Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawna, Shawna, Shawna, have no fear of using words of 6+ letters, I will not haul you before the "vocabulary & grammar magistrates". I like long words and wordplay and heck, in our brief time as SongFacts acquaintances, I kinda like you. I also like bugging johnnyguitar : a sentiment which appears to be reciprocated. Thing is, johnny gives the impression of being an articulate, well-educated man with a certain mellifluous charm and undoubtedly a rapier-like wit: the original "silver-tongued cavalier" in fact. But if he's going to bandy around big words like "oxymoron" when what he actually means is its opposite ,"tautology", I don't have any qualms about putting him straight. Yes, sometimes I'm pernickety over his errors, but this one was pretty "glaring" to me, in my Aspergers world. In any case, he's swift enough to address my perceived inadequacies, so , y'know...just see it as a peculiar form of playfulness...

As for your fear of meeting me in a professional context: I shouldn't worry too much about that one: geography and professional background would mitigate against it. However, I'd like to think that if we met in a non-professional context,(equally unlikely...) you'd find I'm not the asocial, challenging prospect you might imagine.

Fitter, Fitter Fitter...where do I start? :laughing:

This is 'fish in a barrel' stuff....

I shouldn't worry too much about that one: geography and professional background would mitigate against it

Well, apart from my concern that someone's petard has been hoisted (is 'mitigate against' itself not an oxymoron?) I feel you may well have meant something else entirely....

Definition of mitigate (verb)

to alleviate; to lessen; to soothe; to soften; to appease

I would probably have chosen the more apposite verb 'to militate'.

Definition of militate

have force or influence; bring about an effect or change; "Politeness militated against this opinion being expressed"

....unless, of course you meant that your geographical location has made you a softy!

And, while I'm at it...shouldn't 'Aspergers world' have a possesive apostrophe?....or am I just being picky?

:laughing: :laughing:

Little did I suspect that a devotee of the opening snarl of 'Never Mind the Bollocks' could mutate into such a pedant....from Ari Up to Lynne Truss in only a generation...how sad ;)

On the other hand....you're right, we both quite enjoy this don't we?

Now...back to the music :googly: :thumbsup:

Fitter, Fitter Fitter...where do I start? :laughing:

This is 'fish in a barrel' stuff....

Well, apart from my concern that someone's petard has been hoisted (is 'mitigate against' itself not an oxymoron?) I feel you may well have meant something else entirely....

I would probably have chosen the more apposite verb 'to militate'.

....unless, of course you meant that your geographical location has made you a softy!

And, while I'm at it...shouldn't 'Aspergers world' have a possesive apostrophe?....or am I just being picky?

Johnny, johnny, johnny.....I really don't have the faintest idea what you're on about....

Anybody else any the wiser???

You mean you've never heard of Ari Up.....or Lynne Truss? :)

Well of course I've heard of Ari Up. I was a punk-rocker, remember: she was vocalist in SLITS, (whose album "Cut" is a punky-reggae cross-over classic, factfans!). But since she had nothing to do with the "opening snarl of Never Mind The Bollocks" (apart from later becoming John Lydon's step-daughter) I'm still at a loss as to what you meant. Are "a fondness for punk-rock" and "a reasonable grasp of my own language" mutually exclusive concepts? Perhaps punks aren't allowed to be articulate??? So many non-sequiturs; your logic escapes me...

Btw...Lynn Truss' "Eats Shoots & Leaves", never read it - d'you think it would be right up my alley? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I quite liked these, but am too lazy to find out or google if they were really one-hit wonders or not :P

Some of these are off Channel 4's list

Fade into you - Mazzy Star

She's a good girl - Sleeper (The rest of the album is alright too)

Connection - Elastica

Connected - Stereo MCs

Canonball - The Breeders

Beautiful - Mandalay (I have the album and I adore it, but I don't think any of their other songs really got any airplay...)

Great Things - Echobelly (Same with them...)

One and only - Chesney Hawkes (he he he)

Because I got high - Afroman

Brimful of Asher - Cornershop (the rest of the album was rubbish!)

Centrefold - G Jeils band

Everybody's free to wear sunscreen - Baz Luhrman

Be my baby - Vanessa Paradis

Be strong now - James Iha

Rock me Amadeus - Falco

Stay - Lisa Loeb

Trouble - Shampoo (I have another song by them which is pretty good)

Your woman - White Town

You're gorgeous - Babybird

Has anyone mentioned Turning Japanese yet?

(just for blind-fitter :D )

Now I was thinking of that one too, but I remember he had another song (didn't he?) that was pretty popular?

I also had:

Kryptonite - 3 doors down

Standing outside a broken phone booth with money in my hands - Primitive radio gods

Drinking in LA - Bran Van 3000

Coco Jambo - Mr President

Mambo #5 - Lou Bega

Susan's house - The Eels

I know nothing of them except for Susan' House :)

To me they are a one-hit wonder I guess.

I think (from what I've read) a one-hit wonder band is one who has an immensely popular song and the rest of their stuff never gets high in the charts, no matter how popular they are or how many records they sell. But I could be misinformed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I quite liked these, but am too lazy to find out or google if they were really one-hit wonders or not :P

Some of these are off Channel 4's list

Connected - Stereo MCs

Canonball - The Breeders

Rock me Amadeus - Falco

- The Stereo MCs also had "Elevate My Mind" and "Step It Up". That makes three :cool:

- Falco had "Der Komissar" and to a lesser extent "Vienna Calling". That makes three :cool:

- The Breeders' "One Divine Hammer" is debatable. It most likely did not reach any charts, but its music vid got heavy rotation on MTV here in the US. That gives 'em 1 and a half ;)

Edited by Guest