Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most political lyrics aren't very intelligent, because it's very hard to fit an intelligent argument into a 3-5 minute song, and make it ryhme while your at it.

Television, the drug of the nation

Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

T.V. is the stomping ground

for political candidates

where bears in the woods

are chased by grecian formula'd bald eagles

T.V. is mechanized politic's

remote control over the masses

co-sponsored by enironmentally safe gases

watch for the PBS special

it's the perpetuation of the two-party system

where image takes precedence over wisdom

where sound bite politics are served

to the fastfood culture

where straight teeth in your mouth

are more important than the words

that come out of it

race baiting is the way to get elected

Willie Horton or will he not get elected on...

Edited by Guest

Much as I hate to find myself leaping to the support of johnnyguitar, his point appeared to be that it is indeed possible to posit intelligent social commentary in the context of a 4 minute song. To be fair,(and leaving aside that the track clocks in at 6 mins +), he only quoted half the lyric, which continues in a similarly incisive, articulate and astutely observant vein. The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy's album "Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury" is crammed full of similarly intelligent political comment, insight and wit; not uniquely directed at "easy targets" either. It also has the advantage of being musically inventive.

In a thread full of "the over-rated", The Disposable Heroes are a band who have been distinctly under-rated , in my humble opinion.

If I were drunk and with you right now (neither of which I am) I would undoubtedly have my arm around you, my head on your shoulder and be blubbing....'I love you BF....you're my best mate...have I ever told you that? ....best mate...I love you...you're the best' etc etc.

As I'm not drunk and not there you'll have to make do with wub wub swoon...and :laughing:

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm another one checking this thread late and agree with an awful lot of the choices. When I saw the thread title I was getting ready to put on a flame retardant suit and throw some of my choices in. First of all Ron Jon is right on the money regarding the Beatles and it's hard for me to understand how anyone could dismiss the impact of their music. A lot's already been posted about that so time to move on.

I really agree with some of the bands listed like Greenday, Nirvana, Nickelback,Lynnrd Skynnrd, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's difficult for me to post this one because I DO like this band. I think the Grateful Dead is a way overrated band. Yes, they had some neat tunes and kind of a unique blend of folky/rock/blues influences. They did provide a soundtrack to the 60's psychedelic era. The fact that they kept it going for so long is a testament to longevity. However, I think over the years the "hype" of being into the Dead and the associated scene overtook the actual significance of the band. Frankly some of the long meandering jams are pretty boring. Without some chemical fortification I find that stuff to be pretty unmusical and I haven't done that in over twenty years. Are they rock icons? Absolutely, but overrated musically.

I agree with you on the Dead. They're very very overrated.

But Zeppelin? The most important rock group not named the Beatles? You grouped them with a bunch of decent-to-very-good acts (actually Nickelback sucks). Zep is not in that league at all. When it comes to hard rock, there is Zeppelin and there is everyone else, doing their own Zep impressions and being pretty mediocre at it.

I'm not, a prog-rock robot, but I'm also not a classic-rock robot. You know, one of those guys who goes along with whatever is considered "Great" by the general population? One of those guys who loves anything that's catchy and made in the 60's or 70's, but can't stand anything made from the 80's or 00's (but thinks the 90's are OK). I'm not one of those robots. Especially not a prog robot. I love prog for it's complexities, but I like my fair share of punk (it's polar opposite) as well. In fact The Dead Kennedys and the Buzzcocks are two of my favorite bands, as well as King Crimson and Yes.

I'm not, a prog-rock robot, but I'm also not a classic-rock robot. You know, one of those guys who goes along with whatever is considered "Great" by the general population? One of those guys who loves anything that's catchy and made in the 60's or 70's, but can't stand anything made from the 80's or 00's (but thinks the 90's are OK). I'm not one of those robots. Especially not a prog robot. I love prog for it's complexities, but I like my fair share of punk (it's polar opposite) as well. In fact The Dead Kennedys and the Buzzcocks are two of my favorite bands, as well as King Crimson and Yes.

the 90's aren't OK....