Who's a jerk...and who isn't?

johnnyguitar

Which artists come on as big jerks/fearsome characters, but are really nice once you get to know them...and who come over as really nice, but are actually jerks/assholes in real life?

Starters...Keith Richards...tries to look hard and fearsome, actually very warm, funny and sensible man.

Elton John...seems like a nice guy...actually a complete wazzock!

Just for starters, mind you.... ::

Midge Ure (Ultravox) is really cool... I don´t know if he looks like a jerk or not but he´s lovely.

Elliot Murphy is very nice too. David Byrne is very posh and distant but he´s so polite...

Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) is an ***hole. A real diva.

Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) is an ***hole. A real diva.

Well, he has a right to be. I mean, he did have one hit song that was a remake that sucked to begin with, and that sucked even worse when he did it. He has no choice but to be an a**hole.

I've never met him (and hopefully I will never have to), but he always came off as an a**hole.....and evidently he really is one. What a surprise! And that hair just screams "A**HOLE"! This guy should just tattoo it across his forehead!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :thumbsdown:

Well, he has a right to be. I mean, he did have one hit song that was a remake that sucked to begin with, and that sucked even worse when he did it. He has no choice but to be an a**hole.

I've never met him (and hopefully I will never have to), but he always came off as an a**hole.....and evidently he really is one. What a surprise! And that hair just screams "A**HOLE"! This guy should just tattoo it across his forehead!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :thumbsdown:

I met him a couple of times in some press conferences/interviews and he was polite with me but he was really horrible with some of my colleagues... He´s so sure he´s almost a god...

Johnny Thunders seemed very cool too, only he was always so stoned... and so hooked on other stuff... and nobody could trust him, of course, nor take him seriously.

Which artists come on as big jerks/fearsome characters, but are really nice once you get to know them...and who come over as really nice, but are actually jerks/assholes in real life?

Starters...Keith Richards...tries to look hard and fearsome, actually very warm, funny and sensible man.

Elton John...seems like a nice guy...actually a complete wazzock!

Just for starters, mind you.... ::

Keith Richards is "trying" to look like that?

"Keith Richards...tries to look hard and fearsome, actually very warm, funny and sensible man."

No offence to Keith, but how can a man wearing eye makeup, a bandana and shoulder-pads possibly look 'hard and fearsome'? I'm sure he is a lovely bloke, but I wouldn't chose his 'stylist'.

Regards

The only big name musicians I've met are Cheap Trick. My friend's stepdad is best friends with Bun E. Carlos, so when they came to the area last year we got to hang out with them back stage before the show. Rick Nielson is as colorful and goofy as you'd expect. I can tell he loves being an entertainer. He was kinda being a jerk, although I know he was just trying to be funny. Bun E. was kinda quiet and pretty much just talked with my friend's stepdad. He's probably been the glue that's held the band together over the years. Not your typical rock star persona. I didn't get a chance to talk with Tom Petersson for very long. He was at the side of the stage talking with one of the techs. Robin Zander was the one who showed up fashionably late, took pictures with everyone, and always had a big smile on his face. Probably the most friendly of the bunch. They all did their own thing beforehand, but once the show started they all clicked! Oh, and guess what I got to play!

checker5.JPG

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :neener:

All three members of Rush are extremely nice and generous. I met them at thier Boston show on April 12, 2004 and after hearing of a tragedy I went through a year ago tommorow they gave me VIP front row seats, two shirts, autographed drumsticks and picks (from both Geddy and Alex), a flashing body pin, a poster, postcard, autographed picture of the whole band with "Good Luck Michael" written at the top and a keychain.

Geddy and Alex are quite talkative, Neil is rather shy.

1. Rajah, you are offbase concerning Old Blue Eyes. He was a friend of my family's and he was always warm and kind and down to earth. Don't believe everything you read or see depicted in film.

2. I've met and interacted with some of the Golden Boys of Rock and Roll as they were called. Chubby Checker is a total jerk. Fabian is an a**hole. Bobby Rydell and Frankie Avalon are genuine nice guys.

3.Smokey Robinson is real. A prince of a man. And for all of his talent David Ruffin was a total egotistical jerk who probably caused the death of Tammy Terrell.

There are tons of artists who appear to be one way or another or who have certain reps but not having met them it's difficult to grade them.

Another "nice guy" vote for Frank Sinatra. My brother was a courier for a movie studio and had to drive out to Palm Springs to deliver some package to Ol Blue Eyes. My brother happened to drive up at the same time Frank was getting ready to leave, so my brother got to talk to him in the driveway. He asked my brother if he was hungry after the drive from LA. My brother said "a little bit", so Frank not only had his cook whip something up, he also signed a personal message for my mom on a head shot.

I used to work at a movie theatre when I was in high school and met a few famous people. Mostly TV and movie types. If I was working the door and I saw the celebrity before they bought a ticket, I would have them come up to me and let them "in on my pass", which required their signature. That way I got my autograph, they got to see a free movie. I met John Doe (from X) who was a very mild mannered and polite. I was not working the door when he came up, so he got free soda and popcorn (what can I say, I'm a giver!) He seemed genuinely appreciative and tolerated a few questions about the band. I had David Lee Roth in on my pass a few times. He was also cool, but VERY high energy (probably coke, now that I think about it.) He liked it when I was there since I would let him put his bike in the back room!

Since I married my wife, I have met quite a few jazz greats through my father in law, who is an established singer. All of those guys are great, but one or two I have to watch. The geezers like to make passes at my wife!

Also, Roger Waters comes across as a huge [bleep].

I never met any Floyd but I worked in a spot and some of my friends were in the shooting crew with Roger Waters. Seems he was very serious, distant and didn´t like jokes.

Some of my relatives also knew Frank Sinatra for many years and they said he was a very nice and simple man.

Lou Reed is a diva and is not a nice guy. I met John Cale when he did a TV show and he was wearing his sunglasses for days. Then I found out somebody had punched his eye, which was violet... His wife was smiling around to everybody as if she was saying "Excuse him he´s such an artist..." :laughing:

Joe Cocker likes to have drinks with normal people in the bars.

PS..... I thought Midge Ure was notorious for beating his wife....beautiful lady, but lots of black eyes....just what I'd heard.

PPS Saw him deputising for Brian Robertson, Thin Lizzy....and he did a damn fine job....mind you, that was before I heard that he was hitting on his girl :(

I never met any Floyd but I worked in a spot and some of my friends were in the shooting crew with Roger Waters. Seems he was very serious, distant and didn´t like jokes.

That's interesting because in something I read about the movie "The Wall" Roger Waters said that the one thing he didn't like about it was that it had no humor.