Oh dear what can I do, John is black says Yoko Ono

RonJonSurfer

Yoko Ono Says 'Why Not a Black John Lennon?'

A musical based on the life and death of John Lennon premiered last week in San Francisco with a black man featured as one of 27 actors in the title role.

?Lennon,? which plans a New York bow in July, uses the late artist?s solo songs to tell his story and employs 27 male and female actors of various races to portray a warts-and-all account of the legendary Beatle.

The musical was blessed by Lennon?s widow Yoko Ono, who told the ?San Francisco Chronicle? that she dug the idea of a "mixed-gender, mixed-race John.?

?Why can't a black man act as John Lennon, you know?? she said. ?John always said, 'I wish I had a black voice to sing blues.' Well now he has one! These days the world is hip. They can accept black Jesus. Why not black Lennon?"

The show will run until May 14 at the Orpheum and open on Broadway July 7.

If you can't do something compelling with the life and music of John Lennon, maybe you need to be in another business.

John Lennon Musical Cancelled :doh:

The producers of a new musical based on the life of John Lennon have scrapped the show's upcoming Boston, Massachusetts run after failing to impress critics in San Francisco, California.

The musical, "Lennon", opened in San Francisco on April 12 to poor reviews and sales, prompting the producers to review the show before it debuts on Broadway in July.

In a statement, director Don Scardino says, "We're retooling the first act to make the storyline more linear. I was surprised to learn that a lot of people aren't familiar with John's story."