Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW: if you like "Iris" you should check out "Name" and "Slide." They are both good songs. "Name" is my personal favorite of the three, but "Iris" is a close second.

Checked out Name, it's a nice song, but I always think of something special when I hear Iris, so that will always remain my favourite song by them.

Now listening to slide, it's a nice happy song. I like it :).

Excellent choice for best one-hit wonders and for best basslines.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Excellent song but Sugarloaf had another very successful hit with "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You."

"Journey to the Center of the Mind" - The Amboy Dukes. Great one-hit wonder.

I'm not sure I could consider Ted Nugent a one-hit-wonder but damn good song.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so I don't know if this one has been mentioned

Give Me Just a Little More Time - Chairmen of the Board

Yes, this song has already been mentioned on the second page of this thread...by you. :)

I liked Chaimen of the Board. Another highly successful song by them was You've Got Me (Dangling on a String).

Drift Away - Dobie Gray

He was more of a two-hit wonder, as eight years before "Drift Away," he had a hit with "The 'In' Crowd."

Another song that I don't think hasn't been mentioned yet is "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz. I don't know why they had another hit?

• 5 months later...

San Francisco Girls (Return Of The Native) by Fever Tree

I heard just the very end of this song a few days ago. I absolutely remembered it, but I wouldn't have been able to "Name That Tune" in a hundred notes or a thousand years if the radio DJ hadn't announced it.

Although a Texas, USA-based act, Fever Tree made its mark with a tribute to the Summer of Love's host city with their 1968 anthem "San Francisco Girls (Return Of The Native)". Comprising Rob Landes (keyboards), Dennis Keller (vocals), E.E. Wolfe (bass), John Tuttle (drums) and Michael Knust (guitar), the psychedelic band formed in Houston, Texas, in the mid-60s as Bostwick Vine. The name change came in 1967 and the band subsequently signed with the Chicago-based Mainstream Records. Two unsuccessful singles were recorded, and the unit then signed to Uni Records, and recorded their self-titled debut album in 1968. "San Francisco Girls (Return Of The Native)" was penned by Vivian Holtzman, one of the band's producers. Although only a minor chart hit, it received much airplay on the new USA FM rock stations and on John Peel's Top Gear radio programme in the UK.

(from www.oldies.com)

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is my favourite one hit wonder (And one of my favourite songs ever).

It's probably too new for you oldies though :laughing:

you do know that the Goos started out as a hard punk band - and their first release (no longer in print to my knowledge) included punk covers of Cream "Sunshine Of Your Love" and a Blue Oyster Cult song I can't place right at the moment. Us "oldies" know more than you think. Let me know if I'm wrong on the Cream song... it may be a different title.... :rockon:

also - for one hitters :googly: heh heh - anybody remember Benny Mardones "Into the Night"??? in my best falsetto - "if I could fly, I'd pick you up and take you into the night...."

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same list in another forum. Favorite songs, I think. I didn't realize they were one hit wonders till someone pointed it out to me.

Go All the Way - The Raspberries

Give Me Just a Little More Time - The Chairmen of the Board

Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards

Sweet City Woman - The Stampeders

Vehicle - The Ides of March

Western Union Man - (forget the Artist)

Also, I must take exception to mrs mojorisin's listing Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town" as a one hit wonder. What about Jailbreak, Whiskey in a Jar, Dancin' in the Moonlight, The Cowboy Song, etc? I'm a big fan of Thin Lizzy, and I think they never got the respect or recognition they deserved.

Hi Dave! Thanks for the welcome to the forum, by the way.

I didn't realize anyone outside of Canada had ever heard of the Stampeders. They had a string of hits in Canada during the 70's, but I didn't think they received any airplay in the U.S.

Some other one-hit wonders:

My Sharona - The Knack

Echo Beach - Martha & The Muffins

Come And Get Your Love - Redbone

Escape - Rupert Holmes ( I'm not sure if this is the correct song title)

Come And Get Your Love ? Redbone

That's one of my favorites. Native American Soul.

Here's one One Hit I heard accidentally the other day. It is not such a favorite, but it will be remembered for the bizarre vocal styling and pronunciation.

I Love The Nightlife by Alicia Bridges

I want to go where the people dance.

I want some Axx-Shownn (action)...

I want to live!

AXX-SHOWNN...

I got so much to give.

I want to give it.

I want to get some too.

Oh, I ...

Ohhh I ...

I love the nightlife,

I got to boogie

On the disco 'round

My list may get a little cheesey, but here are some of my favorite one hit wonders:

8675309/Jenny- Tommy Tutone (mainly coz Jenny's my girlfriend's name)

Sugar, Sugar- The Archies

Come On Eileen- Dexy's Midnight Runners

I Ran- A Flock of Seagulls

Popcorn- Hot Butter

Cars- Gary Numan

She Blinded Me With Science- Thomas Dolbi (actually I like a lot by him)

Breakfast at Tiffany's- Deep Blue Something

Yeah some of my choices are kinda lame...

I always thought the ultimate one hit wonder was "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans. :beady:

That's what I said too RJS. It was the yardstick by which all One Hit Wonders were judged.

:headphones:

We ran into trouble when this thread was active before, because many of the U.K. artists in particular had lots of other Hits in Europe. E.g. David Essex had 10 Top 10 Hits in the U.K., including the #1s "Gonna Make You A Star" and "Hold Me Close". So I suppose we should just stipulate U.S. Hits ? That OK with you Psycho (the originator of the thread)? :)

"Western Union Man - (forget the Artist)". This didn't chart in the U.S.

NZ group, Max Merritt and the Meteors,had a Hit with it in 1969, but that may have been a cover. :)