Cream concert a hit

jman14141414

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050503/ap_en_mu/music_cream_reunion

LONDON - Reviewers hailed the reunion of Cream, the rock supergroup, though they found it hard to resist comments about the advanced age of the performers and the audience.

More than 25 years after their last performance together,

Eric Clapton), now 60,

Jack Bruce), 61, and

Ginger Baker, 65, pulled a sold-out house at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday night. The band simply walked on stage unannounced and dug into "I'm So Glad."

After two more songs, each received with a standing ovation, Clapton said. "Thanks for waiting all those years!"

"We'll probably play everything we know — we'll play as long as we can," he told the crowd.

The cheering continued in Tuesday's review columns.

"They were never less than good, often brilliant, occasionally inspired," David Cheal wrote in The Daily Telegraph. "And they got better as the night went on."

The group played its farewell concert at the Albert Hall on Nov. 26, 1968, and most of the audience dated from that era.

"The atmosphere is less like a rock concert than a corporate hospitality tent at

Wimbledon. Paunchy men in sports jackets clink ice in gin and tonics, and mumsy ladies fan themselves with pricey souvenir programs," Alex Petridis wrote in The Guardian.

Petridis found the performance a pale shadow of Cream's brief glory years.

"You get a brief glimpse of what the fuss was about during 'Rollin' and Tumblin,' when Bruce abandons his bass guitar in favor of a harmonica, and Clapton and Baker churn out a frantic, clattering riff," Petridis wrote.

The same tune wowed Cheal.

"Rollin' and Tumblin,' with Bruce on harmonica, was sensational, an express train of a song, hurtling along with purpose, power and unstoppable momentum. For the first of many occasions during the evening, I had to sit, blink, look around the stage and remind myself that I was watching Cream at the Albert Hall — and they were very, very good," Cheal wrote.

"Inevitably, they were a diminished version of their former selves," he wrote. "... They are not young men, and they were not playing, as they once did, as if their lives depended on it."

Damn I wish I was there.