Most Inexplicably Over-rated Bands

johnnyguitar

I know that this is contraversial so no flaming or falling out about this...but, who do you think are the most over-rated and inexplicably popular bands a)Around

b)Of all time

I have my opinions, but I'm a bit afraid to voice them just in case, you too, do not agree. Lets hear from those unafraid to voice their dislikes and dismay. I may have left a clue about one of my pet hates. ::

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've always been scared of admitting it, but seeing as maddy agrees with me, yes, i do think u2 are overatted, in fact , i disagree with "joshua tree" being the second greatest album of all time (see other thread). also, i was quite annoyed when i watched the "uk music hall of fame" , where they were placed in the hall of fame by default, i.e. without public voting (along with the beatles, bob marley, madonna and elvis i think).

The Police. I never understood what all the fuss was about. IMO, Sting has one of the most annoying voices in popular music. He once disdainfully dismissed Foreigner as a band lacking originality, but crikey, if you've heard one Police song, you've pretty much heard them all. They all have the same vaguely reggae beat and insipid lyrics.

I know I'm going to be roasted for this one, but I think Pink Floyd is overrated. It's not that I hate their music, it's just that I don't think they're the brilliantly original band they have been made out to be. To each his own, I guess!

:guitar:

I'd say the Beatles, but I understand why they're overrated. Because they made strides as far as concepts and producing went. But I would have to say, KISS and Aerosmith are two bands that I just can't think of any logical reason why they are loved so much. I absolutely can't stand Aerosmith. I heard one song on the radio that was alright, I think it was Mama Kin. Their songs are pretentious, have stupid names, and cliches that mean nothing. My least favorite song has got to be between Sweet Emotion and Walk This Way.

The Police. I never understood what all the fuss was about. IMO, Sting has one of the most annoying voices in popular music. He once disdainfully dismissed Foreigner as a band lacking originality, but crikey, if you've heard one Police song, you've pretty much heard them all. They all have the same vaguely reggae beat and insipid lyrics.
Amen, Brother. Also, with all the hype about Pink Floyd, I understand why someone would think they're overrated. Unless you connect to their music, that is to say, just hear the music, and not really deeply listen, or be able to relate to, it may seem dull. And then you have a bunch of Pink Floyd fansites and shirts and fans everywhere.

I find Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana are terribly overrated. Some of its okay but I find many of their songs reduntant, dry and cliched. No offense, I used to like the first two (never liked Nirvana), but after finding my own nitch in music, they just kinda died out for me.

And I also disagree about U2, one of my favorites and were I am very underrated if anything, about 1/4 of the radio stations near me never heard of them and think they're a new rap band :P.

Creed, I have no idea how a talent scout survived the amount of dope that it had to haved taken to sign those guys to a label, I mean he would have had to be smoking beyond Sammy levels of crack.

And I'll add every single 'Well, we're a Christian rock band, but we sing secular music' band into that list as well.

I find Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana are terribly overrated. Some of its okay but I find many of their songs reduntant, dry and cliched. No offense, I used to like the first two (never liked Nirvana), but after finding my own nitch in music, they just kinda died out for me.

Wow. Just wow. Oh well that's your views, I'll respect them. I'm just an opinionated teenager after all, no reason you should like what I like. ANYWAY I've always thought synth rock bands like Styx and Kansas were overrated. I also think Greenday is EXTREMELY overrated.