Celtic Music

InsaneTim

hi!

i'm from ireland so i kow a little about irish traditional music. my grandfather was an outstanding fiddler and melodeon player from donegal who played with many of the greats. at the moment i'm actually transcribing tapes he made about his life and his stories are amazing. he made his first fiddleout of a soap box! he was involved in the traditional irish music scene in belfast, london and cork at various times. i don't really listen to any recorded artists but like to go to a trad session now and then, especially if there's setdancing on. how did you become interested and where did you learn? it's great to hear the tradition is living on!

I've been playing for about 5-6 years. I've been into Irish music all my life because my parents went to an Altan concert not long after I was born and got hooked. In fourth grade a group of people came to my school offering to teach instruments, and since I was in a classical music phase, I choose the violin. I loved the instrument, but got bored with the music, so I went back to my Irish roots. Now it has become a huge part of my life. It's incredibly fun, and it always gives me the feeling that I'm going back into ancient history, or I'm on the boat however many generations back my family immigrated to America.

I love Celtic music. The genre encompasses such a wide range of styles. I tend to like the ethereal, mournful tunes more than the jigs and reels. Some of my favourite artists are Capercaillie, Clannad, Moira Kerr, The Rankin Family, Loreena McKennit, Deanta and Connie Dover.