Carpenters in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

RickHenry

True you definitely can not classify Carpenters as rock music. Though one can say they are the foremost makers of "soft rock". Regardless their music was influenced by rock aritsts Beatles and Beach Boys. They used many instruments and styles which are used in rock music such as electric guitar, electric bass, progressive drum patterns. and first and foremost their music was made and became popular during the rock era and has also influenced many musicians and listeners in the rock era.

Not everyone in the RRHOF performed rock music. Certainly can't classify Mahalia Jackson or Dinah Washington as rock - not even close to it.

Other than the fact that it doesn't quite feel right...I can't give a great explanation as to why The Carpenters shoudln't be considered. I just think that they didn't influence other rock stars to emulate their style. Most of the people in the Hall of Fame, that are not rockers per se, had some influnce on later rockers.

The Carpenters just were....they were successful, but nothing beyond that. Does any of this make sense? I'm not doing a good job explaining myself.

The only hint of rock I ever heard on a Carpenters recording was the guitar solo on "I'll Say Goodbye To Love." Of course neither of them played that solo, but I am pretty sure Richard did all the arranging, so its inclusion for the music break would have been his call. I still like the ripped up sound of that guitar.

I can't remember his name....but somebody will, the guitarist certainly deserves his spot in the limeight....awesome (and to my ears) improvised rock guitar solos....it's the only thing that makes some of their songs listenable....calling occupants....total shite, until the guitar solo....ditto Goodbye to Love....JMHO :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: