Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in a big city in South America, we had no beach (you had to drive south 400 km to enjoy the beautiful Atlantic beach...) and I did like The Beach Boys very much. I don´t think you need to be a surfer to like them... or understand them.

Sammy, you said Keith? I only know one Keith... are there any others?

The Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa. Both have legions of diehard fans, and Zappa is considered a musical genious by many who should know, but I can't even name a single song by either that I like. I always feel like I'm not ' in on the joke ' with these two.

I've listened to both as well ( had a roomate in college who drove me nuts with Zappa albums) , and there is the odd tune which is ok ( don't ask me for names though) -- but what I was getting at is that both are, in my mind, BIG names in rock that I think are WAY out of proportion to their musical contributions.

Yes, I especially feel that way about Zappa. What's all the fuss about? He's one of those "weird for the sake of weird" guys. The bass player for my parents band loves him, because he loves weird things that are only weird for shock value. He likes The Wall for the wrong reasons.

That's what I suspected as well, Roger, weird for weird's sake -- and occasionally a parody or two of music/ society. However, I find even Wierd Al Yankovic's tunes more enjoyable than Zappa's.

The Grateful Dead , as far as I can tell, are/were a local S.F. band that was latched onto by hippies who saw something more in them (not musically) than even they themselves were aware of. Then they become a kind of cult as others got into it too.

IMO Frank Zappa is anything but overrated. First of all, he's unclassifiable. Not because he played one particular, hard-to-define style, but rather because there wasn't a single style he couldn't do. Rock, jazz, classical, funk, metal, bluegrass, etc. were all represented at one point or another during Zappa's career of 50+ studio albums. And don't fall for the fatal "jack of all trades, master of none" load of horses**t - not only could Zappa sufficiently play any style of music, but he often did it better than those artists who played them full time. Zappa was also one of the most accomplished artists to ever wield a six-string, constantly looking for new innovations and other means of making music that was as unconventional as possible. And Frank Zappa was not only a genius in the studio or on stage, but the man had a way with words which was initially evidenced by the biting social commentary of his lyrics, only to carry over into his passionate bout against Tipper Gore and her music censorship initiative. He never sold out as he got older, as Pete Townshend and others did; he stayed sharp and pissed-off until his untimely death. There were so many sides to this man's genius, from composer to businessman to guitarist and social commentator. Frank Zappa was one of those incredibly special and original people that only come along every 100 years or so. His musical achievements alone make him one of the 20th centuries greatest human beings. Unbelievable. Brilliant.

Well said, Nobody home, as I've been expecting someone to chime in--Deja vu all over again. I still don't get his popularity, however. Prince , too, is acclaimed as being able to play any instrument, play any form of music, etc. and while I can see some of that, I don't see Zappa's talent in the same way. Vocally, he just ...well... sucks !!

Zappa was definitely a great musician, and although his music can, at times, be silly or even laughable, I cannot put him into the "overrated" category. Zappa always had more of a cult following, and was never really accepted fully as a mainstream pop/rock artist.

No, his vocals aren't the greatest in the world, but he preferred it like that. He could've hired a singer, but then it wouldn't have been "Frank Zappa", would it? Nugent tried that, and look what happened there. After a couple albums, that other dude wanted the band named after him, or something like that. So Nugent took over singing duties.

Zappa also used a lot of "profane" words in his songs, and most of his music was done for laughs. I can't say he's overrated, because there's really not that many people who are totally into his music. I like his stuff to a point, but even Zappa's biggest fans will say that his music is based more on comedy, and that he went more for the laughs than for the recognition as a great rocker.

ZAPPA RULES!! As you were, eb'rybody.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon:

1. Good Charlotte isn't overrated, they just suck. Actually all those pop-punk guys really suck.

2. I don't know much about Frank Zappa, but you can't use "he can't sing" as a reason for him being not good because Bob Dylan couldn't carry a tune either.

I'd have to say that any band that has become a social icon has become too big.

Here's my list:

Boston (how many ways can you play the same song?)

U2 (please lighten up, Bono)

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Neil was right)

Nirvana (death does not equal martyrdom)

Beatles (bigger than Jesus? you lost me right then)

Oasis (think Beatles)

Limp Bizkit (huh?)

Led Zeppelin (I haven't been 15 for a long time)

Enjoy!

I must agree with your statement about Nirvana. I believe that people are afraid to say what they think about Nirvana because Kurt killed himself. I like them, but for God's Sake, they're not a "Legend" like many people call them. They weren't near as popular until Kurt Cobain *cough* manic depression *cough* killed himself.

For those of you who disagree, this should cheer you up:

:happybanana:

Only Cobain didn't kill himself ;)

And Kevin, Zappa never achieved the popularity Prince had in the '80s. He's earned the acclaim of critics but really never won over the mainstream. As far as I know, "Apostrophe" is his only album to go gold. I guess the "tongue-in-cheek" nature and absurdity of his songs cross the bounds of "good taste" for the casual rock fan.

Only Cobain didn't kill himself ;)

Yes he did...Some people think he didn't because he couldn't have shot himself with a full sized shotgun, but thats exactly what he did do. Just like Ernest Hemmingway and others. He pulled the trigger with his big toe. Unless there is some other arguement I'm not aware of...

I think the most overrated band right now is definetely U2. By far.

I don't know about ever...U2 again?

Yes he did...Some people think he didn't because he couldn't have shot himself with a full sized shotgun, but thats exactly what he did do. Just like Ernest Hemmingway and others. He pulled the trigger with his big toe. Unless there is some other arguement I'm not aware of...

I think the most overrated band right now is definetely U2. By far.

I don't know about ever...U2 again?

Actually I've done some research on the subject and can make a pretty good argument for conspiracy, but that would be a whole other thread. Hmm...maybe I'll do that.

As far as everyone above claiming that U2 is the MOST overrated band, now or ever, is an overstatement. Think, would U2 be the first band you'd turn off the radio if it came on? And many of their songs actually mean something; they hold some timeless value and appeal. I could definately picture people listening to U2 a hundred years from now. Plus, Bono seems like one of those "larger-than-life" characters - one of those guys you might roll your eyes to when his name is mentioned in conversation, but demands respect when he actually enters a room. Bob Dylan said being with Bono is like being on a train. It feels like you're moving and going somewhere. He's got the soul of an ancient poet, a philosopher. He's like the guy in an old movie, the one who beats up a rat with his bare hands and wrings a confession out of him.

And although The Edge might not have the greatest guitar chops, he creates original, atomspheric landscapes of sound that could fill two arenas. That's not a small feat.

Ehh...I still don't see WHY U2 is considered overrated. They still come out with (half) decent music, and they still appeal to the masses. Can you say the same thing with Metallica, Radiohead, Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, etc..? The Boss inducting them into the RnR Hall of Fame? I'm glad they've secured a place in the history of rock'n'roll, and I'm looking forward to what the band can still accomplish.