Country/Folk Rock

Addictedtoclassic

So one musical genre that seems to have a huge concert following but seems to get very little air play is the Country (and Folk) Rock genre. So I decided to start a nice idle discussion about it. Who's your favorites, what's your favorite songs, who have you seen in concert, do you have any Songfacts, any bits of information.

For those who don't know who is defined as Country Rock, here's a listing...

- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

- Poco

- Pure Prairie League

- The Eagles (Country/Soft Rock)

- Charlie Daniels Band (Country/Southern Rock)

- The Marshall Tucker Band (Country/Southern Rock)

- The Byrds

- Bob Dylan (Country/Soft Rock)

- Buffalo Springfield (Country/Soft Rock)

- Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young (Country/Soft Rock)

- Alabama

- The Band

If you look at the band listings, this is a very old genre with some pretty deep roots.

With the exception of Poco, Alabama and The Charlie Daniels Band, I like all of the artists on Aaron's list, particularly The Eagles and Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young. I just find Poco and Alabama a little too country for my taste. One of my favourite albums is Will The Circle Be Unbroken by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. The album features some amazing bluegrass, country and folk artists. I highly recommend it.

:D

I am not sure if this is country rock but there is a new musician named Steven Clawson out of Nashville. He can do everything from Elvis to pop and everything in between . You can find his site by going to google and putting in hisname . You can tell me if itis country rock. thanks

and don't fergit -

Linda Rondstadt up until 1977.

+ with the Stone Poneys

or

Emmylou Harris

and

the New Riders of the Purple Sage

:bow:

or the old Palomino Club / North Hollywood

Here's this article again

_ _ _ _ _

Panama Red, Panama Red,

He'll steal your woman then he'll rob your head

Panama Red, Panama Red,

On his white horse Mescalito, he'll come breezin' thru town

Bet his woman's off in bed with ol' Panama Red

I like America, The Byrds, The Band, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield and Fleetwood Mac but my faves are The Eagles :rockon:. I paid a huge amount to see them last November in Sydney and it was well worth it. They're a great, great band! They've got so many good tunes, but I really like 'Certain Kind Of Fool' where Randy Meisner sings lead. Glenn Frey is my fave Eagle though. Oh and I really like Joe Walsh's solo stuff and his work with the James Gang.

:bow: :guitar: :thumbsup:

Two other country or folk rock bands that are very good are both from Canada. Blue Rodeo and Prairie Oyster. Another little known one is the Co-Dependents out of Calgary. They play everything from swing to Elvis. The group's leader is Billy Cowsill. :shades:

Oh man, I'm on such an Emmylou Harris jag right now. She is flat-out amazing. If you don't own the album "Red Dirt Girl" and you like the country-rock stuff, you need to go out and find it. Dave Matthews guests on it, and Sarah McLachlan called it "the most perfect album ever made."

I love Blue Rodeo's song "5 Days in May" too. Can you recommend anything else by them that I really need to hear?

Oh, and this might be a stretch for this category, but I've always had a soft spot for Nanci Griffith. Some of her stuff is pretty countryfied, but when she does the folkie thing it's really beautiful.

I love Blue Rodeo's song "5 Days in May" too. Can you recommend anything else by them that I really need to hear?

Most of their material is good, but other than the song you mentioned, I particularly like "Till I Am Myself Again", "Try", and "Trust Yourself".

Jethro Tull is great. They would be folk-rock, not country-rock. And not really southern-folk. And every once in a while, Led Zeppelin did folk rock.

Welllllll, ok Batman. But you must note the distinction "English Folk/Classics Rock. Then of course you'd have to include Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Renaissance, Steel Eye Span and a number of others.

There's gotta be room in here somewhere for Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth. Anyone have a copy of Going Back To Tennessee by them? Been looking for years.

• 2 weeks later...