Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory of early 80s UK is of a hit-parade blighted by the virtually permanent presence of Mr Young... he thrilled us all with the following... (some of which must surely have been international hits)..

Come Back and Stay (for Good This Time)

I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

Senza Una Donna (with Zucchero)

and the execrable "Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home).

Hey, you´re right...! :) Now I remember all these songs... but I didn´t know they made the charts in the UK...

You´re right again, his name is Paul, not John Paul...

And I love your signature! :laughing:

In any case, he looks just like a one-hit wonder guy... :)

blind-fitter Said:My memory of early 80s UK is of a hit-parade blighted by the virtually permanent presence of Mr Young... he thrilled us all with the following... (some of which must surely have been international hits)..

Come Back and Stay (for Good This Time)

I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

Senza Una Donna (with Zucchero)

and the execrable "Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home).

Hey, you´re right...! Now I remember all these songs... but I didn´t know they made the charts in the UK...

You´re right again, his name is Paul, not John Paul...

And I love your signature!

In any case, he looks just like a one-hit wonder guy...

Well, he's a 'local' round here...hang on, that's a bit of an oxymoron...he couldn't really be a local anywhere else...what I mean is, he's from 'round here' and he occasionally still plays at our local pub under the guise of 'the Trocaderos' or 'commanches' or something...a bit Tex Mex...'Pallaminos' ? I dunno, it will come to me...anyway, he's a good night out and his band are all top session men (Pino Palladino on bass :thumbsup: :guitar:) etc...not bad for a local pick-up band...anyeway, I was stood behind him in the local Tescos (Wallmarts for those of U.S. sensibilities) once...in the nappies (diapers) section...seemed ok (I can feel a new thread coming on here...which 'star' have you met in VERY ordinary circumstances?)...'terrible complexion' up close... is all I can remember really....I didn't have the nerve to speak to him...big bloke....what would I have said? ...'ere, Paul, dodgy cover of 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' mate...'shape up'....???? :stars: :laughing:

Edited by Guest

Fortunately I do....and now I'm listening to it and love it even more!

In my last job, I processed work orders to various contractors, and one of the electricians would come in and sing this song to me every morning..."Oh it's in color Your hair is brown

Your eyes are hazel And soft as clouds" (me = brown hair/hazel eyes)...he started singing it when he first met me...weird...

My guess is he was thinking of you at other times too....I think I'm Turning Japanese, I think I'm Turning Japanese....I really think so... :laughing: :laughing:

There's got to be another thread...'Songs of Seduction' or something...what song have you sung to someone and they never sussed what you really meant, or something like that? :laughing:

Well, he's a 'local' round here...hang on, that's a bit of an oxymoron...

I take it you mean "that's tautology", rather than "an oxymoron".

An oxymoron is a figure of speech which combines contradictory terms so as to form an expressive phrase or epithet. e.g. fresh-frozen, military intelligence, "quality-time with the kids", etc. (the opposite of what you did, in fact...)

Do you keep making these mistakes on purpose, just to keep me busy?

Do you keep making these mistakes on purpose, just to keep me busy?

In between bashing the bishop, cat torture and chip pissing I'm surprised you have the time to pick me up on my semantic shortcomings (no doubt 'shortcoming' should be hyphenated, well, it would be if it were in my own hand...so to speak)...snake belly boy :laughing: :laughing:

I'm at once too afraid to use any words larger than 6 letters for fear BF will haul me up short on my vocabulary. At the same time I'm fascinated by the words I'm learning here, and am wondering how on earth I will "key" those words on my Stenograph in court if there's ever anyone articulate enough to use these words while giving any testimony.

I will say this: I hope to never meet up with you, BF, in a professional (court) setting where you are the speaker and I'm the recorder. You will have to both spell the words for me and define them. :grin:

I'm at once too afraid to use any words larger than 6 letters for fear BF will haul me up short on my vocabulary. At the same time I'm fascinated by the words I'm learning here, and am wondering how on earth I will "key" those words on my Stenograph in court if there's ever anyone articulate enough to use these words while giving any testimony.

I will say this: I hope to never meet up with you, BF, in a professional (court) setting where you are the speaker and I'm the recorder. You will have to both spell the words for me and define them. :grin:

Shawna, Shawna, Shawna, have no fear of using words of 6+ letters, I will not haul you before the "vocabulary & grammar magistrates". I like long words and wordplay and heck, in our brief time as SongFacts acquaintances, I kinda like you. :blush: I also like bugging johnnyguitar }:| : a sentiment which appears to be reciprocated. Thing is, johnny gives the impression of being an articulate, well-educated man with a certain mellifluous charm and undoubtedly a rapier-like wit: the original "silver-tongued cavalier" in fact. But if he's going to bandy around big words like "oxymoron" when what he actually means is its opposite ,"tautology", I don't have any qualms about putting him straight. Yes, sometimes I'm pernickety over his errors, but this one was pretty "glaring" to me, in my Asperger's world. In any case, he's swift enough to address my perceived inadequacies, so , y'know...just see it as a peculiar form of playfulness... :crazy:

As for your fear of meeting me in a professional context: I shouldn't worry too much about that one: geography and professional background would render that unlikely. However, I'd like to think that if we met in a non-professional context,(equally unlikely...) you'd find I'm not the asocial, challenging prospect you might imagine. ;)

Edited by Guest