Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add Sex Pistols to the list of overrated bands. Although I do admire them for breaking up because they were getting too popular.

Not sure that was the main reason the Pistols split, but I won't argue. Just wanted to say that if you genuinely feel the Sex Pistols were /are highly over-rated, fair-do, you're entitled to go ahead and say so. No skin off my nose.

(Like your signature, btw. Is it a new one?)

But anyways, while I'm here and we're talking "over-rated", TRY THIS FOR SIZE....

MEATLOAF?

I didn't get it when I was fifteen, and I still don't get it now.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edited by Guest

Maybe this explains alot :) So, no Paradise by the Dashboard Light for you then?

Ooooh.. you're so razor-sharp!

D'you know what? I went out to my "local" on Saturday night for "a quiet pint". For some reason they'd got a DJ in. Within minutes, said DJ "treated us" to, in succession (and over-loud): Bryan Adams "Summer of 69", Queen "We Will Rock You" and Meatloaf "Paradise By the Dashboard Light". 'Twas like I'd died and woken up in Hell...

Needless to say, we supped up quickly and moved on.

Coldplay - particularly their current offerings. Chris Martin is trying the 'less is more' route with his lyrics backed by a 'lighter in the air bring back Simple Minds' stadium feel. It falls flat IMO. Then again, anything requiring one to hoist a lighter with thousands of like-minded souls shouting for over-produced, overplayed Virgin Radio tunes, puts me right off....

Freebird! Freebird!

Regards

What a very interesting and taste revealing thread this is! Of course since it is a matter of opinion, everyone's comments were exactly correct! Just goes to show what a diverse cross-section of musicality is represented by the visitors to this great site.

I might add, how amusingly refreshing (if not immediately rational) to see the following posers get their comeuppances:

The Beatles

The Beach Boys

The Grateful Dead

Frank Zappa

Paul Simon

Led Zeppelin

U2

Jimi Hendrix

Not a good musician in the bunch!

• 4 weeks later...

greenday - a bunch of 35 year old stoners who think they know more about the US foreign policy than anyone else

No. Green Day are a bunch of ageing punk-rockers. Their musical heritage demands that they write the odd song about how sh!t governments are, criticise foreign policy, etc.

What they do, they do pretty well.

You just don't happen to like them.

No. Green Day are a bunch of ageing punk-rockers. Their musical heritage demands that they write the odd song about how sh!t governments are, criticise foreign policy, etc.

What they do, they do pretty well.

You just don't happen to like them.

It would have more of an impact if they sounded like intelligent people whose opinions mean something. I'm mostly a liberal, but who is impressed by some jackass singing about the "redneck agenda" and yada yada yada. His political analysis is at best sophmoric and at worst, silly.