Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

I had this same list in another forum. Favorite songs, I think. I didn't realize they were one hit wonders till someone pointed it out to me.

Go All the Way - The Raspberries

Give Me Just a Little More Time - The Chairmen of the Board

Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards

Sweet City Woman - The Stampeders

Vehicle - The Ides of March

Western Union Man - (forget the Artist)

Also, I must take exception to mrs mojorisin's listing Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town" as a one hit wonder. What about Jailbreak, Whiskey in a Jar, Dancin' in the Moonlight, The Cowboy Song, etc? I'm a big fan of Thin Lizzy, and I think they never got the respect or recognition they deserved.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, you guys have listed everything I can think of except:

Fire by the very strange Arthur Brown.Remember "I AM THE

GOD OF HELLFIRE.." I heard that he really kind of thought he was- he'd dance around on stage with this hat on shooting flames out.

Boys Are Back In Town ~~~~ Thin Lizzy

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? Being one of the most underrated bands on the planet does not make one a one hit wonder - a one hit wonder by definition (IMO - not necessarily VH1's) would have to be a band/songwriter or whatever that had only the one "hit" in his arsenal and could never churn out another comparable song - a one hit wonder does not influence generations of other musicians. Thin Lizzy definitely does not fit the definition .

Oh - to get back to the original question - I think my favorite one hit wonder is Radar Love by golden earring (though technically they are 2 hit wonders) - twilight zone in the 80's - but I also love the previously mentioned Groove is in the heart and the Blind Melon song, and the not mentioned Take on Me - AHa, and You Get what you give - New Radicals - ooh and Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

:thumbsup: :beatnik: ::

Phew. I read over most of this topic, so that I'd be able to pick something that hasn't been mentioned before. It is interesting how some bands manage to be one-hit wonders in certain places and make it big in others. Personally, I wouldn't think A-Ha, Soft Cell, T. Rex, and a few others as one hit wonders, but radio programming is different in other areas of the world. It's all good :headphones:

Here are my picks for my fave one hit wonders:

"Susanna" by The Art Company

"Doot Doot" by Freur

"Never Never" by The Assembly

"The Promise" by When In Rome

"Two Occasions" by The Deele

"Would I Lie To You?" by Charles And Eddie

"I've Been Thinking About You" by Londonbeat

"Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by The Primitive Radio Gods

"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve Pipe

"Nearly Lost You" by The Screaming Trees

The Weight- The Band. At least I have never heard of any other hits by them.

Cripple Creek, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Chest Fever, Stage Fright, etc.

For more, see the The Band's "farewell" concert film "The Last Waltz" directed by Martin Scorsese.

The Weight- The Band. At least I have never heard of any other hits by them.

Granted the Band didn't have a long string of Number Ones, but you must have heard "Up On Cripple Creek", "Stage Fright", or "Chest Fever". Eh?

Sorry, I was a page behind. I didn't see the other posts, so I am now editing this one.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is my favourite one hit wonder (And one of my favourite songs ever).

It's probably too new for you oldies though :laughing:

The Goo Goo Dolls also had "Name" and "Slide," which were both bigger hits than "Iris," as far as charts are concerned.