Soundalike hits

xquid79

Songs by two different artists that soundalike. I actually heard this on the radio: "What I Like About You" by The Romantics - without a pause between records or the DJ saying anything - "R O C K In The U S A" by John Mellencamp. A seamless transition.

Interesting question. I was listening to the Coodabeen Champions on ABC local radio on sunday night and they had a small segment they call "getting away with it" which is exactly the same thing as you asked.

Someone wrote in to the show and suggested that the melody and structure of Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" is exactly the same as "Do That To Me One More time" by The Captain and Tenille. I don't know about that, but I agree with their other observation that "Jean Genie" has the same riff as "I'm A Man" by the yardbirds.

Also with the Romantics/Mellencamp link, that riff is the same as "I'm The Man" by Joe Jackson too.

For a variation on the theme, try "Gloria" by Them next to "Jailbreak" by AC/DC and "Lipstick" by Suzi Quatro. Talk about stealing!

Ray Parker JR's Ghostbusters and Huey Lewis and the News' I Want A New Drug.

Scorpions' Always Somewhere and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Kind of Man.

*Aerosmith's Train Kept a Rollin' and Foghat's Honey Hush.

Oh, one can sing the theme song to Gilligan's Island to Amazing Grace.

Just a little useless trivia. :P

*The Yardbirds' version hasn't the heavy similarity.

Inevitably, all song writers have influences and these often come through in their own songs even on a subconcious level. Famously, George Harrison was sued by the writers of the Chiffons' " He's So Fine" over the obvious similarity to "My Sweet Lord".

When he lost the case, Harrison was quoted as saying that he was now scared to write another song in case he used some of the same notes!

Ray Parker JR's Ghostbusters and Huey Lewis and the News' I Want A New Drug.

Scorpions' Always Somewhere and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Kind of Man.

*Aerosmith's Train Kept a Rollin' and Foghat's Honey Hush.

Oh, one can sing the theme song to Gilligan's Island to Amazing Grace.

Just a little useless trivia. :P

*The Yardbirds' version hasn't the heavy similarity.

Useless ... well now, c'mon, just cuz we don't have a use for it now does not mean that we won't someday have a use for it (mike muddles to himself ...yeah, - right?) don't be so hard on yourself....let US be hard on you for you... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: "I" though it was intersting ...but now that doesn't exactly HELP your case does it? ::

Funny that you brought this subject up because I was just telling my Mom how I think that the classic country and western song "Help Me Make It Thru The Night" (written by Kris Kristofferson and sung by Sammi Smith) sounds an awful lot like "The Cold Hard Truth" by George Jones, (a song released in the last few years.) I don't know how many members of this forum like old country music, so I may be the only one that knows what I'm talking about on this song comparison !! ::

i always thought that the introductions to Let It Rain by Eric Clapton and I't Don't Come Easy by Ringo Starr sounded similar but only a few people that i have pointed it out to agree with me.

boy, your right...

the tempo the same, the intro's are very similar, we should ask Bobo if they're in the same key...

way to go sherlock...

Dylanlenn, your observation, IMO, is accurate and quite interesting.

There is a song by April Wine, I Like to Rock, where the ending sounds almost identical to The Beatles' Day Tripper. When I used to DJ I would always fade in Day Tripper to the ending of April Wine's song. I would go back and forth between the two songs in time. It was a great mix.

Oh, and welcome to the Songfacts forum! ::

There is a song by April Wine, I Like to Rock, where the ending sounds almost identical to The Beatles' Day Tripper. When I used to DJ I would always fade in Day Tripper to the ending of April Wine's song. I would go back and forth between the two songs in time. It was a great mix.

Oh, and welcome to the Songfacts forum! ::

April Wine at one time had 3 guitarists. For that tune, they all played a different tune for the outra 1) Day Tripper 2) I Can't Get No Satisfaction and then 3) Myles' own 'I Like to Rock.'

IMO, this was Myles paying homage to two of classic pop/rock's most famous riffs/intros.

BTW, I've always loved that tune. :guitar:

Me too beatleant. They really had a three part guitar harmony going on in that song and your homage theory I believe is right on the money.

I was reminded of the three part harmony guitar work in Scorpions' instrumental masterpiece, Coast to Coast. One of the few songs, if not the only song, where Klaus plays guitar.

If you've ever heard Coast to Coast, try and imagine I Like to Rock's ending mixed in. ::

Me too beatleant. They really had a three part guitar harmony going on in that song.

I was reminded of the three part harmony guitar work in Scorpions' instrumental masterpiece, Coast to Coast. One of the few songs, if not the only song, where Klaus plays guitar.

If you've ever heard Coast to Coast, try and imagine I Like to Rock's ending mixed in. ::

I was into 'The Scorpions' right up to their "Animal Magnetism" album (and "Lovedrive" which includes that tune you've mentioned). The one tune that really blew me away (guitar wise) is the solo ending to "Lady Starlight."

It's been a long time since I've heard "Lovedrive" album and the only ones that I can recall (or at least hum too) is "Loving You Sunday Morning" & "Another Piece of Meat." Sorry, but "Coast to Coast" is eluding me. I'd be lying to say I recall that tune. I've been meaning to pick up some more of the 70's work of "The Scorpions" on CD.

Thx for the reminder!! :coolio:

Ant

Scorpions are one of my all-time favorite bands. IMO, their last good album was Love at First Sting and all of their albums before that one, IMO, were excellent. I loved their album covers but sadly most of the original covers were banned in the USA. I mentioned earlier how their Always Somewhere sounded a lot like Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Kind of Man which was also on Lovedrive.

It's funny that you can't remember Coast to Coast but believe me, if you heard it you'd remember.

I mentioned it because truly, it and I Like to Rock's ending would mix together like peas and carrots.

Just take some cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise and that is the slaw! ::

Well, every song at least has one influence, except if they are off-the-wall goofoffs like "The Ballad of the Green Beret" or "They're Coming to Take me Away", but here is an interesting.

My mother and I were driving someplace and we were listening to Oldies and we turned on the station and we heard songs, and one was Jay and the Techniques' "Apples, Peaches and Pumpkin Pie", and we listened to the bridge and it sounded a lot like Bruce Springsteen's "Pink Cadilliac", which came out much later.

There is another song. I do not know which cd this is, even though I am thinking of finding out. But, as we listened to the cd, the first two songs were the Hollies' "Bus Stop" and "I Can't Let Go", and we heard another song on that same cd, and it had a reminisced sound of the Ronettes' "Be My Baby", I do not know which song this is. But, I know it was copied.

Brandon8528

P.S. I still love "Pink Cadilliac" a lot!

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the blatantly ripped off song by the Black Crows ........ Jealous Again which is badly ripped off from the Classic Stones song

Tumbling Dice........though it is still a very good tune.....

Surprised that the Stones never made a fuss about this???

And of course, Boogie with Stu by Zep which is an appalling and blatant rip off of Richie Valens 'Oh my head'.....man that was unreal.......Zep did get sued on this one and lost!

Both great songs though....

• 2 weeks later...

1. It's been a hundred years since I've heard either song, but I think Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks is similar to Neil Sedaka's Laughter In the Rain.

2. Whenever I hear Turn To Stone by ELO, I think of Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations [and vice versa].

As Charles Manson said "Do these sound alike, or am I crazy ?"

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the progressive open chording plus the funk beat female backups? I can hear the Crowes in Susan Tedeschi, Joan Osborne; the slide intro in Kickin' My Heart Around is right out of The Thompson Brothers' Band. I think there is something to the Boston Area music beat theory. :drummer: