Route 66 And Your Trip

windy1

I have lots of ideas for "dream vacaions",tropical islands, beaches, mountains, sailing etche rest of you have more.

I also have my geek vacaion, a vacation where I can actually

study something and learn more about somthing. That dream vacation for me is Route 66. I am facinated by the history and sociology of this highway. It was not just a road, but a way of life for many. My dream is follow Route 66, as much as posible, from St. Louis to LA. When I was young I used to make this trip, when the Highway was still in use. i remember a lot, and want to see what is there and what is not. I know some parts of the road do not even exist anymore so it could be quite the adventure.

How about anyone else, geek vacations you'd like to take?

I like visiting rock and roll related sites when i travel. I drag family members on my adventures all the time. There are photos of my or by me at places like:

The Corner of Haight and Ashbury, San Francisco

Sneaking onto the property at 461 Ocean Blvd in Miami.

(see Clapton)

China Grove and LaGrange Texas

The Dakota, New York

The Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ

Woodstock, NY (the site of, not the town)

Madam Maries (see Bruce)

and so on...

I like visiting rock and roll related sites when i travel. I drag family members on my adventures all the time. There are photos of my or by me at places like:

The Corner of Haight and Ashbury, San Francisco

I've been there and it's awesome, if you don't mind the drug dealers(got offered pot there, not sure if it's something I should be proud of though) and the flith. I would go back there any day. :thumbsup:

A three day drive up the Pacific Coast Highway in my Thunderbird Convertible. Stops along the way at restaurants, antique shoppes, etc.

South Beach, Miami

Big Sur, CA

Key Largo

The Via Veneto

Beethoven Strasse, Amsterdam

Heidelberg, Germany

Garmisch, Germany

Vienna, Austria

Geneva, Sw

Copenhagen, Denmark

Interesting that you mention Route 66, the highway that no longer exists except on the maps of romantics and historians. When I travel on the roads I avoid the inerstate highways. I prefer the old US highways and state roads that sometimes go nowhere but always lead me to somewhere interesting. I imagine the roads and towns as how they were at some other point in time, and I am never late.

A drive through the Black Hills of the Dakotas is well worth it. As well, a trip to Yellowstone N.P. by any means is a trip back in time.... :thumbsup: A geek vacation is a hard name as I've seen as much beauty and wonder in the Carlsbad Caverns as I ever saw in Hawaii !

I love France. It´s a beautiful country, I guess it´s the most beautiful of all I know, which are few. I have friend who used to pick me up in Madrid and then we went to Paris by car, stoping in little towns and eating good french food on our way.

I'm a museum geek. I can't get enough of them. My boyfriend doesn't mind them but I think he'd rather be skydiving over a canyon than on an archaelogical excursion looking for bone fragments at the bottom of the canyon :laughing:

Geeks R Us I guess ::

As am I, though I learned soon in Athens that with limited time, one must move on and accept books/ documentaries at their value.... ::

As am I, though I learned soon in Athens that with limited time, one must move on and accept books/ documentaries at their value.... ::

yeah, well we have alot of stuff to see in athens. i just took my boyfirned to see the acropolis to be honest!

i will join the geek circle too, i like going on holiday somewhere where i can see stuff, go to museums, temples, whatever is appropriate in the particular location. i am definitely not one for adventure holidays!

When I say geek trip, I mean a trip whre you actually learn something. When I was a kid most of Route 66 was still in exsistence. It starts in Chicago, but I have traveled the route from St Louis to Needles Ca and beyond. I remember loving that trip. Now that so much of the Highway is gone, I'd like to see just where it has gone(disappeared) to!

for some reason, people choose to visit places like auswichz (sp?) quite late in their life. my dad went when he was over 60. now he is doing another geek trip, he has gone on a road trip to the greek villages where his family had to hide during ww2, and wants to try and remember the houses they were hidden in.

The bells are going off in my head as I read this. Like RonJon, When I travel, I like to visit places related to specific songs. I went out of my way to see Winslow, Arizona, where Sara took a picture of me standing on a corner. It gave me an idea for a website:

Songplaces.com

This will be a site dedicated to places with musical connections. It will give music and travel geeks like us a place to post stories about these places and give us an excuse to go there. Please document any songplaces you visit - take pictures, jot down some notes, etc., because when we launch the site, we'll be able to use it.

This is going to be fun.

Now, here's a real "geek vacation":

First of all, we start off in London, England, to visit the burial site of Charles Babbage, inventor of the first analytical engine, and nicknamed "The Father of Modern Computers". Had it not been for Sir Charles, none of us would be posting our dream vacations here at all.

Then it's off to Berlin, Germany, to visit the boyhood home of Conrad Zuse, the German engineer who is credited with building the first program-controlled computer, called the Z-3. What a blast we'll have here!

