Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

Oi vey! This is what I get for tuning in late! So many opinions...so many people to agree with and so many to disagree with and so many with mixed opinions!

First of all, I think Ron Jon is absolutely right. The Beatles are being dissed because they're being compared to what they started. They WERE the pioneers... They WERE the first BAND and you can't expect the very first band to go into complicated solos. Whether they were or weren't the best instrumentalists ever is out of the question simply because what they did was create a revolution. Every band worth its salt today has the beatles to look up to. Even the Stones came later... and when they did, it was more as an anti-thesis to the Beatles (I think... I wasn't around at the time)

Being a fairly loyal U2 follower, I can understand why a lot of people would think they are overrated. Their music requires more thought than one is usually willing to give. I occasionally change to a different channel if a song of theirs turns up and I'm not in the mood to focus on the lyrics. They don't have any guitar solos, they aren't the hard-rocking type etc. I guess it's their longevity and Bono's work that's made them so huge.

Ditto for the Police. I like them too. Except a lot of their songs have the some sound. But there are some songs that tan out... "Don't Stand so Close to Me', 'King of Pain', 'Every Breath You Take'... all the big ones.

As for Nirvana, I like their songs but I completely agree they're overrated. Nirvana wasn't meant for fame. They're just a garage band and barring Dave Grohl, the other two didn't have what it takes. That suicide was what made the band... like how an artist's paintings only get buyers after his death. Oh and that 'Smells like Teen Spirit' helped too. Seems to be the only song you need to know before you claim you adore Nirvana and are madly in love with Kurt Cobain. 'Oh those eyes!!!'... Yech.

Other overrated bands... Nickelback, Creed, Green Day, Linkin Park (they call themselves a 'BAND'??), Good Charlotte, Hoobastank, all those other yelling, screeching bands that think angst=music and don't deserve to have their names mentioned

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I think Ron Jon is absolutely right. The Beatles are being dissed because they're being compared to what they started. They WERE the pioneers... They WERE the first BAND and you can't expect the very first band to go into complicated solos. Whether they were or weren't the best instrumentalists ever is out of the question simply because what they did was create a revolution. Every band worth its salt today has the beatles to look up to. Even the Stones came later... and when they did, it was more as an anti-thesis to the Beatles (I think... I wasn't around at the time)

Levys, RonJon is ALWAYS right!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with you on the Stones too, they were playing the "bad boys" role while the Beatles were supposed to be good guys... though John Lennon always said that it wasn´t true, that the Beatles were naughty boys and that the orgies during the tours were like in Fellini´s "Satyricon" (Rolling Stone Magazine, first big interview after the split, I remember that very very well...) "but we couldn´t talk about that because of our wives... I shouldn´t say this, Ringo and George are still maried" (sic)

Anybody remembers the slogan? "The Beatles just want to hold your hand, the Rolling Stones...????????????" help... ::

all those other yelling, screeching bands that think angst=music and don't deserve to have their names mentioned

I like how you phrased that, Levi's, angst=music. Can I expand it to screeching=angst=music? I kind of like Nickelback, though.... :o

How can you possibly say that Linkin Park is overrated?! When I think of "overrated" bands, I think of bands that are good but many people think too much of them and their music just doesn't compare with some better bands.

Linkin Park just flat-out sucks, so they shouldn't fall anywhere near this discussion.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :jester:

i don't know if it could be put any better. :bow:

How can you possibly say that Linkin Park is overrated?! When I think of "overrated" bands, I think of bands that are good but many people think too much of them and their music just doesn't compare with some better bands.

Linkin Park just flat-out sucks, so they shouldn't fall anywhere near this discussion.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :jester:

i don't know if it could be put any better. :bow:

i really don't see you your point about radiohead. why do you think they lack originality (i'm refering to their first 3 albums). i can't think of anyone who sounds like them, except for bands that came after them

Okay I guess I'll take back that they're "un-orignal" and say that I was never really "inspired" by their lyrics or guitar playing. I guess they're an acquired taste. *shrugs*

i don't see how you can judge REM without having listening to much of their music.

I listened to half of " The Best of REM: 1988-2003", so maybe it was a bad compilation.

Oh by the way invisible_r, here is a site I found about Radiohead that you might find interesting... greenplastic.com

I have had greenplasitc bookmarked ever since I got the internet. I love radiohead but I understand a lot of people don't like them. I know very few people here that do. I actually think that radiohead has some things in common with Pink Floyd. Its a really subjective feeling but I think that is one of the reasons that I really got into them. Both bands' albums are, to me, symphonic in scope. I know I am opening myself up to criticism but I really think there is a connection there.

So...can someone tell me what was so great about the Beach Boys?

=:P

If you have to ask.......being from England you may never have seen a real beach or white sand or SURF. Of course there was really only one surfer in the Beach Boys and he drowned.

How about their harmonies and Brian Wilson's songwriting?

:guitar:

Hi Diggs and Johnny. My best Mate/ Best Man at my Wedding is English so I'm not a Pom basher. Anything I say about the U.K. is "tongue in cheek" - not tongue in ear, that's Merv Hughes. :googly: Johnny you probably really had to be around in the 60s to properly appreciate the Beach Boys. They were one of the few U.S. acts to withstand the "British Invasion". :)

Well, strangely enough, although I am as old as Methusalah...I am probably about a year too young to fully appreciate either the Beatles of the Beachboys...they'd already made their impact on the British scene when I was waking up to music. I was a founder member of the Monkees fan club (true) and the first three singles I bought were...I'm a Believer (Monkees) Wild Thing (Troggs) and something by Herman's Hermits....all the older kids were into the Beatles, but I didn't have an older brother or sister so I wasn't quite in touch with what was 'hip'....I remember being in awe of a friend of mine who went to the Isle of White festival with his older brother (while his parents were away on holiday) and saw Hendrix, the Who, and god knows all what....aaaaagh! ::

I'm older than that Mate. I remember when 45s came in. The first 2 I bought were "Rock Around The Clock"/Bill Haley and "The Great Pretender"/Platters. And then of course came ELVIS !

I was a Monkees fan too - still am, and also of the Troggs and Herman's Hermits. I'll guess the HH single you bought was "No Milk Today" or "There's A Kind Of Hush". ???

Sixties music was great. I believe it was the most productive musical decade of my lifetime, and the 2000's certainly aren't about to surpass it.

Cheers, Darryl