stuff but I'm intriguied by songs like Forever Young, Little Miss Understood, and Some Guys Have All the Luck.

I want to see him perform live, but I doubt I'd be able to afford the tix next time he comes around. But we'll see.

Like Bluesboy, I like the early Rod Stewart material. I love his work with the Faces, but I'm not really familiar with the albums he did with Jeff Beck. IMO, his last good album was Foot Loose & Fancy Free. When he switched to disco in the late 70's, I stopped listening. I can't bring myself to listen to his Great American Songbook CD. IMO, Linda Rondstadt, Anne Murray and Natalie Cole have the voices to do justice to the old ballads. Rod should stick to rock 'n' roll which he does very, very well.