Your favourite one hit wonders

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it was a sick love story...bad southern song kinda..he longs for cows while hes on a pig farm!

"Here on my hog farm...doin them no harm...all of these pigs covered in soil!

Writin a one hit...covered in pig ****...wanna buy a big barbecue!"

Hatin the way i am here in Little Piggysville ...Lookin for a pan so i can fry up a dog! Wantin some pork or maybe even some ham, but i know...im longin for a cow!"

Do that to the tune of Margaritaville! Its terrible cause i just wrote it. But, ah well, this is why im not covered with beautiful women and millions of dollars. Im not a songwriter.

I guess it was a sick love story...bad southern song kinda..he longs for cows while hes on a pig farm!

Hatin the way i am here in Little Piggysville ...Lookin for a pan so i can fry up a dog! Wantin some pork or maybe even some ham, but i know...im longin for a cow!"

Do that to the tune of Margaritaville! Its terrible cause i just wrote it. But, ah well, this is why im not covered with beautiful women and millions of dollars. Im not a songwriter.

Psycho, don't be so hard on yourself. Ok ,so it's not the polished article, but it has potential.

I meant to say a while back: Bo Bice shoulda won American Idol. We here in Yorkshire were really rooting for him. That was a serious injustice there.

Bo Bice shoulda won American Idol. We here in Yorkshire were really rooting for him. That was a serious injustice there.

I disagree. Bo Bice himself said that he's glad he didn't win. There's a sort of stigma attached to being American Idol, and he wants to be a rock and roll singer, not an idol. That man is so talented that he was bound to be successful no matter if he won or not, but I read an interview with him (and I feel the same way) that he's glad he didn't win, because now he's free to do what he wants and not under the thumb of corporate Idol people. It all happened the way it should have. :grin:

For heaven's sake, people. I only mentioned,when I noticed psychocatholic's location as "Bo Bice Town", that Bo was the best contestant, and hinted that on that basis he shoulda won it.

Truth is "American Idol" is pretty small viewing in the UK. When I said, "We in Yorkshire were rooting for him" I meant "me and my wife were...etc". NOBODY REALLY CARED THAT MUCH

'Twas a mere pleasantry, in passing. Never expected anybody to get so precious about it. :doh:

As to change the subject back and release tension...i shall post it again....

Do that to the tune of Margaritaville! Its terrible cause i just wrote it. But, ah well, this is why im not covered with beautiful women and millions of dollars. Im not a songwriter

what do you guys think?

Edited by Guest

Oh and thanks for the ego booster! Im a fan of Buffet, awesome!

with me and Sammy hollerin' at each other, I almost lost this post you made... my brother-in-law is a HUGE Buffet fan. Parrot head Extraordinaire. Has been since he was a wee shaver. HOWEVER... Roger has now taken over that place in his heart that Jimmy used to hold so securely. And I mention this because, where one Buffet fan loves Roger that much, perhaps another Buffet fan (you) might enjoy Roger's music as well. Give it a try... you'll be happy you did.

Note to RCPM: PUT ME ON THE PR PAYROLL, FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Years ago (late 60s or early 70s) a teenage singer/songwriter phenom named Janis Ian had a megahit single with "At 17." She was introduced through an album of her songs that featured this hit single. The press dubbed her the female Bob Dylan. (It was a great song.) Does anyone know if she had another hit recording? How about if any of her compositions were a hit for some other musician(s)?

All I know is many of her fans sent her Valentines every year since she had a hit with her song, "At 17". I read it somewhere, maybe someone posted it here?

No, I found it on some trivia page on the web and it´s not like I said before:

On February 14th, 1977, singer / songwriter Janis Ian received 461 Valentine's day cards after indicating in the lyrics of her 1975, number 3 hit "At Seventeen", she had never received any. (The valentines I never knew, The Friday night charades of youth, Were spent on one more beautiful, At seventeen I learned the truth)

Edited by Guest

Janis Ian´s first hit was "Society´s Child", which she wrote at age 15. Here are the lyrics:

Come to my door, baby,

face is clean and shining black as night.

