I need computer help, please

_Laurie_

:help: I'm really computer illiterate and i need help with a problem...i love to search the web, especially for bio's on groups and songs, but everytime i search the web I get bombed with pop-ups, and not just a few either...when i go to songfacts i'm ok, but when i start searching the pop ups never end...it's like they attach themselves, and i cant get rid of them. I have AOL broadband, cable, not dial up. even when my computer is just sitting idle they come up. I've done the recovery on my computer three times so far, and it's fine untill i start seaching the web. I have the AOL pop up controls on also, it doesnt help. anyone have any advise for me, i'd appreciate it.....thanks

Laurie, I had the same problem for a long time... even with a Macintosh... there would be maybe ten or twelve pop-ups appearing one after the other... :stars: I just clicked to make them disappear and somehow it seems to have stopped... a little. But now it´s my outlook account which is receiving spam mails, maybe ten or more per day... I´d love to hear any suggestion too...

Laurie, you need the free Pop-Up Stopper from PanicWare. I've been using it for years and it works great. (sounds like a commercial, huh?). You can go to the site and download it yourself. Make sure you download the free edition. Here's the link: FREE POP-UP STOPPER .

If you'd prefer I can e-mail you the set up file. That'd be even easier. Just PM me and I'll gladly e-mail the file.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

That goes for you too edna.

Get yourself a Spyware removal program. Massive amounts of pop-ups are usually due to a program (or two or twenty) that has secretly installed itself on your PC and causes pop-up advertisement to occur periodically (sometimes constantly). You can find some free ones out there.

Look for one that has good ratings or has been downloaded thousands of times. Then you know it should be okay to use.

I agree with AddictedtoClassic. Fixing the pop up problem is not going to solve all of your problems. You need a good anti virus program, anti spyware program, and a firewall.

Most people dont want to pay for this stuff, if you do, I highly recommend Kaspersky anti virus personal. For a software firewall, Outpost is good.

Microsoft has a free anti spyware program (beta). I guess it's better than nothing.

Norton products are most popular, and probably do the job. Usually if you watch and wait, you can get their products for FREE (after mail in rebate). If you go this route I would get Norton Internet Security (this is a combination of firewall, anti virus, and anti spam program).

There are several things I dont like about Norton, but those reasons could really drag out this e-mail.

As always, make sure your computer is kept up to date with all the Windows Updates. Quick link: from your internet browser click TOOLS, and go down to Windows Update.

Also make sure your Office program is up to date as well. Office Update Link

You can order free service pack updates for Windows, and Office programs HERE.

PS #1) GOOGLE also has a free pop up blocker that works great.

PS #2) If you want to see how vulnerable your pc is to spyware, and hackers go through this test at GRC. Click to begin test Click on Proceed, then click on "ALL SERVICE PORTS". If you don't pass in the 'stealth mode' you have ports that are open to hackers and spyware.

Hope this helps.

Yes, mac is better in this case... that´s why I was so surprised to be bombed by pop-ups. My husband installed all kind of things and it stopped, but I still have pop-ups from time to time and mainly, lots of spam through the mail. So yesterday I told him to download and install the program UncleJoe suggested and guess it worked, coz this morning I had no spam in my outlook mailbox.

Seems my husband didn´t install the anti-spam program yet... well, I have no many pop-ups, but do you mac users get ten spam mails per day or so? I´ve been told that it´s due to the fact that I "eliminated the cookies" (sic) I know nothing about this...