Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say that any band that has become a social icon has become too big.

Here's my list:

Boston (how many ways can you play the same song?)

U2 (please lighten up, Bono)

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Neil was right)

Nirvana (death does not equal martyrdom)

Beatles (bigger than Jesus? you lost me right then)

Oasis (think Beatles)

Limp Bizkit (huh?)

Led Zeppelin (I haven't been 15 for a long time)

Enjoy!

a) I would have to say Pearl Jam. I know they haven't gotten much commercial success as of late, but it seems to be big news everytime they're back in the studio.

B) I would have to say The Beatles. I've just never understood what all the fuss is about.

Totally wrong. won't try to reason with you; just do me a favor and take a listen to the White Ablum. compare to what you here in today's rock.

Wow. Just wow. Oh well that's your views, I'll respect them. I'm just an opinionated teenager after all, no reason you should like what I like. ANYWAY I've always thought synth rock bands like Styx and Kansas were overrated. I also think Greenday is EXTREMELY overrated.

OO yes definitely Greenday, especially when it comes to graduations from 8th grade and high school. Actually Hendrix isn't nearly as overrated as Zep now that I think of it, but just Greenday's Good Riddence blows all others out of the pool...

Two words...The Doors!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :doh:

Amen to that, Sammy! Although I do like L.A. Woman and Riders On The Storm (?), the rest of their stuff leaves me cold. Did they actually have a guitar player in the band? I don't think I've ever heard a guitar solo in one of their songs.

:happybanana:

Totally wrong. won't try to reason with you; just do me a favor and take a listen to the White Ablum. compare to what you here in today's rock.
Typical view of a close-minded Beatles fan. A true music fan listens to the music. A music fan is an artist, not a connasiure(sic). A true music fan doesn't view the music through a template, or in a context. When you listen to music, Time and Place should not exist. If you are still in reality when you listen to a song, you will have a skewed view. For instance if you say "Strawberry Fields Forever is revolutionary because it uses backmasking and a mellotron", or "yer birthday is fun song to dance to or to play at a party", you have a skewed view of the music. You shouldn't think about anything other than the music when you listen to it (for example: how different it was than music of that time, what cool instruments it used, how cool the concept was, how cool some technical aspects were). That doesn't make it good music. All those things are a direct reflection on the musician himself and not the music. A cool instrument or new sound makes him an innovative thinker, a cool concept makes the artist creative, fast technical riffs make the musician a talented or fast player. None of those make the music any better (or worse, for that matter). The music is all about feeling. When bands started using mellotrons and vibratones and synthesizers and theremins and whatnot, they may have been doing it to seem innovative, or they may have really been doing it because they felt that conveyed the emotion of the song. But the problem with these new instruments, and the songs they are used in, is they are widely viewed by the general audience as an innovative stepping stone, rather than a well written and moving (or bad and poorly written) piece of music. So if you listen for innovativeness and cleverness when you hear a song, you don't have the right to comment on it. Frankly, I think the Beatles on a lot of music spent more time on being different and technologically innovative than worrying about the music. Don't get me wrong, There's a lot of great stuff on the White Album, and Abbey Road is one of my all time favorites. But things like Sgt. Peppers, the music is pretty good. Not amazing. The producing and effects and instrumentation is amazing. But we're focusing on the music, and not the producing, effects, and instrumentation. So if you are focusing on those things, you have no basis to argue with a person who is actually listening to the music, rather than the producing.

I don't think I've ever heard a guitar solo in one of their songs.

I like The Doors. A lot of people find their music dull, and I would say I understand where they are coming from. But The Doors speak to me. They are another band that strike a chord with me. Not so much as Pink Floyd or ELO, but they still touch me. Also, Light My Fire? That had a guitar solo. But you are right, for the most part, their music is somewhat dull. But you could say the same about a lot of Pink Floyd. I like music that expresses the emotion it's supposed to. Taking a song about a death of a loved one and making it a modern day punk song, for example, just clouds up the emotions and feelings behind the song. So if music is dull, but it makes you feel the way it should, I enjoy it.

Typical view of a close-minded Beatles fan. A true music fan listens to the music. A music fan is an artist, not a connasiure(sic). A true music fan doesn't view the music through a template, or in a context. When you listen to music, Time and Place should not exist. If you are still in reality when you listen to a song, you will have a skewed view. For instance if you say "Strawberry Fields Forever is revolutionary because it uses backmasking and a mellotron", or "yer birthday is fun song to dance to or to play at a party", you have a skewed view of the music. You shouldn't think about anything other than the music when you listen to it (for example: how different it was than music of that time, what cool instruments it used, how cool the concept was, how cool some technical aspects were). That doesn't make it good music. All those things are a direct reflection on the musician himself and not the music. A cool instrument or new sound makes him an innovative thinker, a cool concept makes the artist creative, fast technical riffs make the musician a talented or fast player. None of those make the music any better (or worse, for that matter). The music is all about feeling. When bands started using mellotrons and vibratones and synthesizers and theremins and whatnot, they may have been doing it to seem innovative, or they may have really been doing it because they felt that conveyed the emotion of the song. But the problem with these new instruments, and the songs they are used in, is they are widely viewed by the general audience as an innovative stepping stone, rather than a well written and moving (or bad and poorly written) piece of music. So if you listen for innovativeness and cleverness when you hear a song, you don't have the right to comment on it. Frankly, I think the Beatles on a lot of music spent more time on being different and technologically innovative than worrying about the music. Don't get me wrong, There's a lot of great stuff on the White Album, and Abbey Road is one of my all time favorites. But things like Sgt. Peppers, the music is pretty good. Not amazing. The producing and effects and instrumentation is amazing. But we're focusing on the music, and not the producing, effects, and instrumentation. So if you are focusing on those things, you have no basis to argue with a person who is actually listening to the music, rather than the producing.