Next, we jet on over to the United States, where we end up at the headquarters of International Business Machines (IBM) in Armont, New York. If we're lucky, we may even get to meet John Backus, the inventor of Fortran, the first high-level computer programming language. Who knows...we might even meet up with Alan Shugart, inventor of the floppy disk. Wouldn't that be just super-keen, boys and girls?!

And what vacation would be complete without a trip to Cupertino, California, to meet who are arguably the two greatest names in computers, Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs. These, my friends, are truly two of the greatest Steves the world has ever known.

And last but not least, a quick one-hour flight up the coast to Seattle, Washington, for the coup de gras, the top of the heap, the HEAD CHEESE..... Mr. William H. "Bill" Gates, co-founder and CEO of Microsoft Corporation. Whoo-hoo!! Just being in the same state with this man would give me chills up and down my spine! But to actually meet him in the flesh, I would be able to die a happy man...as I'm sure all you youngsters would.

Well, that's it, folks....a rough draft of the greatest "geek" vacation the world has ever seen. Everyone is invited to come along with me. Remember, no cameras are allowed at any of the corporate headquarters, but you can snap your little heineys off at the European sites. Everyone should have a sofa-size photograph of the burial place of Charles Babbage! Call it art nouveau...call it what you will...but it would sure spruce up a living room!

Anyway, thanks for coming along, everybody. Hope you enjoyed it. And remember, kids, "Just because you're smart, that doesn't make you a social pariah." Good night, boys and girls.....and sweet computer dreams.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :drummer: :drummer:

The bells are going off in my head as I read this. Like RonJon, When I travel, I like to visit places related to specific songs. I went out of my way to see Winslow, Arizona, where Sara took a picture of me standing on a corner. It gave me an idea for a website:

Songplaces.com

This will be a site dedicated to places with musical connections. It will give music and travel geeks like us a place to post stories about these places and give us an excuse to go there. Please document any songplaces you visit - take pictures, jot down some notes, etc., because when we launch the site, we'll be able to use it.

This is going to be fun.

Cool...link it up with www.findagrave.com and you can add travel to the grave sites of famous rockers...there are plenty of those. :headphones:

I would love to be able to visit WW2 battle sites and museums in Europe and in the Pacific. Dont think it will ever happen, though :( Maybe when I am 60 something...

My parents are curently travelling around Europe as part of a hockey tour (my dad plays). They were at Gallipoli on ANZAC Day for the 90th Anniversary along with 20,000 other Aussies and New Zealanders. It has become something of a right of passage for young Aussies since our national identity was forged on the beaches of Turkey.

Mum and Dad also went to the war cemeteries in France and Belgium, where we have a great uncle who was killed in action on the Western Front buried there. They said that both experiences were intense, moving, patriotic and incredibly sad. I would love to make it over there one day.

I'd also love to see the battlefields of the Pacific War, and I guess I don't have that far to go to see those.

One place I know I am going to is Ireland. One of my friends has just moved to Dublin, and I am going to see her at the end of the year, looking forward to it too!!! :)

As much as I'd love to see all the world has to offer, more than anything I would love to explore the United States. Visit all the places I have read about. I'd love to visit the coast of Maine, the Carolinas and the east coast. The Dakotas, and so much more. There is such a variety to explore and experience right here. I love history,and the history of any place I happen to be is what I love to learn about.

katie, if you're coming to ireland ou should come to cork and visit me!! or well, at least just come to cork - it's the european capital of culture this year and the so-called 'real' capital of ireland ever year! also kerry is just beautiful, don't miss it!!

Gisela, I would love to! My friend is working at a Dublin Hotel on reception, I will find out the name of the hotel. I have read about Cork, and it does sound beautiful. My friend went for a tour around Ireland when she first got there and said that I wouldn't believe the scenery, it's so beautiful that it doesn't look real. I can't wait to go!!

your friend is right katie, i sometimes forget how breathtaking the scenery in ireland can be! the germans go crazy for all the green landscape!

funny story, going to a radiohead concert a few years back my boyfriend and i couldn't get on the train cos the all ireland final was on. so his dad gave tickets for the final to a colleague on condition she would drive us up! cue the most hilarious three hours of my life with two crazy kerrymen and a crazy kerrywoman, all siblings. one of the brothers, a pilot, was definitely one of the campest people i've ever met. he kept talking about the glen of aherloe and how his sister just *had* to drive through it, saying (imagine graham norton as fr noel furlong if you can!!) 'it's just so beautiful, when you see it in the evening with all the little lights twinkling in the little houses, you can just imagine it's where the hobbits live'.

well, there's a tangent! moral being, ireland is gorgeous and do get in touch when you finally make it over!! :)