Download - 2005

Earth-Angel

www.downloadfestival.co.uk

?We didn?t rock Donington, Donington rocked us??

Larry Hibbitt from Hundred Reasons

The UK?s ultimate outdoor live music arena, a place of pilgrimage for heavy rock fans, and a spiritual home from home for generations of festival-goers, Download is proud to be the latest chapter of the rock history associated with Donington Park ? a venue that has seen more of the world?s greatest rock bands than any one of us!

pic1.jpg

A site born for decibel-defying noise, Donington Park revved into action more than 70 years ago, originally as a Grand Prix racing track. Situated in the heart of Derbyshire, the track is still in use today for motor-racing, but is perhaps better known for hosting top music events such as Monsters Of Rock, Ozzfest, a number of one-off concerts and most recently, Download.

It all started back in 1980, on 16 August, when Rainbow guitarist Richie Blackmore (formerly of Deep Purple) decided to put on the first ever Monsters Of Rock festival. Although the event turned out to be a near disaster due to an incessant downpour of rain and one of the biggest mud baths ever seen, it didn?t deter organisers from deciding to stage another huge festival under the same banner the following year. It became a hugely successful annual event, on most occasions attracting crowds of more than 100,000.

pic2.jpg

The staggering roll-call of acts to have played Donington reads like a who?s who of the best rock and heavy metal bands to have graced the last three decades. The likes of AC/DC, Iron Maiden, BlackSabbath, Metallica, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, and Guns N? Roses have given millions of music fans unforgettable live moments. Ozzy Osbourne considers the place to be his ?old stomping ground?, giving even more meaning to this year?s historic teaming of Download with Ozzfest.

When the plug was finally pulled on Monsters of Rock in 1996, the beast wasn?t dead; it was merely sleeping. It arose with an almighty bark in 2003. The monster was dog-shaped and the festival had expanded to two days of mayhem across three stages, adding extreme sports and 21st century innovation. Download was born and a new standard of rock festival was set, shattering every mould in the process. 2005 sees the event gaining a third day, and incorporating Ozzfest into the action.

download-dog.jpg

After all these years, rock history is certainly showing no inclination to roam elsewhere. Who will ever forget Metallica?s legendary headline appearance at Download last year, when (for the first time in the band?s career) drummer Lars Ulrich missed the gig (due to illness) and was replaced by an all-star rotation of tub thumpers including Slipknot?s Joey Jordison and Slayer?s Dave Lombardo? The magic of the moment brought a tear to the even the most hardened rocker?s eye.

metallica_01_06_03__05.jpg

Festival goers and artists often comment on how they can actually feel the venue?s rich rock history reverberating within them. And who said rock fans weren?t spiritual?

The line-up for 2005

Feeder, Garbage, The Mooney Suzuki, Black Sabbath, System of a Down, Slayer, HIM, Anthrax, Therapy?... what a brilliant line-up! I am so stoked we will be going!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :guitar: :drummer: :guitar: :drummer: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

• 1 month later...

I literally just walked in the door after driving back from Download/Ozzfest and I can tell you all, it rocked and it rocked hard!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

We saw loads of excellent bands including Anthrax, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Velvet Revolver, HIM, Unearth... I could go on, but I shan't! Not yet! I have photo's to peruse and dirt to scrape from under my fingernails. Oh, dirt you say? Yes, we rocked so hard we threw rockon's the entire time we were there! No time to shower when you're busy having fun you know! ::

All in all, seriously good fun, very few hiccups and loads of brilliant music!

I'm jealous... *sulk*

Hmwell. I take solace in having seen Kraftwerk and The Faint this week and will be checking out two Chris Isaak concerts, among other things :beatnik: I'm inspired now to get tix for some Metal concerts :drummer:

Friday and Saturday were the best in that line-up. Megadeth and Garbage in the same night? Totally rips :rockon:

I attended Monsters of Rock 1983

The lineup:

Twisted Sister

Meatloaf

Motorhead

Thin Lizzy :rockon: (they blew them ALL away)

Blue Oyster Cult

Whitesnake

I've a feeling I'm forgetting a couple. Hey, I was 19 and drunk, cut me some slack.

• 4 weeks later...

I literally just walked in the door after driving back from Download/Ozzfest and I can tell you all, it rocked and it rocked hard!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

We saw loads of excellent bands including Anthrax, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Velvet Revolver, HIM, Unearth... I could go on, but I shan't! Not yet! I have photo's to peruse and dirt to scrape from under my fingernails. Oh, dirt you say? Yes, we rocked so hard we threw rockon's the entire time we were there! No time to shower when you're busy having fun you know! ::

All in all, seriously good fun, very few hiccups and loads of brilliant music!

You went?!

*Is insanely jealous*

Argh! I so wanted to go! I saw the highlights from it on Kerrang and it looked awesome.

:rockon:

My sister is going to T in The Park and i am insanely jealous of her! She's going on the Sunday which, apart from Green Day, QOTSA, Kaiser Chiefs and Kasabian isn't the best line up. I woul;d have loved to go on the Saturday!

:rockon: