Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

i think they are overrated because they are constantly hailed as one of the best bands ever, while their music os not that amazing. for example, here in the uk, there was a show called "uk music hall of fame" , where the public voted bands/singers from each decade into the hall of fame. in addition to that, they had chosen bands/singers that would be indicted in the hall of fame without voting because of how good/influential they were. the latter were elvis, the beatles, bob marley and u2. in my humble opinion, u2 are nowhere near being as influential/good as any of the former.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't compare U2 to Elvis, The Beatles, or Bob Marley. Can you compare The Kinks to Pearl Jam? Separate times, different styles of music. I will dare you to name a band with a better repertoire of songs from the '80s:

Bad

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

With or Without You

Pride (In the Name of Love)

New Year's Day

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Where the Streets Have No Name

I Will Follow

Desire

In addition to their '90s and '00s songs:

She Moves In Mysterious Ways

Sweetest Thing

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Even Better Than the Real Thing

One

Beautiful Day

All Because of You

Vertigo

• 6 months later...

I hate U2. Much of it can be summed up here:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

Straight from the article:

This quote epitomizes U2's pious, holier-than-thou attitude:

"I don't know why, but we always had this belief that there was something sacred about our music, that it was almost holy."

-Bono, pompous ******* and lead singer of U2

And another thing.....Green Day. Green Day has become Good Charlotte. It's horrible. I really like Dookie and other assorted songs from their earlier albums, but they were getting worse and worse until American Idiot. Than the **** hit the fan.

Green Day is nothing but pop crap that gets soaked up by teenagers trying to be cool by listening to rebellious political music. Of course these kids have no idea that Green Day doesn't know what they're talking about nor do they know what Green Day is attempting to talk about. I'm a liberal (mostly) so don't say I'm just some angry conservative that hates anti-Bush music.

OH COME ON!

Led Zepplin=Commercial

Trying to ride of the coat tails of the genre GOOD artists had established.

My 2 cents.

With due respect, and I'll have to stretch every sinew not to sound patronising here, you were born in what, 1990, yet you are having a poke at Led Zeppelin on the grounds that they are "commercial". Since they came around some 20 years before you were born, I wonder how you are in a position to make such a lofty judgement. Are you able to put things into their historical context ,or do you prefer to just parrot some rubbish that somebody else told you? I mean they may seem fairly commercial now, but were they at the time? (I think not, but I was but a toddler at the time) And, even if they were commercial, which is debatable, So What?

"Your 2 Cents" are worth much less than that, because your "opinion" is half-formed, ill-informed and you make no effort to sustain it with any valid evidence.

Recently, I had to swat some nincompoop youth, who told me "you can't call yourself a punk and like the Sex Pistols, because they're just corporate punk". I'm not going into all that again, but this is a similar situation. It's worth getting yourself some education, before venturing your opinion, otherwise you just end up looking STOOPID. (We've all done it)

P.S. I've no axe to grind for Led Zep; they don't mean diddly squat to me.

Well I know overrated doesn't mean that they suck or the music is bad but I don't think these should be on.

Boston - Maybe I am just ignorant but I have never seen many people praise Boston. I do like Boston alot people I don't really hear people say how great they are.

Kiss - I don't think Kiss is overrated.

Aerosmith - I do like Aerosmith alot. But again I don't really see any hardcore Aerosmith fans. Or people praising them.

Led Zeppelin - Only thing that is wrong with Zeppelin is that when some 12 year old kid hears Stairway to Heaven once and says they are the best song ever. THat is the only time I think they are overrated in situations like that where it is just some dumbass saying that after hearing one song. It is like a person heard The Wall and saying that Pink Floyd kicks ass.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - I don't really think Lynyrd Skynyrd is overrated. Unless you are talking to a redneck who says they love it just because they heard Free Bird or Sweet Home Alabama.

AC/DC - When I was younger and didn't know anything I seen alot of people with AC/DC bumper stickers. But recently I haven't heard anybody really talking about them now. I think they were overrated before but not anymore. Although Thunderstuck is a great song and one of the only great rock songs from the 90's that I know of. I think it is overrated still.

Beach Boys - Alot of people say they are great but I do think they live up to the expectations that I have heard from people.

The Rolling Stones are not overrated. They are one of the best rock bands of all time but I hate when someone hears one of their songs or doesn't even heard their songs and just hears they are great and tells everybody how great they are without even knowing any of their songs.

I am not critising anyones opinion or statement just saying whats on my mind and sorry if people get offended.

"Stairway To Heaven" is one of the greatest songs ever. It's not necessarily the fault of the song that it gets played so much, or has become iconic.

It's perfectly fine to hear "The Wall" and say that "Pink Floyd kicks ass". Are you supposed to absorb the entire catalog before stating an opinion? Though that may be ideal it's not typically possible.

There was a time when "commercial" didn't mean a band wasn't talented. It's more a reflection of the collective tastes of the audience. That doesn't mean that there wasn't still crap in the 50's, 60's and 70's - there most certainly was. But talent was given a little more breathing room, as usually is the case when something (i.e., rock and roll) is fairly new.

Overexposure isn't a trait of only crappy music.

And another thing.....Green Day. Green Day has become Good Charlotte. It's horrible. I really like Dookie and other assorted songs from their earlier albums, but they were getting worse and worse until American Idiot. Than the **** hit the fan.

Green Day is nothing but pop crap that gets soaked up by teenagers trying to be cool by listening to rebellious political music. Of course these kids have no idea that Green Day doesn't know what they're talking about nor do they know what Green Day is attempting to talk about. I'm a liberal (mostly) so don't say I'm just some angry conservative that hates anti-Bush music.

i don't see what's so wrong with greenday. so they produced a good album that made them popular again, what's so wrong with that? and how do you know that greenday don't know what they are talking about? did anyone else speak up against bush and all of what has been going on recently?

i don't see what's so wrong with greenday. so they produced a good album that made them popular again, what's so wrong with that? and how do you know that greenday don't know what they are talking about? did anyone else speak up against bush and all of what has been going on recently?

First of all, I'd hardly call that album good. Holiday is a pretty good song, but apart from that, it's just pop music.

Secondly, people have been speaking up against Bush. Those people are educated members of the media and government (well, not really the government). They actually have a clue and present themselves as intelligent people. Green Day's most brilliant argument is that Republicans are redneck warhawks.

Thanks Green Day, you've made a generation of your listeners American Idiots by spewing your misguided politics into their brains.

English band...inexplicably well regarded in the U.S. of A....I'll speak up against them....they were shite. And I'm not convinced by the 'lavender marriage' of the singer...whossisname?.. to whoojit? (the bird from thingummy ska band) :)

i'm confused, was that a response against greenday? english band? since when?