Unchained Melody and its movie connection

Carl

Someone sent in some info on Unchained Melody, and how it first appeared in a movie called "Unchained," which is about a guy in prison. This would explain the lyrics like "Time goes by so slowly." I checked it out and it looks like the movie was from 1955. I can't get it on DVD, so I'm wondering if any of you know what the song in the movie sounds like, and if it at all resembles the famous version by The Righteous Brothers.

Back in the seventies I was fortunate to see Al Hibbler at the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden for an oldies/doo-wop show. He sang Unchained Melody that evening and I believe he is the same one who sang it in the movie Unchained. I believe he was the first of many to hit the charts with Unchained Melody. As you may know this song has been placed on the charts by more folks than probably any other song (that being in both the US and England). As far as comparing it to the popular Righteous Brothers version, Hibbler's version was more toned down but quite recognizable to those who know the popular version.

If you can get a version of Al Hibbler's Unchained Melody, you will have the version from the movie.

if i'm not mistaken, the original is by the righteous brothers

I would have to say you are mistaken. The original version was done by Al Hibbler back in the early to mid fifties. As mentioned in my post above, I do believe it was his version used in the movie Unchained.