Country

InsaneTim

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson are sharing a bill in concert here soon. Should be an interesting show. If I can score some freebies I might attend.

Not cogent to the thread but the pairing is rather odd so I thought I'd mention it. Thanks for your patience.

There was a post on here a few months back about who would someone listen to if trying to make a smooth transition from R&R to Country. I will try to find it for you and point it out here.

I always said I hated country, because all my friends said that. But I got a job as a country DJ/sales exec on a small local station and learned a new respect for the genre. I still prefer the crossovers to the twangy Buck Owens type musicians, but I know country runs the gamut; and that R&R owes much to its older brother.

I think rock 'n' roll takes the main stage cause it tends to be more popular to the masses.

Though I would listen to Rock 'n Roll over country music I am not really sure if rock is more popular than country music in this country. I have always heard there are more country music stations in this country than that of any other genre. I have to believe that says something about popularity.

Of course you won't find as many country stations in large markets such as the NYC area where I live. As a matter of fact I do not believe we have a full time country station here. We did in years past. WHN-AM was the dominant country station for years until it's passing in the mid to late eighties. In the mid nineties we had a country music station on 103.5 FM (I do not recall the call letters) which died within a couple of years as well.

With that said, even though there are more country radio stations out there it may not be playing to large audiences found in the large markets. That would put a big dent in it's popularity.

Country music also has more than it's share of crossover hits. That should draw some pop fans into the country mix.

Although I prefer rock 'n' roll, I do like some country music. Mary Chapin Carpenter, Patsy Cline, Emmylou Harris, Trisha Yearwood and Sweethearts of The Rodeo are some of my favourites. Some of the most versatile and talented musicians are found in country music. Roy Clark(guitar, fiddle and mandolin), Jerry Douglas (dobro), Vince Gill(guitar) and Ricky Skaggs(mandolin and guitar) are just a few of the great instrumentalists in country music. In the rural areas of Canada, country music is far and away the most popular musical genre.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like some country music, especially The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band( I know, some of their stuff is a little bit more rockish.). I think that Martina McBride and Vince Gill have good voices. Some of the older stuff (like Hank Willams Sr.) is okay as long as it's not to twangy.