Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol...for 2 or 3 people at least.

When you get down to it..the song is disgusting.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that "Turning Japanese" is "disgusting". Maybe if you find the concept / practice of masturbation disgusting or degrading it is...

Having enjoyed a healthy on/off relationship with Madam Fist and her five lovely daughters over the years, I think it's quite amusing that the song has scored such a big hit, and surreptitiously slipped the subject into the world-nation's subconscious. Fair play to The Vapors: they are virtually legendary through getting the general public singing along to a song about choking the chicken. Not many can make that claim.

Mind you, the title itself is pretty close to the bone (ahem!) and potentially offensive, though most remain blissfully unaware of its racist connotations.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that "Turning Japanese" is "disgusting". Maybe if you find the concept / practice of masturbation disgusting or degrading it is...

Having enjoyed a healthy on/off relationship with Madam Fist and her five lovely daughters over the years, I think it's quite amusing that the song has scored such a big hit, and surreptitiously slipped the subject into the world-nation's subconscious. Fair play to The Vapors: they are virtually legendary through getting the general public singing along to a song about choking the chicken. Not many can make that claim.

Mind you, the title itself is pretty close to the bone (ahem!) and potentially offensive, though most remain blissfully unaware of its racist connotations.

:laughing: :laughing: :bow: :bow:

That was awesome!

I'm with you on this BF...apart from having seen The Vapours several times (and they were jolly good live)and also once directing them to the correct venue when they were lost (a car pulled up next to me and a bloke leaned out and said 'we're the Vipers...where's the gig?...you'd have to know 'Cockney' (although they were from Guildford) to know that 'Vipers' meant Vapours...try saying it,I think they were 'getting down with the kids' a bit with their faux Sarf London accents) but, anyhooo...they were darned good...and any paen to the joys of the 5 knuckle shuffle that gets into the charts is ok by me....let's face it, we've all done it, so why not sing abart it... :)

B-F and JG I don't think much of your posts at all.

WHY are you so certain it's about masturbation ?

And this is supposed to be a music forum, not one of those "true confessions" "spill all" sex tabloids which some of you English seem so fond of.

You're both fairly new here and sometimes I think you just try to stir things up. I'm no saint (that's for sure) but it's embarrassing to see a couple of grown men talking like schoolkids.

Jr - come back and be a Moderator again please !

:thumbsdown:

Also, this thread has been used a lot of times already. (It's worth reviving though Psycho). My nomination for the Best One Hit Wonder of all time was, and still is, "In The Year 2525" , a worldwide #1 for Zager and Evans in 1969.

ooooh, get you! (pout and then turn, mince, mince, mince, flout)

Aussies tend to be the greatest exponents of the solitary arts...what with being all...solitary 'nall...Whilst I may have had my run ins with BF over the last few weeks I'd choose him over a BOF Fudpucker Kangamanga any day.....JMHO (and very sorry if I've offended anyone important..but hey, what's he on about?) ;)

Escape - Rupert Holmes ( I'm not sure if this is the correct song title)

Rupert Holmes also had at least two more hits - "Him" and "Answering Machine" - from the same album (Partners In Crime) as "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)".

However, earlier in his career Holmes did write a song that became someone else's one-hit wonder, namely the infamous cannibalism ballad "Timothy" by the Buoys.

WHY are you so certain it's about masturbation ?

And this is supposed to be a music forum, not one of those "true confessions" "spill all" sex tabloids which some of you English seem so fond of.

You're both fairly new here and sometimes I think you just try to stir things up. I'm no saint (that's for sure) but it's embarrassing to see a couple of grown men talking like schoolkids.

Jr - come back and be a Moderator again please !

:thumbsdown:

Also, this thread has been used a lot of times already. (It's worth reviving though Psycho). My nomination for the Best One Hit Wonder of all time was, and still is, "In The Year 2525" , a worldwide #1 for Zager and Evans in 1969.

Isn't this the original post of one hit wonders...im not complaining, but i know there have been alot since mine.

I think one is able to 'develop a theme' rather than just compile lists of one hit wonders. There are lists all over the place already....surely the joy of Songfacts is to be able to explore the phenomenon further, how come they were one hitters? was it a sociological phenomenon or just 'cos they couldn't write anymore good tunes? etc. etc.....anyone can write a list.

JMHO ;)

ooooh, get you! (pout and then turn, mince, mince, mince, flout)

Aussies tend to be the greatest exponents of the solitary arts...what with being all...solitary 'nall...Whilst I may have had my run ins with BF over the last few weeks I'd choose him over a BOF Fudpucker Kangamanga any day.....JMHO (and very sorry if I've offended anyone important..but hey, what's he on about?) ;)

"Aussies tend to be the greatest exponents of the solitary arts...what with being all...solitary 'nall..."

Right, you knowing so much about Australians and all }:(