Ginger Baker Almost Ended Cream Reunion Plans

RonJonSurfer

Ginger Baker Almost Pulled Out of Cream Reunion

Cream drummer Ginger Baker almost walked away from the band's historic reunion concert just days before they took to the stage at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Baker re-teamed with singer Eric Clapton and bassist Jack Bruce for a four-night stint at the historic venue last week - 36 years after they performed their farewell show there in 1969.

But the percussionist has revealed he almost withdrew from the spectacular comeback over a long-term rift with Bruce - and Clapton had to convince him to turn up.

Baker says, "I wasn't going to do it. I sent Eric an email saying, 'I've got cold feet and really don't think it's a good idea.' And then Eric phoned me up. I think he understood my reticence but he convinced me. He said, 'Look I think we could do it.'"

"The only person who could have convinced me to do it was Eric. I've always thought the world of him."

"I'm glad now that I've done it, because playing with Eric and Jack is a joy. It has been far better than I could have imagined in every way."