You make some pretty good points here. However, I don't think anyone ever claimed the Beatles were great musicians. That's not the issue here, I don't think.

I have to disagree though, when you say you should only think about the music when you listen. Music also evokes emotions, reninds you of a certain time in your life, of that special person.

No, music isn't just about the instruments and the chords and whatnot. It's much deeper than that.

Radiohead for thier lack of originalness.

Van Halen is overrated, the only reason to listen to them is because of Eddie.

I know I'm going to get shot here, but I think that Deep Purple is way overrated, I don't find anything about them that makes them THAT good as almost everyone puts them as.

I haven't listen to much of R.E.M., but from what I have heard it's pretty much overrated crap(to put in bluntly.)

I like The Doors. A lot of people find their music dull, and I would say I understand where they are coming from. But The Doors speak to me. They are another band that strike a chord with me. Not so much as Pink Floyd or ELO, but they still touch me. Also, Light My Fire? That had a guitar solo. But you are right, for the most part, their music is somewhat dull. But you could say the same about a lot of Pink Floyd. I like music that expresses the emotion it's supposed to. Taking a song about a death of a loved one and making it a modern day punk song, for example, just clouds up the emotions and feelings behind the song. So if music is dull, but it makes you feel the way it should, I enjoy it.

I like the Doors too. I didn't like them at first though, when I just heard their greatest hits album. When I heard more, I realized that I really like their psychadelic stuff, much more than their more pop-ish hits.

I may as well join in the fracas. Being a huge KISS fan, I will be the first to say they are not the greatest musicians. Nor are they the best songwriters. But they put on the greatest show on earth.

Exactly jr. I've never said they have the most fantastic songs, or could write the greatest lyrics, but they are crowd-pleasers, and their shows are incredible from the footage I've seen.

Radiohead for thier lack of originalness.

I haven't listen to much of R.E.M., but from what I have heard it's pretty much overrated crap(to put in bluntly.)

i really don't see you your point about radiohead. why do you think they lack originality (i'm refering to their first 3 albums). i can't think of anyone who sounds like them, except for bands that came after them!

i don't see how you can judge REM without having listening to much of their music.

as for the doors, i love them because i think their music is different (psychedelic like batman already said), plus they had really good lyrics in most of their songs.

You make some pretty good points here. However, I don't think anyone ever claimed the Beatles were great musicians. That's not the issue here, I don't think.

I have to disagree though, when you say you should only think about the music when you listen. Music also evokes emotions, reninds you of a certain time in your life, of that special person.

No, music isn't just about the instruments and the chords and whatnot. It's much deeper than that.

amen. i'm not particually god at any one instrument, i can play ONE handed piano (i know it pathetic), so i don't really now what going on with the intrustrments, etc.

All i know is it sounds good, and i like it.

the reason i said listen to the white ablum is that sooooooooooooo many people today have heard one or two songs by the beatles, usually the early stuff ( :thumbsdown:), and don't really know how much they formed tdays rock music.

i just reread the end of yr post - the music is the producing, effects, and instrumentation. Music , to me is aything, nothing and everything. why do you think i'm here?

The Police. I never understood what all the fuss was about. IMO, Sting has one of the most annoying voices in popular music. He once disdainfully dismissed Foreigner as a band lacking originality, but crikey, if you've heard one Police song, you've pretty much heard them all. They all have the same vaguely reggae beat and insipid lyrics.

I never liked Police. In fact, I dislike Police. And I don´t like Sting neither.

"Every breath you take" is the only song I like.

I've heard the White album. I've heard Sgt. Pepper's. I just don't see what's so great. I'm not going to sit here and say that they weren't one of the most influential bands from that time. I just don't like them and don't see what all the fuss is about.

A couple of my favorite bands, U2 and The Police, are getting bashed around on this thread. While I don't agree with the opinions, I respect them. I don't feel the need to question why somebody doesn't like U2. It seems that Beatles fans sit there and stare at you with their mouth hanging open when you say you don't care for them. That's one more reason that fuels my dislike for them. They're held in such reverence, it drives me crazy.

A band I think is highly overrated today is Linkin Park. I think it's a generational thing...I am not an angst-ridden teenager and never was, really, so I can't relate. I haven't heard a lot by them, granted, but what I have heard just sounds whiny/screamy/depressing to me.

Of all time.....I don't know. I think it's a tie between Pink Floyd and AC/DC. For PF, I think their music is an acquired taste that I haven't acquired. I do like some of their songs, but I don't get excited over them.

AC/DC...I just can't stand them. They actually play good music, but once the screeching vocals start, I have to turn the radio off. It's like listening to a cat being tortured.

I'm not bashing these bands or the people who like them....just my opinion, that's all.

How can you possibly say that Linkin Park is overrated?! When I think of "overrated" bands, I think of bands that are good but many people think too much of them and their music just doesn't compare with some better bands.

Linkin Park just flat-out sucks, so they shouldn't fall anywhere near this discussion.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :jester: