live song spoken introductions

Batman

Inspired by Jonnyguitar's recent similar thread. In live albums, what are some introductions, that are spoken, that you like for some reason or another? Here are some examples:

Ozzy usually starts a song out by saying "heres a song called Children Of The Grave" or "Here's a song called Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." I like it because it's kind of funny, it sounds like he's introducing a never before heard song, even though it's a huge hit.

I was reading Rolling Stone magazine, and they had a funny one. Before Jimi Hendrix did "Wild Thing" at the Monterey Pop Festival, he said "this one's dedicated to anyone out there with any kind of hearts or ears."

This live spoken introduction has long been a favorite of mine. It must have been great to be in the audience that night.

J. Geils

Musta Got Lost

(Spoken)

Hold on this song has a little introduction to it

It's ain?t supposed to be sad though you might feel it that way

It's a song about desperation,

Every now and then we do get desperate

This is a song about L-O-V-E,

and if you abuse it you're gonn' lose it

and if you lose it you're gonn' 'buse and

if you 'buse it you aint gonn' be able to choose it

cuz you aint gonn' have it further on down the line

things aint gonn' be so fine

you're gonn' to be sitting there on your little.. machine

tryin to look and keep it clean and

You?re going to be home playing bingo all night all alone

and that's why your sittin there by the telephone

and you know that she ain't goin to call you!

So you put on the TV and you're watchin Johnny Carson

segwayin right into the Tomorrow show

but that don't got the go so you turn it off ya turn on the radio,

the radio don?t' seem to get the click so you say

"Hey Man, I can't lickety split"

You start to open up a little book

and there's somethin there you got to overlook

and you say "BABY, you know there's somethin on my mind!

"You say "Baby there's somethin on my mind -

I know that you're home and I know you aint all alone! "

So you start walking over to her house

and you get over to her house

and you walk over to her door and

you start poundin on her door and you say

"Open up the door b*tch!?

This is woofah goofah with the green teeth, 'n let me in!!"

Well, she opens up the door

and then you just kinda walk up to her and say

"Baby", (say Baby!) you look up way up at her green mascara

and you say "Oh my darling,

you know her and me was at the party as friends -

do not believe what they say

that's only gossip that they tellin ya -

a wise crack of lies!"

You say Darling!!!

Take your big curls and squeeze them down. Ratumba -

What's the name of the chick with the long hair?

(Rapunzel!) Hey Rapunzel!

Heh heh... Hey Reputa.........Reputa LaButa!

Hey Reputa LaButa, flip me down your hair

and let me climb up to the ladder of your love!!

Because this is the woofah goofah sayin to ya

"Love comes once and when it comes

you better grab it fast cuz sometimes the love

you grab aint gonn' last and

I believe I musta,

You know I think I musta,

You know baby I think I musta,

You know I think I musta,

I musta got lost!!!!!!!

1?2?3?

Ken...

I almost forgot a couple other Detroit favorites...

The intro to the MC5's live version of Kick Out The Jams is "right now, right now, right now, Kick Out The Jams Mother F_____"

Now I'll paraphrase Iggy Pop from Metallic KO, the last show for The Stooges. "What do you wanna hear? I think a good song for you would be a 55 minute Louie Louie, Do you want us to just play our set and be real slick or play Louie Louie.........LOUIE< LOUIE, I never thought it would come to this baby."

Of course, the ending is Iggy saying, "With that and Louie..I'd like to thank the person who through this glass bottle at my head and nearly killed me, but you missed again, you'll have to keep on trying next week." Then you hear the broken bottle kicked. Beautiful.

Grand Funk's Caught In The Act live album has a small introduction prior to playing We're An American Band. On it you hear a couple of children saying what they would like to be when they grow up. The 3rd or 4th child says I want to be a Rock and Roll star.....and with that Grand Funk goes into the song.

Bruce Springsteens spoken intro before 'War' (on Live 1975-1985), with the conclusion "Blind faith in your leaders, or blind faith in anything will get you killed".

U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday (on Under a Blood Red Sky): "There's been a lot of talk about this song, maybe too much talk. This song is not a rebel song, this song is Sunday Bloody Sunday".

Bruce Springsteens spoken intro before 'War' (on Live 1975-1985), with the conclusion "Blind faith in your leaders, or blind faith in anything will get you killed".

U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday (on Under a Blood Red Sky): "There's been a lot of talk about this song, maybe too much talk. This song is not a rebel song, this song is Sunday Bloody Sunday".

I forget which song it is, but there's another intro the Boss does on his live album where he tells a story about how him and his father always used to clash and his father always told him "You should join the army, they'll make a man out of you". Then, during Vietnam, Bruce went for his physical during the draft and got rejected. When he told his father, his father said "that's good". I'm not telling it great, but if you hear it, it's very touching.

U2 has one in Rattle and Hum at the beginning of "Helter Skelter": "Charles Manson stole this from the Beatles, we're stealing it back."

I have a live version of changes by yes.

"We're gonna continue with a song that Trevor wrote. Trevor's gonna sing yo a song from 90125. This is, a song that is about something we go through so many times every day. So many times. We go through Changes"

I forget which song it is, but there's another intro the Boss does on his live album where he tells a story about how him and his father always used to clash and his father always told him "You should join the army, they'll make a man out of you". Then, during Vietnam, Bruce went for his physical during the draft and got rejected. When he told his father, his father said "that's good". I'm not telling it great, but if you hear it, it's very touching.

U2 has one in Rattle and Hum at the beginning of "Helter Skelter": "Charles Manson stole this from the Beatles, we're stealing it back."

The Bruce song you're talking about is The River. :thumbsup:

'....any of you girls got any Irish in you?....would anyone like some? ::

(or words to that effect...Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous...possibly the best live album ever, IMHO) ::

Great album! For "The Rocker" he says "there's a song I wanna do (lets the excitement build) it's a song called the rocker!"