Covers done better than the originals

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even Dylan will admit that Hendrix' cover of "All Along The Watchtower" is better than the original. Aretha Franklin did an amazing job with Otis Redding's "Respect." I'm a big fan of The Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade Of Winter" by Simon And Garfunkel.

The Black Crowes '90 version of Otis Redding's Hard to Handle really rocks but is very sleek and smooth compared to the earthy, grittier, rougher edged original. I like both versions.

This one isn't classic rock - Little Willie John '56 original blues version of Fever was clearly overshadowed by Peggy Lee's '58 version. She even added more verses.

I'm a big fan of The Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade Of Winter" by Simon And Garfunkel.

Bodyjar took the Bangles arrangement of it and rocked the absolute hell out of it - it is awesome and should be checked out. Their version of "Next To You" by the Police is pretty awesome too. Their version of TMBG's "Your Racist Friend" is inferior to the original though...

I really like Metallica's version of "Turn The Page" originally by Bob Seger. It's a lot more powerful than the original which is more bluesy. Also Metallica's version of "Tuesday's Gone" by Lynyrd Skynyrd is pretty good. (The album Garage Inc is full of good covers).

I love the Rolling Stones, but I really think Guns n' Roses version of "Sympathy For The Devil" is better than the original.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gotta get this one off my chest, recently downloaded what I thought was going to be a better quality MP3 of "Poison" by Alice Cooper, got to listening to it and it was some awful trance remix with a female voice, gotta say I was horrified and deleted it withing the first 30 seconds...lol

Even though I am a big fan of Black Sabbath :bow:, I think Primus' cover of N.I.B. is better than the original. Ozzy sings on both versions, but Les Claypool is just one of the best bassist. :rockon:

I also like the Ugly Kid Joe version of this song, it's on a CD I have called "Nativity in Black:Tribute to Black Sabbath" Other choice covers include Megadeth's rendition of Paranoid, White Zombie - Children of the Grave, 1,000 Homo DJs (featuring Ministry frontman Al Jourgeson(sp?) - Supernaut, Bullring Brummies (Rob Halford's side band) - The Wizard, Godspeed (Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickenson's side band), & Faith No More - War Pigs.

Another band who's done some excellent classic rock covers is Guns N' Roses, including

• Mama Kin (Aerosmith)
  • Nice Boys (Rose Tattoo)
  • Live & Let Die (Wings)
  • Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan)
  • Hair of the Dog (Nazareth)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Rolling Stones)
  • Since I Don't Have You (Simon & Garfunkel / Skyliners)
  • Human Being (New York Dolls)
  • Buick McKane (T.Rex)
  • Big Dumb Sex (Soundgarden)

On a related note, G n'R has had their Appetite for Destruction album covered numerous times:

• Welcome to the Jungle (Quiet Riot, Goldfinger)
  • It's So Easy (Manic Street Preachers)
  • NightTrain (Jumping Bomb Angel)
  • Mr. Brownstone (Tenacious D)
  • Paradise City (Pat Boone, Hole)
  • My Michelle (AFI)
  • Sweet Child O' Mine (Sheryl Crow, Linkin Park)
  • Rocket Queen (John Corabi)
  • Patience (John Mayer)

Paul Weller (Jam, Style Council) has just released a cd of covers. And they are very good... I only heardsome, but he sings "Close to you" among others, and I´d love to hear him singing Burt bacharach...

J.J.Cale has also a new album... this time, as usual, he makes no covers, but soon big ones will cover more of his work, sure. There are so many versions of his songs, starting with Eric Clapton (Cocaine, After Midnight...)