Floyd Favorites

bparker1188

I think anyone would say that Pink Floyd is usually recognized by their later works ( The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon,) but I have grown to like the earlier Floyd better. What is your favorite Pink Floyd song and albulm before The Wall was released

song- Remember A Day, Stay, Chapter 24

albulms- 1. Saucerful of Secrets

2. Obscured by Clouds

3. Piper At the Gates of Dawn

Obscured by Clouds - "The Gold It's In The..." and "Wot's, the Deal" are my favourite songs on that record.

Meddle: "One of these days" and "Echoes" stand out, but the whole album is best taken as one piece, as all Floyd records are.

The Nile Song and Cymbaline from the More LP blow me away too.

"Several Species...." from Ummagumma makes my head spin, and that's without taking drugs!

Interstellar Overdrive has to be on a list of pre-Dark Side classics too. Tumbleweed did an admiral job of covering it as the secret track on their "Galactophonic" LP. That record is a lost classic and is definitely worth a look too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know that this post is befitting of your reply requests, however, the best sound engineering project for an album would definately go to "Dark side of the moon".

As an LP on vinyl; it is the best recorded album of all time. Got a copy myself, and the CD cannot do it justice like the LP can! So much more power in the vinyl than there could ever be from the CD's. I only wish that those who would deni this had some experience with the LP's before judgeing.

Dark Side was my first Pink Floyd album then

The Wall then

Wish You Were Here then

The Final Cut and finally

A Momemtary Lapse of Reason

in the order of when I bought them not when they came out.

I have listened to some of their earlier stuff and haven't liked it all that much. Their later stuff like The Final Cut and A Momemtary Lapse of Reason seems to get overlooked as well although I really like it. I put A Momemtary Lapse of Reason in the player while I'm writing this. I know Waters isn't on the CD but I still like it. Syd Barrett wasn't on Dark Side either.

The vinyl, digital idea must work for some but not for me for several reasons that I thought it would be fun to list.

CDs have a greater dynamic range (highest decible level of the song minus the lowest decible level of the song) than does vinyl. This is more important when listening to classical music than rock but it bears mentioning because a CDs capability to record both soft and loud sounds is almost twice as much as vinyl.

CDs can record high frequency sounds better than vinyl, again, not as important when just listening to rock music.

CDs don't get damaged, vinyl does.

CDs can be played anywhere, vinyl can't.

People who love vinyl often says it has a 'warmer' feel than does a CD. High frequency sounds are difficult to get onto vinyl without a good deal of distortion. Getting your turntable to reproduce the high frequencies is even more difficult. With less high frequency sound being heard the listener often turns up the volume. By doing this you increase all the volume but since there is less high frequency sound getting through it sounds like the bass and midrange are louder in comparison to the high frequency sounds. Some could call this sound, 'warmer'.

Another thing to consider is the distortion that is a part of anything on vinyl. The turntable's tonearm is only in the proper position for playback one time on each side of the album. The angle that it is off is +/- 3 degrees, +/- .5 degrees for linear turntables, however I don't believe they make linear turntables any more. Anything rubbing against something else (stylus against vinyl) also makes a noise no matter how high-end your equipment is. All of this adds distortion that should be avoided not celebrated.

Finally, high-end turntables just cost too much money when you can buy a CD player for 40 bucks. I never bought cassette tapes, always albums until CDs came out. I switched happily. I wasn't old enough to drive before we had CDs so I avoided that 'buy the album, then record a tape to play in the car' ordeal that some people went through. It's not that I'm cheap, almost none of my stereo stuff came from Best Buy. It's just that I like the CDs better than vinyl for all the reasons I listed above.

Cindy, all of your statements about vinyl I disagree with. :laughing:

I guess it's the fact that I grew up with vinyl and when I compare any record to a CD I pick the record every time.

Vinyl to me has more "bite" than a CD. Also, IMO, vinyl is much more durable than a CD. Get a little nick on a CD and it's ruined. Get a little nick on an album and just place a penny on the stylus...good as new!

Albums had real covers, unlike the poor excuse of what now are jewels.

CDs are far more convenient than albums I'll give them that. But to me, they haven't the substance of a good, well taken care of album.

A lot of the mumbo jumbo you talked about looks great on meters and gages but the human ear is oblivious.

But the CD versus vinyl has always been a topic of debate between me and my younger friends.

Here's a few side to side comparisons:

Vinyl doesn't oxidize to any measurable extent. It is suggested that vinyl records will have a life span comparable to fine parchment paper if cared for properly. Somewhere in the 100s to 1,000s of years. Various authorities suggest that, depending on the care taken during the manufacturing process, CDs will last between 20 and 100 years...maybe.

Other than the label, most vinyl records are made of 100% vinyl. This simplicity allows for the great stability and life span of vinyl when compared to CDs. As long as the vinyl is kept away from direct light or moisture, the compounds are very stable.

Besides the silk screened or painted label, CDs are made of 3 distinct layers - a single thin aluminum layer sandwiched between two thick layers of plastic. While the plastic layers are very stable, and should last indefinitely, the aluminum layer is suspect. If the manufacturing process isn't perfect, or cracks develop in the plastic protective layers, the CD will oxidize and be destroyed. A simple, though expensive, solution to this problem is to use a gold layer instead of aluminum.

The big debate. Like you said, many audiophiles feel that vinyl has a more "warm" sound and better sound production than CD. Additionally, at moderate volume, few people can tell the difference between a good quality vinyl record and the best CD. Some bands, including U2, still record on analog equipment to capture the warm sound many feel CDs lack. Add in the ability to "mix" vinyl records more easily in a club setting, and many feel vinyl is the better choice!

To me, it's all in what an individual hears, not what they read and for my ears, it's vinyl. I don't really care if my albums last a thousand years, I won't be around to hear them. lol

• 1 month later...

From each album (or most of them)

Piper at the Gates of Dawn - The Scarecrow

Saucerful of Secrets - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Ummagumma - Astronomy Domine

Atom Heart Mother - Atom Heart Mother

Relics - See Emily Play

Meddle - One of These Days

DSotM - Brain Damage/Eclipse

WYWH - Wish You Were Here

Animals - Dogs

The Wall - Comfortably Numb (2nd-Waiting for the Worms)

Final Cut - Your Possible Pasts

MLoR - On the Turning Away

Division Bell - Take it Back

Pulse - Time (live)