My mother went to answer, you know,

and you looked so fine.

Now I can understand your tears and your shame.

She called you "boy" instead of your name.

When she wouldn't let you inside.

When she turned and said

"But honey, he's not our kind."

She said I can't see you any more, baby.

Can't see you anymore.

Walk me down to school, baby.

Everybody's acting deaf and blind.

Until they turn and say

why don't you stick to your own kind.

(Not sure about the rest of this verse. It sounds to me like)

My teachers all laugh, they smirk and stare.

Cutting deep down in our affair.

Preachers of equality. They say "Believe us"

but why won't they just let us be?

They say I can't see you anymore, baby.

Can't see you anymore.

One of these days I'm gonna stop my listening,

Gonna raise my head up high.

One of these days I'm gonna raise my glistening wings and fly.

But that day will have to wait for awhile.

Baby, I'm only society's child.

When we're older things may change.

But for now this is the way they must remain.

I say I can't see you any more, baby.

Can't see you anymore.

No, I don't wanna see you any more, baby

´Here´s some more Janis Ian´s information extracted from Wikipedia:

Janis Ian (born April 7, 1951) is a Grammy-winning American songwriter, singer and multi-instrumental musician. Born Janis Eddy Fink in a Bronx hospital (she was raised in New Jersey), she changed her name while still a child. She had a successful singing career in the 1960s and 1970s. She wrote and sang her first hit single at age 15, the song "Society's Child", which told the story of an interracial romance forbidden by the narrator's parents. The song's lyrical content was too taboo for some radio stations which banned it, but that didn't stop it from becoming a hit, reaching #14 on the Billboard Hot 100. She also legally emancipated herself from her parents at age 15. Her most successful single was "At Seventeen", released in 1975, a bittersweet commentary on adolescent cruelty and teenage angst, as reflected upon from the maturity of adulthood. "At Seventeen" received acclaim from record buyers - it charted at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart - and critics, as it won the 1975 Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, beating out the likes of Olivia Newton-John and Helen Reddy. Its parent album, "Between the Lines," also hit #1. She has also managed a sustained career as a songwriter - her composition "Jesse" was a hit for Roberta Flack in 1973 (Ian's own version is on her 1974 album "Stars").

She is an outspoken critic of the RIAA, a record industry organization which she sees as acting against the interests of musicians and consumers. As such, she has willingly released several of her songs, including the popular "Walking in the Rain," for free download from her website (see below for a link).

"Fly Too High" (1980) was her contribution to the soundtrack of the Jodie Foster film Foxes. It earned her a Grammy nomination.

One country where Ian has achieved a surprising level of popularity is Japan. She had two top 10 singles on the Japanese pop charts, "Love Is Blind" in 1976 and "You Are Love" in 1980, and her album "Aftertones" was a #1 best-seller there in October 1976.

Besides being an award winning singer/songwriter, Ian writes science fiction. Her works have been published in an assortment of anthologies and she is co-editor, with Mike Resnick, of Stars: original stories based on the songs of Janis Ian, published in 2003.

Ian married her long-time domestic partner, Patricia Snyder, on August 27, 2003.

Discography:

* Billie's Bones (2004)

* Janis Ian Live: Working Without a Net (2003)

* god & the fbi (2000)

* Hunger (1997)

* Revenge (1995)

* Breaking Silence (1993)

* Uncle Wonderful (1983)

* Restless Eyes (1981)

* Night Rains (1979)

* Janis Ian (1978)

* Miracle Row (1977)

* Aftertones (1976)

* Between The Lines (1975)

* Stars (1974)

* Present Company (1971)

* Who Really Cares (1969)

* The Secret Life of J. Eddy Fink (1968)

* For All the Seasons of Your Mind (1968)

* Janis Ian (1967)

Edited by Guest