Rules of Rock

Batman

On another forum in a galaxy far far away (digitaldreamdoor.com), someone started a topic called "What Every Rocker Should Know." I got really excited and started posting a bunch of advice instead of things people should know. I thought it was an interesting idea for a thread though, and decided to put it, and my post here. So just post advice for fans and musicians

1. Don't pretend to like something just because everyone else likes it

2. Don't pretend to like something just because nobody else likes it

3. If you are going to cover a song, don't make it sound the exact same. I would much rather hear a heavy metal band covering a soul song than a heavy metal band covering a heavy metal song, or a soul band covering a soul song.

4. Be open-minded towards new music. For instance, if say you hate hair metal, and you hear a song you like, but then find out it's by a hair metal band, don't just hate that song. But if you don't like hair metal, you don't need to go out and try to buy hair metal CDs so you can try to like it.

5. Don't let a bands image affect what you think of their music

6. Don't let a bands age affect what you think of their music

7. Eat your veggies

8. If you are in a band, don't limit yourself to one genre. However, if you do attempt other genres and suck at it, you don't have to keep trying

9. This rule is broken a lot at my school's talent show. If you are in a band, warning the audience that you suck, or saying "we only practiced for like, an hour" doesn't improve the quality of the music

10. Don't take your band too seriously

11. While you will get big cheers for playing a cover of a popular song, playing all covers gets boring for the audience

12. More advice for music fans: remember that when an artist dies and still has a lot of unreleased recordings, there's usually a reason those songs are unreleased

13. Sometimes you will like a band for no reason, you just know you like it. Don't let that stop you from listening to it.

Basically, the bottom line for musicians is to be creative, and the bottom line for fans is you don't really have to do anything. Like what you like and dislike what you dislike.

• 2 months later...

You've got to be kidding. ::

The Bass and drums are the backbone of the band. Without them, a guitar solo would be bland, no matter how tasty it was.

Like an oreo without the filling or a slice of bread without the nutella or a peanut butter cup without the peanut butter.

I love the guitar and I played it for years when I was in high school. I always counted on my fellow members to give me the rhythm that helped make my solos take off and soar and stand out in the crowd.

I never noticed this before I was a player. I would listen to songs and never even payed much attention to the background when a solo was playing.

Now I often find myself tuning out the solo and listening to the bass line and drum and rhythm guitar parts to hear what I hadn't before, which was a solid background rhythm to supplement and enhance the solo. :thumbsup:

Brad is right. Guitar solos are usually incredibly lame without bass and drums. One exception is "Cradle Rock" by Rory Gallagher. Heartbreaker is not, I'm sorry, but that solo is boring. Acoustic guitar, however, can be played by itself, if it's played well.

Laurie,

It's that pic that you sent me a while ago, only I edited it on the computer by adding the guitar. =:P

Don't worry, I still have the original but it's becoming faded from all the handling it gets. :(

Can you send me a new one? :googly:

You obviously don't play (Said in a dreamy kind of way).

Rock n' Roll is guitar based, and guitar is the main instruent. Count how many drum solos and bass solos put together compared to guitar solos.

Who draws the crowd?

Who plays so loud?

Baby it's the guitar man

Who's gonna steal the show

You know baby it's the guitar man

:guitar:

Looking back, the idea of having a "Rules of Rock" thread makes me sick. I hate the critics who feel that rock has to sound a certain way, and musicians have to have the same image, or something like that. These are the critics that don't like Queen.

Looking back, the idea of having a "Rules of Rock" thread makes me sick. I hate the critics who feel that rock has to sound a certain way, and musicians have to have the same image, or something like that. These are the critics that don't like Queen.

It's the guys that break the rules that we ultimately look back on and go "Holy ___ these guys were the ____in bomb!!!!!!" at least I say that, some other s-facters might be a little more poetic.